Fegan via source: Cishek deal last major deal for Sox this offseason

Buehrle>Wood

I wanted Iglesias because he could also spell TA at SS.

I do not like Leury as a SS, and I don't think the sox like Yolmer's arm as a SS. 

Ideally we get a guy that has more versatility to the left side of the infield. I'd take Yolmer over Gennet. Miller has spelled SS. 

I don't know what answer is, perhaps they'd move madrigal over to SS, but anyway, I still wish we'd have signed Marwin Gonzalez last year. Could have been the Mazara platoon, madrigal lead in, and versatile bench guy. 

I would be pro Holt but I wonder at this point if he's angling for starter jobs. Jordy Mercer is another guy, but arrows to me are pointing to Yolmer.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wanted Iglesias because he could also spell TA at SS.

I do not like Leury as a SS, and I don't think the sox like Yolmer's arm as a SS. 

Ideally we get a guy that has more versatility to the left side of the infield. I'd take Yolmer over Gennet. Miller has spelled SS. 

I don't know what answer is, perhaps they'd move madrigal over to SS, but anyway, I still wish we'd have signed Marwin Gonzalez last year. Could have been the Mazara platoon, madrigal lead in, and versatile bench guy. 

I would be pro Holt but I wonder at this point if he's angling for starter jobs. Jordy Mercer is another guy, but arrows to me are pointing to Yolmer.

Mendick will probably be the cheap utility guy unless a vet or someone else comes along.

1 minute ago, knightni said:

Mendick will probably be the cheap utility guy unless a vet or someone else comes along.

I do not know that sox believe in Mendick as SS. As it stands sox do not really have a backup 3b or SS. I know the answer is "leury" but I don't think sox believe that.

21 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’d rather sign Brad Miller or Scooter Gennett than Yolmer. Neither of those guys are as good defensively but they have more upside with the bat and can play outfield as well.

Gennett has appeared in 16 games in his career in the outfield. I still believe he ends up on a rebuilding team where he could get every day at bats to rebuild value (Tigers would have made sense before Schoop signing).

40 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’d rather sign Brad Miller or Scooter Gennett than Yolmer. Neither of those guys are as good defensively but they have more upside with the bat and can play outfield as well.

Why is the bat the driving force behind a utility IF signing? Defense and versatility should be 1 and 1a. 

I know I'm in the minority, but Yolmer, Leury, Mendick and Engel would be my bench pieces. They all do things extremely well - Engel Def/BR, Yolmer Def, Leury Versatility/BR, and Mendick +bat/versatile glove. I would be happy giving those guys a chance to be good in those places. I'm not signing a utility guy for a bench bat when the teams offense goes 8 bats deep right now; maybe 9.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do not know that sox believe in Mendick as SS. As it stands sox do not really have a backup 3b or SS. I know the answer is "leury" but I don't think sox believe that.

Yolmer is a good 3rd baseman; assuming you aren't commenting on him because he's not on the roster though.

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Who would he even come in for late in the game for defense? Unless they hand him a 1B mit, it makes no sense.

Bench bat.  Someone to cover 3B and SS for a couple weeks if need be. Fill in at 2B until Madrigal arrives.

I am not necessarily all that interested in bringing back Yolmer, but we really could use someone that can play all the IF positions.  We're super thin on the left side in there is an injury.  I would probably prefer Brad Miller, if only because its something different.  

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Was interesting that the Sox listed Leury as an "infielder" in the arb releases last week.  

*Said Yolmer, meant Leury

Edited by ChiSox59

I don't get the need for a glove-first utility infielder. I think it makes more sense to have a bat-first player in that role since our infield defense (once Madrigal is up) figures to be a strength, not a weakness. 

If we brought Yolmer or another glove-first guy in, I feel like he would only ever play when there's an injury and during those first few weeks while Madrigal is in AAA. He would never need to sub in late in games because there would be no need to replace one of Moncada, Anderson, or Madrigal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't get the need for a glove-first utility infielder. I think it makes more sense to have a bat-first player in that role since our infield defense (once Madrigal is up) figures to be a strength, not a weakness. 

If we brought Yolmer or another glove-first guy in, I feel like he would only ever play when there's an injury and during those first few weeks while Madrigal is in AAA. He would never need to sub in late in games because there would be no need to replace one of Moncada, Anderson, or Madrigal. 

And Yolmer is never a guy that you want pinch hitting either.  Leury is already on the roster, and while not the defender Yolmer is, Leury can at least hit and isn't a total black hole at the plate when he does need to fill in.  At a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

And Yolmer is never a guy that you want pinch hitting either.  Leury is already on the roster, and while not the defender Yolmer is, Leury can at least hit and isn't a total black hole at the plate when he does need to fill in.  At a fraction of the cost.

I don't think Leury could be asked to cover 3B or SS for multiple weeks though.  He would get eaten alive defensively IMO.  

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

Probably true.  But i'd still rather see Mendick or someone else as the backup INF over Yolmer.

I don't really think the Sox want to ask Mendick to play on left side much either. 

Frankly, I don't really care if they roll with internal options, or resign Yolmer. I personally would be after Brad Miller, Brock Holt or even Zobrist on the cheap.   Yolmer would be ok.  I'd also be fine giving Mendick some run early in the year.  At the end of the day we're talking about the 25th or 26th man that is going to get 2B at bats against LHP in the early going. I am not going to get too worked up about it, but I do think having an IF that could fill in at 3B and SS for multiple games would be nice - especially with the way Yoan gets knicked up - and I don't really see that guy on the roster currently.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Thought he was pretty bad

started 44 games there in his career and has a 94% fielding percentage.  I remember some pretty bad errors last year in his brief stint.

Looking at how he finished the year Leury is being over valued, including by myself.  He's not a guy you want taking extended time at SS or in the OF.  His versatility plays down when he's got a wRC+ around 85.  

Sox might need a real backup SS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

started 44 games there in his career and has a 94% fielding percentage.  I remember some pretty bad errors last year in his brief stint.

Looking at how he finished the year Leury is being over valued, including by myself.  He's not a guy you want taking extended time at SS or in the OF.  His versatility plays down when he's got a wRC+ around 85.  

Sox might need a real backup SS.

Zach Cozart?

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Zach Cozart?

34 years old and hasn’t been good in 2 seasons.

That said, if he’s willing to accept a minor league deal considering all the money he stole from the Angels already, I’d take him.

My god, the Angels signed him for 3-years and $38 million.  Brutal.