Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flavum

2020 Hall of Fame Voting

Recommended Posts

If Walker comes up a few votes short, that would be a shame. If you know a guy is going to be close to 75% and an eventual Committee vote guy anyway, vote for him. I never was a Larry Walker guy, but when you know it's eventual, just check the box and be happy for the guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Not going to bother reading, since we know what it’s about, but anyone that didn’t vote for Jeter, Walker, and Schilling this year, turned in a bad ballot.
I can accept not voting Bonds and Clemens if you’re not voting for roids guys, but Jeter and Schilling have the career accomplishments, and Walker got close enough last year, that he’ll be getting in someday with or without writers, so just do it. Walker is trending pretty good now. It’s going to be close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flavum said:

Not going to bother reading, since we know what it’s about, but anyone that didn’t vote for Jeter, Walker, and Schilling this year, turned in a bad ballot.
I can accept not voting Bonds and Clemens if you’re not voting for roids guys, but Jeter and Schilling have the career accomplishments, and Walker got close enough last year, that he’ll be getting in someday with or without writers, so just do it. Walker is trending pretty good now. It’s going to be close.

I get that Schilling is a bit of a bag and I probably would not get along with him personally, but he is a HOF pitcher. Not voting for him makes no sense in my opinion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BFirebird said:

I get that Schilling is a bit of a bag and I probably would not get along with him personally, but he is a HOF pitcher. Not voting for him makes no sense in my opinion. 

Reminds me of the Terrell Owens situation with the NFL hall of fame. Both guys had 0 off the field issues but because of "politics" neither guy won't be 1st ballot. Both guys grade A assholes, but their on field numbers speak for themselves. Makes you wonder if Ty Cobb was playing in this era how long he would've had to wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Reminds me of the Terrell Owens situation with the NFL hall of fame. Both guys had 0 off the field issues but because of "politics" neither guy won't be 1st ballot. Both guys grade A assholes, but their on field numbers speak for themselves. Makes you wonder if Ty Cobb was playing in this era how long he would've had to wait.

Except Owens was one of the top wide receivers of his generation...Schilling was VERY VERY good, and certainly had great post-seasons, but he also has some pf that halo from playing for the Red Sox and the Bloody Sock game.   Had he played for the White Sox instead, not sure he gets in until the veterans committee later on down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought Ryne Sandburg wasn’t worthy of the HOF. Not in the top 100 in career hits, HR, RBIs, Runs, SB and others. He always lead the league in clean uniforms , though. 

His 60 WAR is 8 less than Lou Whitaker’s 68. 

Edited by Baker
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Reminds me of the Terrell Owens situation with the NFL hall of fame. Both guys had 0 off the field issues but because of "politics" neither guy won't be 1st ballot. Both guys grade A assholes, but their on field numbers speak for themselves. Makes you wonder if Ty Cobb was playing in this era how long he would've had to wait.

Cobb would still be a first ballot guy. Especially since his “reputation” is more or less bullshit. 
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Baker said:

I always thought Ryne Sandburg wasn’t worthy of the HOF. Not in the top 100 in career hits, HR, RBIs, Runs, SB and others. He always lead the league in clean uniforms , though. 

His 60 WAR is 8 less than Lou Whitaker’s 68. 

Lou Whitaker not being in the HOF is a sham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Lou Whitaker not being in the HOF is a sham. 

Was very surprised he didn’t make it in this year in that new veterans committee ballot thing.  He had a better case than Simmons 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Was very surprised he didn’t make it in this year in that new veterans committee ballot thing.  He had a better case than Simmons 

Put Whitaker and Trammell on the Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers and they have had Jeter-like reputations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Schilling,PEDs have never been a topic as far as I can tell, but he did accumulate about half his WAR after age 34. I know a lot of his exclusion is his politics, but. Isn’t his career trajectory a red flag? He had good years prior, but not the kind of career you would think would be a HOF consideration.Obviously he isn’t the first to have that kind of success at that age, and he won’t be the last, but that was the middle of the steroid era. To have a clean pitcher suddenly kick it up a couple of notches at age 34 is at least a little suspicious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 9:56 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

Schilling accumulated 79 WAR over his career.  Borderline guys are around 66.  He is a no doubter but unfortunately he hurt the poor baseball writers feefees with his politics, which have nothing to do with Baseball.

Personally I always start with was he ever the best player/pitcher for any length of time? Or least where did he rank . 

His only claims to the HOF were that he pitched 20 years, which is why he had a high WAR and the 3000 strikeouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

With Schilling,PEDs have never been a topic as far as I can tell, but he did accumulate about half his WAR after age 34. I know a lot of his exclusion is his politics, but. Isn’t his career trajectory a red flag? He had good years prior, but not the kind of career you would think would be a HOF consideration.Obviously he isn’t the first to have that kind of success at that age, and he won’t be the last, but that was the middle of the steroid era. To have a clean pitcher suddenly kick it up a couple of notches at age 34 is at least a little suspicious.

I would bet that at least some of the voters look at it this way, right or wrong. Because realistically the only reason he has a case is due to longevity. 

Edited by ptatc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Personally I always start with was he ever the best player/pitcher for any length of time? Or least where did he rank . 

His only claims to the HOF were that he pitched 20 years, which is why he had a high WAR and the 3000 strikeouts.

Thats not even close to being true.  You make the HoF in your 30's.  Look at his fWAR, he had a couple of his best seasons during the end of his career.

Again, 66 WAR is borderline HoF territory.  The dude put up 79 and was still dominant late in his career.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Thats not even close to being true.  You make the HoF in your 30's.  Look at his fWAR, he had a couple of his best seasons during the end of his career.

Again, 66 WAR is borderline HoF territory.  The dude put up 79 and was still dominant late in his career.

Having your best years late in your career is fine, again it may raise red flags for some. I just don't think he was really ever in the best pitcher currently pitching category for any length of time. He is in the Blyleven category for me really good but could get in because of longevity. However the best years in his late 30s and his public personality I'm sure will hold him back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

That author is a LOSER 

anyone that gets up in arms over things schilling has said, things that a significant percentage of the population agrees with, is an over sensitive douche.  

A significant portion of the population is hate-filled assholes so not sure how that justifies his actions.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

anyone that gets up in arms over things schilling has said, things that a significant percentage of the population agrees with, is an over sensitive douche.  

Idk, a bunch of journalists holding him saying hanging journalists is awesome against him seems pretty fair.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A significant portion of the population is hate-filled assholes so not sure how that justifies his actions.

 

2 hours ago, mqr said:

Idk, a bunch of journalists holding him saying hanging journalists is awesome against him seems pretty fair.  

That's actually not what happened, but it IS funny a bunch of journalists are trying to punish someone because of their free speech because their POV is different. Which has ZERO to do with baseball and his 79 fWAR.

I guess he should have shilled for climate change, or kneeling for the flag, or abortion, or no person is illegal.  He would have been a media darling.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

 

That's actually not what happened, but it IS funny a bunch of journalists are trying to punish someone because of their free speech because their POV is different. Which has ZERO to do with baseball and his 79 fWAR.

I guess he should have shilled for climate change, or kneeling for the flag, or abortion, or no person is illegal.  He would have been a media darling.

4B4662BA-34B0-495C-938D-410B8827CA78.png

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Gammons dropped Walker in his final year. That’s a major wtf.

Pretty sure Gammons could tell you where he is right now at like 70% clip at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×