Cuban Phenom defecting Oscar Colas

PolishPrince34

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

"The Chicago White Sox, who have been in on most Cuban prospects over the past decade and are building around fellow Cubans Yoan Moncada, Luis Robert and Jose Abreu, figure to be a favorite landing spot."

22 minutes ago, KopechThrowsHeat said:

Where did this quote come from?

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yahoo article after he announced.

https://sports.yahoo.com/oscar-colas-the-cuban-ohtani-is-coming-to-mlb-and-everybodys-going-to-want-him-195153235.html

If he waits until July to sign, I'd think the White Sox have a realistic shot here. They've been risk averse in the 16-year-old marketplace but signing 18-22 year old Cubans is kind of what they do. They don't have any reported commitments/agreements with top guys in the 2020 class yet either. Colas played on his youth teams with Yolbert Sanchez and Luis Robert in Cuba. It makes lots of sense. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If he waits until July to sign, I'd think the White Sox have a realistic shot here. They've been risk averse in the 16-year-old marketplace but signing 18-22 year old Cubans is kind of what they do. They don't have any reported commitments/agreements with top guys in the 2020 class yet either. Colas played on his youth teams with Yolbert Sanchez and Luis Robert in Cuba. It makes lots of sense. 

How much do you know about him?  He’s got to be a substantially better prospect than Yolbert right?

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah and let’s just pray we get continued production from Jose Rodriguez, Ramos, Guzman, Bailey, and this years class.

if Paddy found real firepower (meaning assets for trade, depth, or a bonafide starter) on the margins then this strategy may just work.

But it requires these players to keep coming out.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah and let’s just pray we get continued production from Jose Rodriguez, Ramos, Guzman, Bailey, and this years class.

if Paddy found real firepower (meaning assets for trade, depth, or a bonafide starter) on the margins then this strategy may just work.

Bailey needs to be a real prize to get any momentum going in that market, imo. Exciting thing is he has a real shot of being one of the fastest risers in baseball in 2020.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Paddy obviously has an eye for talent. They just don't spend on 16-year-olds and it's super frustrating. Micker Adolfo is still the biggest bonus. 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Paddy obviously has an eye for talent. They just don't spend on 16-year-olds and it's super frustrating. Micker Adolfo is still the biggest bonus. 

Which better points to the importance of Bailey here.

Reinsdorf likes to see proof in the pudding when it comes to investments. He's comfortable shattering records to non-proven players because he got proven bargains out of Sale and Eaton already; and now Anderson.

He's comfortable beating the pack at the tip top of the international market because players like Jose Abreu panned out after he benefited from someone like Alexei.

The Sox have been bad in the IFA market and Jerry strikes me as the kind of investor who feels more comfortable once he sees the value of it working. If Bailey can become an MLB regular, or maybe even a star, maybe he starts the transition into more investment in that market.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Reinsdorf likes to see proof in the pudding when it comes to investments. He's comfortable shattering records to non-proven players because he got proven bargains out of Sale and Eaton already.

He's comfortable beating the pack at the tip top of the international market because players like Jose Abreu panned out.

The Sox have been bad in the IFA market and Jerry strikes me as the kind of investor who feels more comfortable once he sees the value of it working. If Bailey can become an MLB regular, or maybe even a star, maybe he starts the transition into more investment in that market.

Yeah this is a good point. Giving $1.5 million to Franklin Reyes who may never play baseball again probably didn't help. It's just such a pittance in the grand scheme of things taht it shouldn't matter though. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Reinsdorf likes to see proof in the pudding when it comes to investments. He's comfortable shattering records to non-proven players because he got proven bargains out of Sale and Eaton already; and now Anderson.

He's comfortable beating the pack at the tip top of the international market because players like Jose Abreu panned out after he benefited from someone like Alexei.

Why in the world would he need to see Bailey become a MLB regular when Paddy signed Tatis?  The proof is right there...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah this is a good point. Giving $1.5 million to Franklin Reyes who may never play baseball again probably didn't help. It's just such a pittance in the grand scheme of things taht it shouldn't matter though. 

What happened to Reyes?  Was amazing how quickly he was moved to 1B and then was basically gone after a year.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why in the world would he need to see Bailey become a MLB regular when Paddy signed Tatis?  The proof is right there...

Yea touché...

I think JR is what he is at this point, too risk adversed to hand out big contracts to 16 year olds unless some higher ups in the scouting department is willing to stick their neck out for a kid.

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yea touché...

I think JR is what he is at this point, too risk adversed to hand out big contracts to 16 year olds unless some higher ups in the scouting department is willing to stick their neck out for a kid.

Oh I don't know what to think of JR at this point. I gave him the benefit of the doubt before thinking he might 've had moral issues contributing to the way the youngsters are recruited and used by people who might not have their best interests at heart . But it is what it is If the Sox don't draft these kids others will It's just a matter of who gets paid after a contract is signed. In some cases we don't know how much of that money the kid himself will get especially as a minor. Will his parents use it all up ? Will some coyote get a big piece? Is at least some of it put in a trust for the kid until they reach a certain age ? Are guys like Wilder the rule or the exception ?

JR knows enough about baseball to know the any kid you draft and sign, be it the college draft or IFA  that it's a crap shoot . So I don't buy that he needs proof because a kid doesn't pan out. It's also money given free to each team . I don't know if the league mandates what can or cannot be done with that money. Obviously they can spend it on the players or trade it away but it must all be gone by the next signing period  or the league gets it back , isn't that true ?

Signing Robert was not very risk adverse. It was a huge investment and perhaps the odds of it working out were better or equal to a Top 5 pick in the College Draft but not $40M worth of better. JR surely knows that  the Robert signing carried a lot of risk too. It's not JR's money (but the Robert signing was his money) it's money from MLB so there is no reason to be risk adverse . You either spend it ,trade it, or give it back . Either way it's gone. If he was going to be risk adverse surely it would've been with Robert because $50M of mostly his own money and the penalty that came with spending that much was extremely risky. Even though Robert wasn't 16 it still carried risk. Maybe Robert knowing Abreu meant something to JR but that doesn't lessen how risky that was compared to signing a few 16 yrs olds for  $1 or $2 M once in a while with money MLB gives you .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Viciedo was 19, if I’m recalling correctly...that was the largest bonus at the time (for someone under 21), quickly eclipsed.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Where did you find he played with Robert ? That's the 1st thing I googled because knowing they were the same age I thought they could ve played together but my research couldn't prove it.

6 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

.302/.350/.516 in Japan as a 21 year old last year.  Supposed to be pretty good.  I saw something that he should be able to stick in RF for MLB. Not too much on his pitching other than mid 90's FB.

Just a heads up, this has been misreported. Those numbers are from the npb minor leagues. The guy got a cup of coffee at the top level. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh I don't know what to think of JR at this point. I gave him the benefit of the doubt before thinking he might 've had moral issues contributing to the way the youngsters are recruited and used by people who might not have their best interests at heart . But it is what it is If the Sox don't draft these kids others will It's just a matter of who gets paid after a contract is signed. In some cases we don't know how much of that money the kid himself will get especially as a minor. Will his parents use it all up ? Will some coyote get a big piece? Is at least some of it put in a trust for the kid until they reach a certain age ? Are guys like Wilder the rule or the exception ?

JR knows enough about baseball to know the any kid you draft and sign, be it the college draft or IFA  that it's a crap shoot . So I don't buy that he needs proof because a kid doesn't pan out. It's also money given free to each team . I don't know if the league mandates what can or cannot be done with that money. Obviously they can spend it on the players or trade it away but it must all be gone by the next signing period  or the league gets it back , isn't that true ?

Signing Robert was not very risk adverse. It was a huge investment and perhaps the odds of it working out were better or equal to a Top 5 pick in the College Draft but not $40M worth of better. JR surely knows that  the Robert signing carried a lot of risk too. It's not JR's money (but the Robert signing was his money) it's money from MLB so there is no reason to be risk adverse . You either spend it ,trade it, or give it back . Either way it's gone. If he was going to be risk adverse surely it would've been with Robert because $50M of mostly his own money and the penalty that came with spending that much was extremely risky. Even though Robert wasn't 16 it still carried risk. Maybe Robert knowing Abreu meant something to JR but that doesn't lessen how risky that was compared to signing a few 16 yrs olds for  $1 or $2 M once in a while with money MLB gives you .

Are there actual reports that show JR being against IFA because of moral issues? I mean he is signing 16 year olds, just not the top ranked prospects to large contracts. Every year we bring in a number of 16-17 year olds from the LatAM market, the Baileys, Guzmans, Sosas, etc. So it isn't that the Sox is against signing kids that young.

I am actually not aware that the IFA bonus is given by MLB, are you certain of that? Given teams were responsible for paying signing bonuses under the old CBA, I believe the new CBA only caps the IFA spending, but bonuses are still part of the player development expenditure in the team's operating expense. I could be wrong here.

Either way, Robert signing was different. When he was coming out of Cuba, there were multiple reports that hyped him up as the best player in the world at the time, and he was more or less MLB ready. Had the report hold true, the $50M expenditure for Robert would have been money well spent, at least from JR's perspective.