White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

I understand a bit of fangraphs restraint with Robert. He does not walk much, and there are some swing and miss concerns.

Lewis Brinson busting I'm sure gives them pause. That said Robert is extremely talented and just as easily could break out at the MLB level in 2020. Superstar upside for sure. 

There are so many ways in which Brinson and Robert are nothing alike though; which is why I hate how lazy the comp is. Also, every single player in the big leagues will have a "comp" that ended up being a bust. 

To compare the two, let's just start with their MiLB iso's. Brinson' best season had ISO's of 236 and 231. Robert had an ISO of 296 between three levels last year. Robert's wRC+ was 20 points higher than Brinson best year.

Robert was the best player in MiLB last year; Brinson never held that title. 

The ONLY place they are similar is in their K/BB. It's a lazy comp.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Luis Robert has a really good swing. Its short and compact, no high leg kick. Seems like there is a problem with handling breaking balls and sometimes swings at balls out of the zone. Hopefully he gets better with time. Hope he can improve on his K to W, last year in the minors he had a total of 129 ks to only 28 bb. Has good power potential and good speed and most importantly gets alot of hits.

Sox are getting more interesting and exciting by the day.

Oh suddenly he's not too raw for the majors for you?

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There are so many ways in which Brinson and Robert are nothing alike though; which is why I hate how lazy the comp is. Also, every single player in the big leagues will have a "comp" that ended up being a bust. 

To compare the two, let's just start with their MiLB iso's. Brinson' best season had ISO's of 236 and 231. Robert had an ISO of 296 between three levels last year. Robert's wRC+ was 20 points higher than Brinson best year.

The lack of walks and strikeout rate are partially what holds me back from saying Robert is a sure fire star in the making. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/wander-franco/sa3007033/stats?position=SS

A guy like Wander Franco, posting that BB% and K% rate at his age against high A totally indicates a flat out elite future bat. 

I'm not comparing the two directly, but I'd like to see Robert draw a few more walks and cut down a little on the K's. Overall he should be dynamic in our lineup!

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Don't forget that Brinson's best season was also in Colorado Springs.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Roberts exit velos are very interesting.  He had a 90 mph avg which is good but not elite.  He hit 45% 95+ mph which is also good but not elite and 15% 105+ mph which is elite.    This tells me he has to make a little more consistent hard contact because when he does he hits the everlovin shit out of it. 

Wasn't he battling the thumb sprain for the first couple months?  Could explain some of that.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

ZZZZZZ; there stubbornness with Luis Robert is just ludicrous at this point.

Is he implying that Robert may not be good defensively in CF? I'm not going to say I watched a ton of his games but from everyone else, they say he can absolutely play great D.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

I love that kids around Chicago will start picking that for Little League. 74 was hugely popular last year.

Damn, when I played LL we got a number between 1-15 and it went from smallest size top getting 1 to biggest getting 15.

Just now, steveno89 said:

The lack of walks and strikeout rate are partially what holds me back from saying Robert is a sure fire star in the making. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/wander-franco/sa3007033/stats?position=SS

A guy like Wander Franco, posting that BB% and K% rate at his age against high A totally indicates a flat out elite future bat. 

I'm not comparing the two directly, but I'd like to see Robert draw a few more walks and cut down a little on the K's. Overall he should be dynamic in our lineup!

Yeah, but the issue with a guy like Robert is he had absolutely zero reason to change his approach. He was so dominant. Once he struggles a bit he may adjust quickly - hes clearly talented enough. 

Also, K/BB numbers dont correlate great from A ball to MLB. Franco is awesome and discipline matters but it's simply a skill that doesnt always transfer as you move up. You need to be able to hit the ball with authority in the big leagues to get the most out of good plate discipline.

11 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Luis Robert has a really good swing. Its short and compact, no high leg kick. Seems like there is a problem with handling breaking balls and sometimes swings at balls out of the zone. Hopefully he gets better with time. Hope he can improve on his K to W, last year in the minors he had a total of 129 ks to only 28 bb. Has good power potential and good speed and most importantly gets alot of hits.

Sox are getting more interesting and exciting by the day.

It is funny that your grandson taught you about K:BB ratio a few months ago and it launched you into this obsession with it. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Roberts exit velos are very interesting.  He had a 90 mph avg which is good but not elite.  He hit 45% 95+ mph which is also good but not elite and 15% 105+ mph which is elite.    This tells me he has to make a little more consistent hard contact because when he does he hits the everlovin shit out of it. 

Yeah, I think this is related to the fact that he doesnt really know which pitches to target quite yet. When he guesses right and squares it up he's an absolute monster. When he doesnt pick the right pitch with his aggressive approach he induces himself into softer contact.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Is he implying that Robert may not be good defensively in CF? I'm not going to say I watched a ton of his games but from everyone else, they say he can absolutely play great D.

Damn, when I played LL we got a number between 1-15 and it went from smallest size top getting 1 to biggest getting 15.

Right now Robert is a freak defensively. The concern is he's absolutely massive so people think he'll eventually size his way out of CF. Hes big and bulky but fast as all hell. Not something to worry about today though.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Not that it really matters, but I can’t believe Tayron Guerrero was DFAed instead of Dylan Covey. It’s unbelievable how long of a leash Covey has had considering how terrible he is.

He's better than Tayron Guerrero.