Sox Sign Cishek; 1 yr, $5.25 mil + option (6.75, 750k buyout)

Heads22

Solid move.  He has a lot of wear and tear from the past couple of years, but has been a productive reliever and is a good veteran and the option year on the back-end is nice. Relievers are always fluky so you never know what will happen, but collect a few of them and you should be able to get to a good spot.  I still don't buy Colome as the long-term closer on a contending team and think they have one more move left (which if you do it...shifts the pen dynamic significantly).  

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

This has gotta be it right? It's nice to have everything tied up in a bow a week into January vs nail biting into March. 

I imagine the only additional moves this team would make would be large, marquee moves, for the future. Likely nothing happens but I imagine rick is still working on that young and controllable front.

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

Pretty much sums it up. Like the move today, but who the hell knows with bullpen arms year-to-year. Just got to collect as many as possible, and figure it out as you go.

This is very true. I also like that we have more options once Rodon and Kopech return. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I imagine the only additional moves this team would make would be large, marquee moves, for the future. Likely nothing happens but I imagine rick is still working on that young and controllable front.

This as well. If a superstar opportunity came up, I think they would be all ears, but it is nice to know they have this team positioned to where if a chunk of their signings are solid players (not stars..just solid player) and their young players continue to grow and develop, they will be in a really nice position.  

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is very true. I also like that we have more options once Rodon and Kopech return. 

Yeah, this is why I didnt want to give longer deals to the other guys who signed. Too much volatility in that market and the sox have very high end talent in the RP world in their minor leagues.

Cishek got overused by Maddon last year and was brutal before he finally got put on the DL for a hip injury. He came back and did a bit better in September but struggled with control. Hopefully he's closer to his 2019 first half production with us. Our bullpen depth should allow Ricky to use him less. Here's to hoping Marshall keeps outpitching his peripherals and Herrera doesn't completely suck.

Edited by chw42

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

He's 6'6?? I've watched this dude pitch like 30 times and I was positive he was a normal sized dude. 

It's the delivery. I hated him on the Cubs and swore up and down to DaughterofaRoache his delivery motion should be banned. Now that he is here, I love him and that delivery. 

25 minutes ago, Baron said:

thought this was amusing. Not that's going to be closing. 

His last blown save was against the Sox 😁

Quite the wild pitch against the Cubbies...just a bit outside!!!

I counted 7 home runs in that montage...just keep the ball down Steve