White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And I said it before, but you just can't say this very often about the White Sox; they are the best in baseball at this and it's a really important and underrated aspect of rebuilding and sustaining success/window. The Cubs didn't extend anyone and now they are in a tough spot because they are up against the tax and they can't pay their young stars due to overpaid FA's. This is an excellent move by the White Sox to maximize their window, even if it does take on a bit more risk.

Rizzo and <ahem> Starlin Castro.

So to your point, yeah, this is the Sox wheelhouse.

Edited by turnin' two

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather they give Moncada that dough. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And I said it before, but you just can't say this very often about the White Sox; they are the best in baseball at this and it's a really important and underrated aspect of rebuilding and sustaining success/window. The Cubs didn't extend anyone and now they are in a tough spot because they are up against the tax and they can't pay their young stars due to overpaid FA's. This is an excellent move by the White Sox to maximize their window, even if it does take on a bit more risk.

Outside of bullpen, possibly a 2B/OF, looking into Giolito and Moncada extensions are the smartest things the Sox can do right now. Lock up this core as long as possible.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Updated guess on the breakout:

$5M signing bonus.  

2020: $1M

2021: $2.5M

2022: $5M

2023: $8.5M

2024: $11M

2025: $15M

2026; $20M club option; $2M buyout

2027: $20M club option, $2M buyout

Pretty close:

No signing bonus.  

2020: $1.5M

2021: $3.5M

2022: $6M

2023: $9.5M

2024: $12.5M

2025: $15M

2026; $20M club option; $2M buyout

2027: $20M club option, $2M buyout

• Like 1

From the Fangraphs chat w/ Edwards today:

Stephen
2:09
Luis Robert's "Future Value" is just "55", which is equal to Nick Madrigal's (another White Sox prospect), for example. These projections aren't adjusted at all given Robert's 2019 minor league performance? Also, does today's news (contract extension) change his 2020 projections (considering he will likely play a whole season in the majors now)?

Craig Edwards
2:14
In some respects, the signing means very little for the White Sox. Depth Charts already had Robert slated for 120 games and 504 plate appearances. I think we can probably add 25 more games and 100 PA, so that will help his projections some. As for his 55 future value, I'm sure Kiley and Eric will factor in his performance last year, but in keep in mind they could have adjusted him up during the season last year and didn't. There are concerns about how his walk rates and swings and misses will translate at the big league level as well as him in center field. He's not quite as good of a prospect as Eloy Jiménez was last season due to those concerns with the bat, and even Jiménez struggled some to start the season. Also, a 55 is still one of the top 20-50 prospects in the game.

EDIT - I think there's enough risk here that this isn't a slam dunk.
Edited by daggins
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They gotta try and lock up Moncada if he has another big year.  Something in the 200 million range will get it done.  6 years 200 million with a bunch deferred.  Get him signed through 2027 with Robert.

Yeah; I don't think an extension makes sense for either side today. Moncada would be smarter to bet on himself one more year, duplicate his production and sky rocket his value. The Sox would be better off waiting to invest 200 million than investing 150ish now with some uncertainty about his sustained success.

I think locking up Abreu and Robert actually makes it easier to extend Yoan as well; assuming this is a fun year for them. I think we're looking/talking about a Yoan extension next year and not this one and that's OK with me.

• Like 2

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

They gotta try and lock up Moncada if he has another big year.  Something in the 200 million range will get it done.  6 years 200 million with a bunch deferred.  Get him signed through 2027 with Robert.

I'd try to lock up Moncada before he goes out and puts up a 6 WAR season and essentially ensures he does not sign an extension. 

55 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I believe he's stated he wants to wear 88.  

51 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

88 is what he is thinking according to a twitter comment posted in another thread.

edit:

54 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

He said on Instagram he will be wearing #88

Hell yeah. Love those weird ass numbers

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, daggins said:

Stephen
Luis Robert's "Future Value" is just "55", which is equal to Nick Madrigal's (another White Sox prospect), for example. These projections aren't adjusted at all given Robert's 2019 minor league performance? Also, does today's news (contract extension) change his 2020 projections (considering he will likely play a whole season in the majors now)?

Craig Edwards
In some respects, the signing means very little for the White Sox. Depth Charts already had Robert slated for 120 games and 504 plate appearances. I think we can probably add 25 more games and 100 PA, so that will help his projections some. As for his 55 future value, I'm sure Kiley and Eric will factor in his performance last year, but in keep in mind they could have adjusted him up during the season last year and didn't. There are concerns about how his walk rates and swings and misses will translate at the big league level as well as him in center field. He's not quite as good of a prospect as Eloy Jiménez was last season due to those concerns with the bat, and even Jiménez struggled some to start the season. Also, a 55 is still one of the top 20-50 prospects in the game.

I think there's enough risk here that this isn't a slam dunk.

ZZZZZZ; there stubbornness with Luis Robert is just ludicrous at this point.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Extending YoYo has to be long term priority #1.

3 minutes ago, daggins said:

Stephen

Craig Edwards

EDIT - I think there's enough risk here that this isn't a slam dunk.

I understand a bit of fangraphs restraint with Robert. He does not walk much, and there are some swing and miss concerns.

Lewis Brinson busting I'm sure gives them pause. That said Robert is extremely talented and just as easily could break out at the MLB level in 2020. Superstar upside for sure. 

• Like 1

Luis Robert has a really good swing. Its short and compact, no high leg kick. Seems like there is a problem with handling breaking balls and sometimes swings at balls out of the zone. Hopefully he gets better with time. Hope he can improve on his K to W, last year in the minors he had a total of 129 ks to only 28 bb. Has good power potential and good speed and most importantly gets alot of hits.

Sox are getting more interesting and exciting by the day.

Edited by Chisox378