Cuban Phenom defecting Oscar Colas

PolishPrince34

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

.302/.350/.516 in Japan as a 21 year old last year.  Supposed to be pretty good.  I saw something that he should be able to stick in RF for MLB. Not too much on his pitching other than mid 90's FB.

This was in the minor leagues of the Nippon League I believe; I remember reading that this year was his first year in Nippon Baseball.

He also hasn't really pitched over there which is why the Ohtani comment was crazy; sure, the kid throws hard, but Ohtani was an elite all-around pitcher with a proven track record.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This was in the minor leagues of the Nippon League I believe; I remember reading that this year was his first year in Nippon Baseball.

Those numbers were indeed across 66 games in the Western League(minor). He only played 7 games in the Pacific League. 

He's also apparently never actually pitched over there. 

Edited by mqr

5 hours ago, Princess Dye said:

#PipelineWatch

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Every one of his starts could be brought to you by Coca Cola

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'll be the 1st to say the White Sox sign him.

4 hours ago, mqr said:

Is he actually any good?

4 hours ago, Baron said:

Apparently yes. 

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's certainly not the Cuban Ohtani - like that tweet says. 

It's hard to say; he just made it to the Nippon league this year. He's been pretty solid in the minors for them. He's really young.

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Would the Sox be able to even sign him? I know they were penalized for awhile after the Robert signing. Don’t really know how the international signing rules work.

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

White Sox have to be considered favorites for any Cuban player nowadays.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's roughly the same age as Robert and it's likely they knew each other playing at the same levels in Cuba.

Pretty sure the answer is yes. They no longer have penalties and likely have their full allotment of IFA money when Colas becomes available.

Might even be a good time for them to increase that amount by seeking trades that get them more money like the kind that they have been doing trading their IFA money for players. Now that would be shocking. But he fits their mold . Sox like to draft the older guys more than 16 yr. olds .

If we see any trades that increase the Sox IFA money you can guess that Colas is their target. We are just not sure at this time  at which signing period he will be eligible. Could be as early as this July .

3 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Just need it to be in next class (I’ll save the lecture on “maybe this is why you don’t trade away your intl money for cash just because there is nobody currently available”)

You'd be preaching to the choir with a lecture in that regard. I harp on that and their whole approach to IFA with regularity.

Yea he was good with that. I tried to google more about the kid and see if he had any connection to Luis Robert but too much came up in Spanish and only one mentioned Robert in the article but not as knowing him, I just assume they knew each other since they are the same age and likely played at the same levels before Robert signed with the Sox.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

yea pretty sure the penalties are two years.  and it's been two years.  time to find another robert.  if they aren't going to invest in the 13-16 year olds and their academies they sure as shit better be using that money signing the best Cuban guys given their historic advantage.

2 hours ago, Princess Dye said:

he's 21, this would be a future play if it were to happen

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, and he can apparently play RF and both bats and throws lefty.  We have Mazara for up to two years.  This guy would be a nice replacement if he’s legit.

Just transferring stuff from the Major League catch all thread on him to here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/oscar-colas-to-seek-mlb-deal.html

Sounds like he will wait until July to sign when more money is available to him.

That would be great news for us.  If any team is not tied to a bunch of guys in next year’s class already it’s probably the Sox.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Huh? Very possible he'll be the #1 ranked IFA next year. Why would you not want him?

My opinion could change, but I haven’t been able to find concrete scouting report on him at all, with him being 21 and all and played in Japan, that’s a little strange if he’s as good as advertised.

Reading in between the lines, the fact they he think “could” stay in the OF, most likely due to a strong arm, suggest he’s might be a limited athlete and there is potential he doesn’t. His SB number backs it up and he’s played more games at 1B than RF. On top of that, he’s BB/K number isn’t impressive in the minors of Japan.

The pitching thing might also be a gimmick, no report of secondaries, didn’t pitch in Japan minors, no telling if he’s just a kid with a strong arm.

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

My opinion could change, but I haven’t been able to find concrete scouting report on him at all, with him being 21 and all and played in Japan, that’s a little strange if he’s as good as advertised.

Reading in between the lines, the fact they he think “could” stay in the OF, most likely due to a strong arm, suggest he’s might be a limited athlete and there is potential he doesn’t. His SB number backs it up and he’s played more games at 1B than RF. On top of that, he’s BB/K number isn’t impressive in the minors of Japan.

The pitching thing might also be a gimmick, no report of secondaries, didn’t pitch in Japan minors, no telling if he’s just a kid with a strong arm.

I admittedly don't know much about him, but I don't think Passan was paid to shill for this guy; he spoke with scouts and some people, and reported (also said in a radio interview) that he was an elite level amateur prospect who could lead the pool next year.

I wouldn't put too much stock into his position or time in Japan - I imagine the culture shock is pretty damn immense for a kid of his age... even moreso coming from and going back to Cuba repeatedly.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I admittedly don't know much about him, but I don't think Passan was paid to shill for this guy; he spoke with scouts and some people, and reported (also said in a radio interview) that he was an elite level amateur prospect who could lead the pool next year.

I wouldn't put too much stock into his position or time in Japan - I imagine the culture shock is pretty damn immense for a kid of his age... even moreso coming from and going back to Cuba repeatedly.

He’s getting info from Cuban scouts though, who over the years have hyped up a lot of prospects, Abreu included. Calling him Cuban Ohtani without throwing a pitch professionally is a huge stretch.

I hope I’m wrong though because like I said I think Sox will be heavily involved.

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He’s getting info from Cuban scouts though, who over the years have hyped up a lot of prospects, Abreu included. Calling him Cuban Ohtani without throwing a pitch professionally is a huge stretch.

I hope I’m wrong though because like I said I think Sox will be heavily involved.

Yeah, the Ohtani stuff was nonsense for sure. 

That said, the way Cuba watches over these kids when they play in places like Japan makes it very difficult to evaluate and really difficult to judge the kid based on any sort of production. He actually held his own though which is a testament to him.

I believe he did some pitching before the transition to Japan but he was so young it's impossible to evaluate.

I think being left handed and throwing 95+ led to the exaggerated point on his pitching prowess.