Statcast infield defense metrics preview — Sox not too bad!

Jake

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not sure where you were looking, but as far as I've been aware, his defense has always been a major concern. I think a lot of the minor league guys have said he'll wind up as a DH. 

I mean.....just look at the guy

15 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not sure where you were looking, but as far as I've been aware, his defense has always been a major concern. I think a lot of the minor league guys have said he'll wind up as a DH. 

This isn't a "concern" though. This shows, and it's just one metric, the worst defender in MLB by quite a lot.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This isnt some be all defensive metric - the others still matter. This is just another defensive metric where Castellanos is awful

Nick's really bad but part of it is that he had to switch from a very tricky, huge RF at Comerica to a smaller but also tricky RF at Wrigley given the wind patterns.  He's a shitty OF but you can hide a guy like that in some parks much better than others.  The Cell certainly plays easier than Comerica in the OF.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This isnt some be all defensive metric - the others still matter. This is just another defensive metric where Castellanos is awful

I realize that. The metric pretty much only measures range for outfielders since I don't think they take throwing into account (I could be wrong on that). But from what I've read so far it's most likely more accurate than the range portion of UZR and DRS. 

Just now, chw42 said:

I realize that. The metric pretty much only measures range for outfielders since I don't think they take throwing into account (I could be wrong on that). But from what I've read so far it's most likely more accurate than the range portion of UZR and DRS. 

They're catch probabilities - which is the driving force behind all of this - are still far from perfect. I'm not ready to anoint them better yet. They ignore far too many factors in calculating them.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They're catch probabilities - which is the driving force behind all of this - are still far from perfect. I'm not ready to anoint them better yet. They ignore far too many factors in calculating them.

I'd imagine that there are vectors that have very limited N values.  So for instance a sample of like 3 where two guys made the catch and one didn't on a ball hit x angle into the air with v velocity with the fielder needing to cover d distance.  Maybe they do some sort of "best guess" given statistically similar vectors.

Edited by chitownsportsfan