White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

This doesn't necessitate putting him on the 40 man immediately, does it?   

edit: I believe that it does.  So we now need to remove 2 guys once this and EE and become official.  

Edited by ChiSox59

30 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I know this is off topic but God I want Mookie Betts in RF.

Offer Boston Vaughn, Dunning, Mazara and Basabe for Betts. Sign Betts to a 7 year $245 extension.

A guy can dream, can't he?

Why would Betts even consider signing an extension when he can hit free agency in a year? 

Sox are also not dealing all that young talent for a one year rental being paid $28 million in 2020. They will need young inexpensive players like Vaughn and Dunning to keep contention going. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No, he hasn't appeared in the majors so there was no reason for him to be on it yet.  

And hasn't been in the org long enough to be rule 5 eligible.  Makes sense.  I just assumed he was already on the 40 man.

Edited by SouthWallace

Its gonna be awfully hard for Renteria to mess up a lineup with a bunch of all-stars to shuffle around. Its a much different story when its ~0 war guys... but when you have Robert, Moncada, Jimenez, Abreu, Grandal, Anderson, Garcia, McCann ... I don't think the order in which they bat really matters as much as when you have 2 or 3 lineup threats.

** just typing that comma-delimited list of names gave me a semi

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This doesn't necessitate putting him on the 40 man immediately, does it?   

edit: I believe that it does.  So we now need to remove 2 guys once this and EE and become official.  

It does because this is a major league deal

There will have to be movement on the 40 man to add Robert and Encarnacion

I'd predict Zavala/Medeiros/Foster get waived

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Why would Betts even consider signing an extension when he can hit free agency in a year? 

Sox are also not dealing all that young talent for a one year rental being paid $28 million in 2020. They will need young inexpensive players like Vaughn and Dunning to keep contention going. 

I think the Sox view Mazara as a stop gap (unless he explodes and turns into a 3+ WAR player) and are planning to make a push to sign Betts when he's a free agent. There's no reason they can't, especially now that there's a bit more clarity around key piece salaries for the future. They have not converted on this tier yet, though, so I'm not optimistic.

• Like 1

Just now, almagest said:

I think the Sox view Mazara as a stop gap (unless he explodes and turns into a 3+ WAR player) and are planning to make a push to sign Betts when he's a free agent. There's no reason they can't, especially now that there's a bit more clarity around key piece salaries for the future. They have not converted on this tier yet, though, so I'm not optimistic.

Betts is likely looking at 10/$370 million in free agency, the Sox will not be touching numbers like that

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Betts is likely looking at 10/$370 million in free agency, the Sox will not be touching numbers like that

I'd rather they give Moncada some of that dough. Signing Betts would mean Moncada is a definite goner. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

And I said it before, but you just can't say this very often about the White Sox; they are the best in baseball at this and it's a really important and underrated aspect of rebuilding and sustaining success/window. The Cubs didn't extend anyone and now they are in a tough spot because they are up against the tax and they can't pay their young stars due to overpaid FA's. This is an excellent move by the White Sox to maximize their window, even if it does take on a bit more risk.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, almagest said:

Betts fits their target demographic more than Springer - Hahn said the Sox feel comfortable giving huge deals to guys under 30. Springer being older might mean they are more hesitant to offer him; regardless, I think the Sox make another huge splash next off-season as they'll still have a ton of money to work with now that they locked up Robert.