Would you extend Nick Madrigal? For how much?

Panerista

8 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I'm torn on this, personally. Robert looks like a much stronger player.

Do you feel the Sox should sign NM or let him play it out? 

If the price is right, I guess I would sign him. I'm not a money expert, but I want this board's thoughts.

There is no reason to approach Madrigal about an extension right now. Let him spend the first month in AAA to prove himself and then call him up in May sometime.

That right there gives the Sox nearly seven seasons of contractual control, and his lack of power likely holds him back from ever being a player we should be overly concerned about losing down the line. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Nope. I'm very pro-Madrigal, but there's no reason. You need to wait and see how his skill-set translates to the majors.

This.  He is a guy that you wait on.  There's no rush to sign him until he's established that he's got a MLB floor as a 2 WAR player.  You can argue given his incredible tools in CF Robert already has that floor.  Not sure about Madrigal  yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Or they could just go off script, and bring him up on Day 1 without a long term deal. Less likely, but some teams have done that recently. 

That would be the wrong thing to do.

He's project 1.7 WAR player. There's a potential reason to keep him down for a while there. The whole projection is really shaky. 

• Panerista changed the title to Would you extend Nick Madrigal? For how much?
8 minutes ago, flavum said:

Or they could just go off script, and bring him up on Day 1 without a long term deal. Less likely, but some teams have done that recently. 

If they deem him ready I wouldn't be too concerned about service time. 

5 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

That would be the wrong thing to do.

He's project 1.7 WAR player. There's a potential reason to keep him down for a while there. The whole projection is really shaky. 

1.7 is pretty damn good for someone who hasn't played a game yet

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Nope. I'm very pro-Madrigal, but there's no reason. You need to wait and see how his skill-set translates to the majors.

This.  Sure, he could be the next Pedroia or Altuve if he ever ever gains some muscle and develops some power.  But he also has high bust potential, and by bust I mean a mediocre infielder like David Eckstein.  There’s no reason to potentially overpay him until you see what he can do.

Anyone remember Jeremy Reed?  He was an outfielder that didn’t strike out much at all, hit for a very high average, but had no power whatsoever.  Dude crashed and burned in the majors.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=6708

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

I would, but it would need to be insanely team friendly. 

Something like the Kingery deal.  6 years $23M with three team options.   

2020: $750k

2021: $1.25M

2022: $2M

2023: $4M

2024: $6M

2025: $8M

2026 team option: $10M ($1M buyout)

2027 team option: $11M ($1M buyout)

2028 team option: $12M ($1M buyout)

I would do that.  

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This.  Sure, he could be the next Pedroia or Altuve if he ever ever gains some muscle and develops some power.  But he also has high bust potential, and by bust I mean a mediocre infielder like David Eckstein.  There’s no reason to potentially overpay him until you see what he can do.

I don't think I'd classify him as someone with high bust potential; just by the definition of a bust.

Madrigal has the highest floor of almost every single prospect in baseball - he's an elite defender and base runner who is never over matched at the plate. His ceiling is obviously also limited much more than other elite prospects. I don't think he has much bust potential at all, but the main purpose the Sox do deals like this is for a huge potential reward for the organization - I don't think Madrigal has that type of reward upside.

That said, I think he's one of the most sure fire big league players this organization has ever had as a prospect.

• Like 2

Since Robert got extended, I think the Sox could safely keep Madrigal down for a month without being accused of service time manipulation. That way you could get a 7th year on him, and if he performs in the first year, you could still extend him for a fairly reasonable amount.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't think I'd classify him as someone with high bust potential; just by the definition of a bust.

Madrigal has the highest floor of almost every single prospect in baseball - he's an elite defender and base runner who is never over matched at the plate. His ceiling is obviously also limited much more than other elite prospects. I don't think he has much bust potential at all, but the main purpose the Sox do deals like this is for a huge potential reward for the organization - I don't think Madrigal has that type of reward upside.

That said, I think he's one of the most sure fire big league players this organization has ever had as a prospect.

I like this assessment. He's not your prototypical "best fielder on a champion" player. 

Good thing Yoan Moncada is. Eloy might be. Robert should be.

Good time to be a Sox fan. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I disagree due to his complete lack of power.  I mentioned him already but remember Jeremy Reed?  Similar type of hitter as Madrigal.  Reed actually had slightly better minor league numbers than Madrigal and he busted big time.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

I have not seen a hitter like Madrigal in todays game, one that barely strikes out. I would extend him and put him at the top of the order opening day.

Willians Astudillo.

Just because you don't strike out doesn't mean you aren't making outs.  You just do it in different ways.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I disagree due to his complete lack of power.  I mentioned him already but remember Jeremy Reed?  He had slightly better minor league numbers than Madrigal and he busted big time.

I think there's no reason to argue about this, because the definition of bust is so loose. For some, "bust" means "not a superstar". Realistically, "bust" means a bad pick.

His ceiling is high, so he won't, IMO, be a bad pick, but the question is if he'll be great.