White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, one thing I truly find fascinating about this organization is their risk assessment; Jerry is more comfortable guaranteeing someone like Robert, who has never played a big league game, nearly 100 million dollars total, than he is doling out long term deals for veterans. I think the logic here is that Hahn has shown that he succeeds doing this, and Jerry is happy to accept that risk because their is a big potential reward for it. FA contracts really don't have huge possible rewards as they are almost always paid market value. A guy like Robert may actually end up being worth 200 million so Jerry will take the shot on him. It's interesting how they assess risk, and to be honest it's honestly something the White Sox might be the best in all of baseball at doing. 

I'm not sure I think they've taken on all that much risk. Who's more likely to be more valuable? Dallas Keuchal in 3 years or Luis Robert in 6? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

This is awesome.  This kid might be the most physical freak of nature that has ever laced up cleats.  He has Griffey jr like potential 

And we are getting him at the beginning of his career....although thanks for that throw in the black out game, Ken 😁

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

They did bring up a good point,  with the talent now maybe the lineups will no longer be an issue. 

Ricky is going to cause this team at absolute worst half a win with his lineup construction. There is nothing in sports more over analyzed than lineup construction. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

My guess on the breakout:

$5M signing bonus.  

2020: $1M

2021: $2.5M

2022: $5M

2024: $10M

2025: $12M

2026: $14.5M

2027; $16.5M club options; $3M buyout

2028: $18.5M club option, $3M buyout

According to Passan:

The max value is $88MM over eight years, including $20MM club options for 2026-27 with $2MM buyouts in each of the two seasons, Passan adds.

There's just something special about having your full squad on opening day.   The Sox have not given me that much of a roster to bail on an OD tailgate party to get into the stadium early for the intros.   I think this might be the first time since probably 2006 I plan to do it. 

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

There's just something special about having your full squad on opening day.   The Sox have not given me that much of a roster to bail on an OD tailgate party to get into the stadium early for the intros.   I think this might be the first time since probably 2006 I plan to do it. 

I wish Madrigal could join the party.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Ricky is going to cause this team at absolute worst half a win with his lineup construction. There is nothing in sports more over analyzed than lineup construction. 

How can you screw up this lineup?  We’re going to have potential all stars at 6 positions (yes counting Robert as a potential all star). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

According to Passan:

The max value is $88MM over eight years, including $20MM club options for 2026-27 with $2MM buyouts in each of the two seasons, Passan adds.

Updated guess on the breakout:

$5M signing bonus.  

2020: $1M

2021: $2.5M

2022: $5M

2023: $8.5M

2024: $11M

2025: $15M

2026; $20M club option; $2M buyout

2027: $20M club option, $2M buyout

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baron said:

On 670 they are talking about the manager. That's one of the bigger question marks now. Rick and his horrible lineups. 

I would think Rick will be watched very carefully from opening day on. The Sox have done too much good work this winter

just to let a dumb manager screw it up.

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm not sure I think they've taken on all that much risk. Who's more likely to be more valuable? Dallas Keuchal in 3 years or Luis Robert in 6? 

I love Robert, but all prospects have an inherent amount of risk attached. While I believe he's a safer prospect due to his 5 tool package, there's absolutely no guarantee he's a + player at the big league level. If he was below average, the Sox overpaid him by quite a bit. To use the poor Lewis Brinson comp that fangraphs fears, if he was anywhere near as bad as Brinson this would be an albatross of a contract. Obviously there's a lot of upside to cancel that out, but it's risky to guarantee 50+ million dollars to a guy who has never stepped foot on a big league field. There's a reason this is a record setting contract - as was Eloy's - and it's because the White Sox are one of the only teams in baseball willing to take on this kind of risk for their young stars.