White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is the answer. Pretty incredible peak for Allen. I always knew he was good, but I had no idea he had a historically great offensive season like that.

And now he posts on Soxtalk. Amazing turn of events.

I still can remember when he walked to the plate and they played "Jesus Christ Superstar". An amazing athlete and so fun to have watched!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

CWS thinks his 2019 should be tossed out because of marital issues, but he was pretty bad in 2017 as well. The fact that he’s turning 39 I think it’s the end of the road for him. Unless it’s a NRI invite to challenge Mendick for a spot I don’t want any part of him.

My order of preference for the last bat: Pence, Cabrera, Pillar

I would happily guarantee Zobrist $4M for 2020 if he’s game and simply release him after a month or two if he looked to be finished.  I  think the potential reward is totally worth the risk.  I definitely do NOT expect him to be the 2018 version of himself, but it’s pretty clear his off-the-field issues impacted him last year given he was unable play through them.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I just saw this photo, for the first time. He has added a considerable amount of muscle, in the last couple of years, but his body fat is still very low. That is the most impressive physique that I've ever seen, for a baseball player. 

I’ll be honest.  I have serious doubts that that is all natural.  If that picture isn’t photoshopped, that’s some horse steroids shit right there.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would happily guarantee Zobrist $4M for 2020 if he’s game and simply release him after a month or two if he looked to be finished.  I  think the potential reward is totally worth the risk.  I definitely do NOT expect him to be the 2018 version of himself, but it’s pretty clear his off-the-field issues impacted him last year given he was unable play through them.

The off field issues played a big role for sure, he could bounce back or he doesn’t. I am just not confident he does at that age. If the upside is in between his 2017 and 18 self, and downside is DFA after a few months, why take that risk over some of the less risky options out there.

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The off field issues played a big role for sure, he could bounce back or he doesn’t. I am just not confident he does at that age. If the upside is in between his 2017 and 18 self, and downside is DFA after a few months, why take that risk over some of the less risky options out there.

Which options are you referring to?

21 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I always just kind of assume Cuban players are juiced. I'm also convinced Trout is juiced to the gills too though. 

Trout definitely looks huge like a linebacker (Urlacher style) but I doubt he looks as yoked as Robert without a shirt on in that picture.  Trout may be taking the bulking roids but Robert is defined like a WWF wrestler.  He looks like Ravishing Rick Rude in that picture.  But I think he skips legs day.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mike Cameron is the most underrated baseball player of the last thirty years. 

If Robert was as good as Cameron, that's a really great career and hes worth every dollar of his extension.

I actually made the Robert/Cameron comp on this site during the middle of last year: so I'm with you here Caufield.

Agree! When the sox traded him I wasn't excited about it.  Glad to admit I was wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Agree! When the sox traded him I wasn't excited about it.  Glad to admit I was wrong. 

I don’t think this was a bad take at the time.  I was too.  He was a great defensive CF with massive power but he didn’t hit for average.  But you could see there was some raw talent there.  He was an exciting player and I wasn’t happy to see him traded.  Now we have Robert who potentially has all five tools.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Holt or Gennett...?

We're just one position (2B) away from having an all Latin-American/African-American starting line-up.

And actually, if you put Leury there for OD...

Anderson

Moncada

Abreu

Grandal (or EE)

EE (or Grandal)

Jimenez

Mazara

Robert

L.Garcia  (guess the last two are pretty interchangeable)

Broke up Grandal, Mazara, Leury and Moncada...that would be against RHP.   We could obviously move up Jimenez to 4/5 or move Abreu down depending on how they're hitting.

That gives you Top 5-10% MLB speed at 4 positions, as well as the power side of the equation from the sluggers (of course, Moncada, Robert and Anderson can also slug.)

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t think this was a bad take at the time.  I was too.  He was a great defensive CF with massive power but he didn’t hit for average.  But you could see there was some raw talent there.  He was an exciting player and I wasn’t happy to see him traded.  Now we have Robert who potentially has all five tools.

Genetics. Trout doesn't have the most flattering body type for putting on muscle. 

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the upside is 1.5-2 WAR player Pence, Cabrera and Pillar all provide that type of upside at lower risk. I know you wanted BZ for 2B/RF flexibility but Leury could handle the same position as well, IMO the bat we add should either be a stronger platoon or provide additional IF/OF depth.

Didn't realize Cabrera was only 34, had a 1.9 fWAR, projected at 1.6.

Not sure if he's going to be willing to sign the same contract Yolmer would have received to be a back-up...but we have options there and the positive is we should be able to find the right fit for a player/agent that really want to join the White Sox, rather than us having to "market/upsell" joining the team.

That's a sea change for the organization.

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Im going bold. Robert puts up a 3.5 WAR, wins rookie of the year, and has a playoff walkoff THIS season. I'd kiss Hahn today if I saw him.

Crazy thing is, if Robert plays 150+ games, he probably doesn’t need to hit much better than .250/.310/.420 to be a 3.5 win player. 

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mike Cameron is the most underrated baseball player of the last thirty years. 

If Robert was as good as Cameron, that's a really great career and hes worth every dollar of his extension.

I actually made the Robert/Cameron comp on this site during the middle of last year: so I'm with you here Caufield.

At this time Cameron's skills weren't as valued as today. He hit for decent power but his strengths were defense and ability to take a walk,  not things many cared about at this time. If he had played 10 years later people would have appreciated him more.

• Like 1