Roster Moves

BamaDoc

Tayron Guerrero was designated for assignment on Jan 2.........guess he is going thru  waivers?

Encarnacion and Cishek not formally announced and 40 man is full.  Delay do to trying to make a deal for 40 man relief?  If you say" no big deal, lots of dead meat " why haven't they already done so?  Who are your cuts and/or who would you trade?

No word that I have seen on if Guerrero has cleared or not.

My guess is Zavala and Medeiros will go for EE and Cishek.  Sounds like EE is taking his physical today, so we should hear about 1 of them today.  

Purely my opinion, but I think you could group the back end of the 40 man as follows:

• High risk of not making it to ST on the 40 man: Zavala (2 options) and Medeiros (2 options)
  • Next grouping of guy's that can't feel too safe, likely in order: Fulmer (0 options), Foster, (3 options), Ruiz (1 option) Covey (1 option)
  • Doubt they're going anywhere right now:  Engel (1 option), Basabe (1 option), Mercedes (3 options), Rutherford (3 options) Cordero (0 options)

I personally think Sox will hang onto Fulmer, give him last pen spot out of ST, and DFA him shortly thereafter when he's much more likely to clear and stay in the org than if he was DFA'd between now and OD.  Foster is a tough one as he was a surprise add to the 40 man for me personally.  I am not attached to him at all, but clearly Sox saw enough to protect him, so I would assume he survives the offseason.

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I want them to DFA Covey because I would cry tears of joy if he never pitched for the Sox again.

Don't get your hopes up. He has an option remaining, and despite all Sox fans thinking he's terrible (because he has been) and just wanting to cut bait, he is actually somewhat useful depth to have in AAA.  So I highly doubt he's going anywhere, but I share your thoughts that I hope he doesn't throw a pitch in the big leauges for the Sox in 2020.    

Mentioned this in the catchall, but this may be a better spot for it..

When are the Sox going to announce their non-roster ST invites and other milb deals?  I know a few have sprinkled in - Detwiler, Delmonico, Cuthbert, Frare, Burr - but I expect there will be many more, especially guys from outside the org.  Merkin mentioned in a tweet a couple weeks ago that that slew of NRI guys would be announced after the new year, but I haven't seen it.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Mentioned this in the catchall, but this may be a better spot for it..

When are the Sox going to announce their non-roster ST invites and other milb deals?  I know a few have sprinkled in - Detwiler, Delmonico, Cuthbert, Frare, Burr - but I expect there will be many more, especially guys from outside the org.  Merkin mentioned in a tweet a couple weeks ago that that slew of NRI guys would be announced after the new year, but I haven't seen it.  

They announced the NRIs on Jan 23 last year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

How/why is Covey still on the 40 man?  Consistently low Ks, high walks, high WHIP.
At least Guerrero wasn't a proven stiff.

It’s insane how long of a leash Covey has had with this organization. He might be one of the worst pitchers in the history of baseball to get more than a handful of starts, and I’m not exaggerating either.

48 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

How/why is Covey still on the 40 man?  Consistently low Ks, high walks, high WHIP.

His stuff is tantalizing and I get why the sox are infatuated - he throws hard with incredible movement on every pitch he throws..

His command is trash and he falls behind far too often for it to matter but their belief in harnessing it isnt absurd, it's just exhausting as a fan 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His stuff is tantalizing and I get why the sox are infatuated - he throws hard with incredible movement on every pitch he throws..

His command is trash and he falls behind far too often for it to matter but their belief in harnessing it isnt absurd, it's just exhausting as a fan 

Thanks - that make sense.  That's why I want to keep Fulmer.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I want no part of watching Covey pitch for the Sox ever again, but his option has roster value.  Its more valuable than he himself is IMO, but thats pretty much why he hasn't been released yet.  They can dump him any time, but there are others that they can't stash that will be removed first.

2 minutes ago, Colinski said:

Agreed, I can’t remember a time watching baseball and seeing a hitter so overmatched at the level he was at. I know it was SSS, but eye test was awful. 

AJ Reed comes to mind. God was he just horrible in his short Sox stint. 

• Like 1