White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

26 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

But does he really have a low walk rate?   In Cuba from age 16-18 he had 600 at bats and had 80 walks and 100 strike outs.  Ok it's not American...but it is professional baseball...probably low A level?   For comparison sake Jose Abreu 16-18 years in Cuba had 700 at bats, 69 walks and 88 strike outs.  Cespedes had 600, 62 and 125; Yasiel Puig had 600, 69 and 88.  That looks like he has a better eye than any of those good major league hitters.

In the Dominican league at age 19 for the Sox he had 82 at bats with 22 walks and 23 strikeouts...short season and DSL...but still...didn't look like a disaster of a batting eye.  

At 20 he had the thumb injury most of the year.  At 21...ok walk to strike out rate was not good but when you are hitting .330 with 70+ extra base hits...don't take a walk seems good advice.   

I would expect some initial growing pains with Robert, but the talent is there for him to eventually thrive in the MLB. He's the type of prospect you dream on him putting it all together. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/mike-cameron/1070/stats?position=OF

Here’s to hoping Mike Cameron is the floor.

34+ fWAR his first eight big league seasons.   How ‘bout them apples?   That guy legit put up some really big numbers but was mostly appreciated by the average MLB fan.

Mike Cameron is the most underrated baseball player of the last thirty years. 

If Robert was as good as Cameron, that's a really great career and hes worth every dollar of his extension.

I actually made the Robert/Cameron comp on this site during the middle of last year: so I'm with you here Caufield.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Robert making OD lineup most likely would lead to Collins not being there, unless in the very unlikely scenario we don't add a platoon bat for Mazara. Assuming they hold off on extending Madrigal, Leury would be the OD 2B, and Engel would be the 4th OF. I think a Pence signing makes sense now more than ever.

Bench pre-Madrigal: Pence, Engel, Mendick, McCann

Once Madrigal comes up the bench would look like:

Leury: Backup IF, and CF

Pence: Backup RF, and LF

McCann: Backup C

Then I could see Engel and Mendick fighting for the last roster spot.

Collins could force his hands by having a strong spring and win a spot as the 5th bench bat, but not getting consistent ABs won't do him any favor, plus I'd much rather use the 26th spot on a bullpen arm.

• Like 1

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Robert making OD lineup most likely would lead to Collins not being there, unless in the very unlikely scenario we don't add a platoon bat for Mazara. Assuming they hold off on extending Madrigal, Leury would be the OD 2B, and Engel would be the 4th OF. I think a Pence signing makes sense now more than ever.

Collins could force his hands by having a strong spring and win a spot as the 5th bench bat, but not getting consistent ABs won't do him any favor, plus I'd much rather use the 26th spot on a bullpen arm.

He wasn't going to make it after the Encarnacion signing (though apparently not official yet).

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mike Cameron is the most underrated baseball player of the last thirty years. 

If Robert was as good as Cameron, that's a really great career and hes worth every dollar of his extension.

The good thing is we don't really have to push either Moncada or Robert on the basepaths too much with this type of offensive firepower.  We’re not going to be a manufactured run offense, although Anderson and Madrigal can still play that gane at the top or bottom. 
 Just taking the extra base on every occasion, rather than compiling 30-50 steals, hopefully that’s what Renteria preaches to them this spring.  Too much wear and tear on the body for the risk.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The good thing is we don't really have to push either Moncada or Robert on the basepaths too much with this type of offensive firepower.  We’re not going to be a manufactured run offense, although Anderson and Madrigal can still play that gane at the top or bottom. 
 Just taking the extra base on every occasion, rather than compiling 30-50 steals, hopefully that’s what Renteria preaches to them this spring.  Too much wear and tear on the body for the risk.

Eh, the balance of speed and power is what makes it so much fun. 

I'd say good luck getting Robert not to run; guy loves it. Can you blame him? If I ran like that I'd be stealing all day everyday.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eh, the balance of speed and power is what makes it so much fun. 

I'd say good luck getting Robert not to run; guy loves it. Can you blame him? If I ran like that I'd be stealing all day everyday.

Once Madrigal is up, this is easily the most exciting White Sox roster...ever? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I have no problem with Collins starting in AAA.  But I actually think the Sox stand pat in the OF right now.  Leury will be Mazara's platoon mate.  Mendick can cover 2B for the couple games Leury has to play RF against LHP early in the season.

I think the Sox more likely to add a cheap 1 year 2B.  I suppose it would be ideal if that guy could also play RF and end up being Mazara's platoon mate once Madrigal arrives, but the only FA that really fits that description at this point is Zobrist.  

This also highlights the dilemma the Twins have with both Berrios and Buxton, as we’ve previously discussed how long to hold onto Moncada and Giolito in a “worst-case“ scenario.

Both have adamantly refused to sign extensions, and have just two years left before free agency, at least according to FG.

(Buxton, fwiw, perhaps is the worst-case scenario, 7.6 fWAR...but the White Sox would save $36 million on the back-end of the Robert deal, so they’re protected in both scenarios.)

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have no problem with Collins starting in AAA.  But I actually think the Sox stand pat in the OF right now.  Leury will be Mazara's platoon mate.  Mendick can cover 2B for the couple games Leury has to play RF against LHP early in the season.

I think the Sox more likely to add a cheap 1 year 2B.  I suppose it would be ideal if that guy could also play RF and end up being Mazara's platoon mate once Madrigal arrives, but the only FA that really fits that description at this point is Zobrist.  

Zobrist on a cheap one year deal could make sense^

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Back to Gennett?  Did he sign already?

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Back to Gennett?  Did he sign already?

I'd be fine with Gennett or Dietrich as a cheap stop gap 2B fill in, then bench piece.  Neither has signed yet.  But both hit lefty so neither would be a good platoonmate for Mazara down the line.  

Sox could use someone that can cover 3B for a couple weeks.  We really don't have anyone on the roster to cover 3B.  I guess Leury could do it, but I don't think that'd be very pretty. Honestly, I kind of think the Sox resign Yolmer at this point on like a 1 year $3M deal.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be fine with Gennett or Dietrich as a cheap stop gap 2B fill in, then bench piece.  Neither has signed yet.  But both hit lefty so neither would be a good platoonmate for Mazara down the line.  

We need to add some form of a 2B/OF Utility player in the event of an injury or two as well

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This also highlights the dilemma the Twins have with both Berrios and Buxton, as we’ve previously discussed how long to hold onto Moncada and Giolito in a “worst-case“ scenario.

Both have adamantly refused to sign extensions, and have just two years left before free agency, at least according to FG.

(Buxton, fwiw, perhaps is the worst-case scenario, 7.6 fWAR...but the White Sox would save $36 million on the back-end of the Robert deal, so they’re protected in both scenarios.)

Buxton now has three years of control left after they left him in the minors 2 years ago after his injury.  Would have been a FA after 2021 with Sano.  Now its after 2022.