White Sox Sign Robert to Extension

Sleepy Harold

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Agree 100%, but usually what they disagree on is scouts don't care as much about actual production - "don't scout the stat line, scout the tools." Robert has, arguably, the loudest tools in minor league baseball and possibly the loudest tools in the world of Professional baseball.

You can get arguments about guys like Acuna and Tatis.   Tatis constantly showed off the best infield arm strength in baseball last year at age 20.  He also suffers from lapses in concentration and forces things because he’s so gifted he thinks he can make every play.  Soto has the loudest hit tool, but not the speed.

In a lot of ways, Tatis and Robert are similar in terms of height and speed.  Robert is more effortless gliding...like Devon White or Alex Rios.  Tatis is always hustling, and takes such huge strides...he would be Trevor Lawrence as a QB.  Both those guys have a lot of swing and miss in their game, and outside breaking stuff has been a notorious weak zone for nearly every every Latin American prospect in the history of the game.    Luckily, with the current Sox lineup and injection of guys like Grandal, EE, Mazara and Jimenez, there will be zero pressure for him to lead the team from Day One like there was in SD with the left side of that infield.

12 hours ago, bmags said:

Naw, his history suggests otherwise. Worry more about literally everyone after him.

I kind of agree with Eloy...seems like a decent chance Vaughn gets moved. If they want to augment this team at some point in the next year or two, he might be the only big trade chip left that isn't on the team yet. And it's not like he's playing a position the Sox are screaming for help at.

16 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’ve said it before, but if you ever have the chance, get to the Sox game early and just watch Luis warmup. Just watching him run is incredible.

I had the exact opposite reaction when I saw Eloy jog out to left field last year in Spring Training - very awkward stride when he runs.

10 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It’s always been his weakness.  I don’t see it changing as he gets older and worse.

I don't know...this lineup should make anyone realize the guy behind you can pick you up.  Batting Jose 4 through 6 would quite possibly help as well.  With this lineup the concept of pitching around someone is a lot less likely.

12 hours ago, Sarava said:

I kind of agree with Eloy...seems like a decent chance Vaughn gets moved. If they want to augment this team at some point in the next year or two, he might be the only big trade chip left that isn't on the team yet. And it's not like he's playing a position the Sox are screaming for help at.

Who we have at his position? He will be needed. It’s crazy to trade him. We should be able to get a couple bullpen a couple pieces from our minor league system soon. We have other players to use if we want to augment this team. Trading Vaughn would just create another hole in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Drwhoo1 said:

Who we have at his position? He will be needed. It’s crazy to trade him. We should be able to get a couple bullpen a couple pieces from our minor league system soon. We have other players to use if we want to augment this team. Trading Vaughn would just create another hole in the future. 

Like it or not, Jose Abreu was just re-signed for 3 years. I didn't say they have a long-term solution there. But it's not like CF or 2B (if Robert or Madigral were traded), where suddenly you have nobody to play the position.

As for crazy - here's where people get confused. You suggest someone might get traded, and they act like you're giving him up for nothing and that you gave up on the guy. That obviously is not the case. You would never move a guy like Vaughn unless something seriously big was coming back.

What if some team falters the first two months, decides to do somewhat of a rebuild, and offers a juicy young controllable pitcher and they want Vaughn back headlining the deal? All I'm saying is the Sox might think long and hard about something like that. I could see it happening.

20 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

It says that Robert would have been offered a $240 million contract if he were a free agent, so therefore, the Sox don't get credit and are still exploitative.

The Sox have committed $76M to Robert before his options have been considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DurhamStance said:

Very strange article indeed.  If Luis Robert breaks his neck tmr and is confined to a wheel chair the rest of his life he's SET.  His offspring are set.  His wife, his cousins, and so forth.  From the players' perspective they have to work within the framework of the CBA.  It's not like his agent wanted to take LESS of his cut by saving the Sox money.  No, his agent did the best he could given the current CBA.

• Like 1

The White Sox’ deal with Robert is similar in situation to fellow Cuban Eloy Jiménez, who also signed a slightly cheaper six-year deal with two team options before ever making a major league plate appearance.”

Well researched article here, considering Eloy is Dominican 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sox fans deserve for Robert to come in and light the world on fire. We haven't had anyone do that since...well as long as I can remember. 

Eloy Jimenez? 116 wRC+ and an .828 OPS may not be "lighting the world on fire", but it's quite good for a rookie 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Eloy Jimenez? 116 wRC+ and an .828 OPS may not be "lighting the world on fire", but it's quite good for a rookie 

Even if he did nothing else that homer to beat the Cubs is in my all-time best White Sox moments.

• Like 2