Sox Sign Cishek; 1 yr, $5.25 mil + option (6.75, 750k buyout)

Heads22

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I also think if Ozuna or Castellanos market really tanks like I believe is possible, the White Sox may circle back on a shorter deal.

I doubt it on Ozuna. I can't see them forfeiting the 49th pick for a short term deal. Ozuna got bad advice. 

• Like 1

They now have 4 excellent candidates for the 8TH inning; Bummer, Herrera, Colome and Cichek. A lights out closer could still be worth while. However, it would have to be via a trade, as there aren't any available, in free agency. The other possibility is to try Bummer as the closer, in which case they probably need another lefty, as Fry is the only other southpaw bullpen arm and I have lost confidence in him, after last season.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

So what is the exact makeup of the pen right now?

Colome

Herrera

Marshall

Bummer

Cishek

Fry

and whoever our long man would be?

CL: Colome

SU: Cischek (RH)- 8 inning depending on handedness

SU: Bummer (LH) - 9 inning depending on handedness

MR: Herrera

MR: Fry

MR: Marshall

OPEN SPOT

OPEN SPOT

Still need a long man imo (McHugh)?  

Edited by cjgalloway

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

So what is the exact makeup of the pen right now?

Colome

Herrera

Marshall

Bummer

Cishek

Fry

and whoever our long man would be?

Cordero should be in there too.  We have some interesting candidates like Burdi and Hamilton if they can get healthy and start to produce.

Man, if Fry and Herrera can return to their pre-2019 form, this bullpen can be really solid. Especially with a deadline acquisition if we are in the race.

7 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Cordero should be in there too.  We have some interesting candidates like Burdi and Hamilton if they can get healthy and start to produce.

Man, if Fry and Herrera can return to their pre-2019 form, this bullpen can be really solid. Especially with a deadline acquisition if we are in the race.

Fry is the one most likely on the bubble. If Sox still want another reliever  I'll guess another lefty.

Reylo is the long man/spot starter If Kopech and Gonzalez work out. Not sold on Marshall, but Sox have 3-4 internal candidates If some one gets hurt or blows up. Really like the depth on this team.

Edited by zisk
add
  • Like 1

Best reliever left on the board and a groundball guy who can still rack up some strikeouts.

Anyone else impressed how Hahn signed him for only one year guaranteed with a second year option?  Most of these older relievers are signing for two to three years.  Just like how he shaved off the additional year for Keuchel?

Now sign Cody Allen to a minor league deal and see if he has anything left in Spring Training.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Best reliever left on the board and a groundball guy who can still rack up some strikeouts.

Anyone else impressed how Hahn signed him for only one year guaranteed with a second year option?  Most of these older relievers are signing for two to three years.  Just like how he shaved off the additional year for Keuchel?

Now sign Cody Allen to a minor league deal and see if he has anything left in Spring Training.

That's the exact type of guy I would like to sign now. Allen/Strop

20 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

CL: Colome

SU: Cischek (RH)- 8 inning depending on handedness

SU: Bummer (LH) - 9 inning depending on handedness

MR: Herrera

MR: Fry

MR: Marshall

OPEN SPOT

OPEN SPOT

Still need a long man imo (McHugh)?  

McHugh would be my choice.  My guess is he is holding on to the thought of starting and will probably hold out until everyone says no.  I think both Castellanos and McHugh could be guys you sign later if their market craters to short deals.  McHugh you can sell on you are our long guy and first one up when someone needs a spot start or fails.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

He's way better than people seem to think. Excels at getting weak contact. The only concern I have with him is the slight increase in his walk rate 

Yes I love this deal, especially that it's 1+1. Hitters cannot square up on him, gets solid GB%, and his batting average against the last 4 years are elite level between .180 - .210

Increased BB% is a bit of a concern like you said, but there weren't any RP without concerns once Will Smith signed.

Figured Cishek was most likely scenario. I'd like to see them give some milb deals, have mentioned tony cingrani before. Still would like to go after Salazar as well. They may have expensive mlb call up numbers around 2-3 mill but if they are not injured they offer good potential for K men in bullpen.

Still would be interested in Kennedy, but also look at a guy like aaron sanchez for bullpen. If his well dries up he may reach for what he can. Same for smyly, if going to bullpen increases his fastball, he could be interesting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

one thing that sucks is next years free agent market for relievers is garbage, sox need their young bullpen prospects to show up this year.

That's why having an option for year 2 made this an even better deal. I wonder if McHugh could have had for the same structure and similar money.

I also expect at least one from the Burdi/Hamilton/Johnson/Foster group to play a key role next year, god forbids if they don't.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I like the idea of adding a couple more relievers on minor league deals.  Marshall and Cordero don’t have much of a history of success.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

one thing that sucks is next years free agent market for relievers is garbage, sox need their young bullpen prospects to show up this year.

There's a lot of bullpen guys that had injury issues this year or slow recoveries (Burdi) or still need work (Hansen). I'm confident that by the end of the year at least a couple will be solid pieces for the pen. 

And Hahn did a good job getting options for 2021 on Cishek and Gonzalez where we can still use them next year if need be. 

2 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

He will be our 8 inning guy out of the gate. I like this a lot.  

Bummer has to be our 8th inning guy with cishek/Fry/Marshall sharing 7th responsibilities depending on match-ups.  

Edited by 2Deep