Mlb Networks Top 10

Whisox05

On 1/9/2020 at 6:06 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d say 100% Grandal, Moncada, Giolito, & Jimenez make it.  Anderson, Robert, & Abreu would be maybes.

They did CF and LF tonight and both Robert and Eloy missed it. The White Sox never really get represented on these. Based on their criteria, I still would be pleasantly surprised if Moncada makes it even though I think he easily is top 10 at his position

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

They did CF and LF tonight and both Robert and Eloy missed it. The White Sox never really get represented on these. Based on their criteria, I still would be pleasantly surprised if Moncada makes it even though I think he easily is top 10 at his position

I don’t think Robert qualified, and they base “the shredder” on the last two years, so that probably held Eloy back. Moncada will make the shredder list, and I’m sure the panelists will have him on their lists too.

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don’t think Robert qualified, and they base “the shredder” on the last two years, so that probably held Eloy back. Moncada will make the shredder list, and I’m sure the panelists will have him on their lists too.

I was replying to that poster’s comment on Robert.

And re: Moncada, I’m not confident that the shredder will include him depending on how much it weighs 2018. Between Arenado, Chapman, Ramirez, Bregman, Rendon, Turner, Machado, Devers, Donaldson, Bryant, and Suarez, it’s not hard to see a scenario in which he gets snubbed

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I was replying to that poster’s comment on Robert.

And re: Moncada, I’m not confident that the shredder will include him depending on how much it weighs 2018. Between Arenado, Chapman, Ramirez, Bregman, Rendon, Turner, Machado, Devers, Donaldson, Bryant, and Suarez, it’s not hard to see a scenario in which he gets snubbed

Now that I see that, wow 3b is loaded.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Jimenez missed it?  Wow...

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jimenez missed it?  Wow...

Yeah, but I think he's gonna have a better year than half of the guys who made it

2 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Moncada is one of the top ten players in baseball

I actually agree with this if you're strictly talking about position players

19 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Moncada is one of the top ten players in baseball

Too much love. Maybe top 25 or so....Bregman, Soto, Bellinger, Acuna, Yelich, Trout, Rendon, Altuve, Betts, Lindor off top of my head. Can probably rattle off another 10 or so w/o too much arguement and another 10 we can quibble over.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Too much love. Maybe top 25 or so....Bregman, Soto, Bellinger, Acuna, Yelich, Trout, Rendon, Altuve, Betts, Lindor off top of my head. Can probably rattle off another 10 or so w/o too much arguement and another 10 we can quibble over.

Moncada was better than half of those guys last year

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Flash said:

Based on? You can also throw in Semien, Marte, Bogaertz, Springer, Chapman, Devers, Story, Arenado. You can look up their WAR #s as easily as me. 

Out of the players in your first post, I'd take 2019 Moncada over Soto, Acuna, Altuve, and Lindor based on various factors. but primarily fWAR and wRC+. As for the players in your recent post, many of them had a higher WAR than Moncada, but a smaller WAR/162. In other words, Moncada's missed games due to injury were the main reason he was not as valuable as they were, therefore, I'm still comfortable saying he's a better player than them 

Part of the fun is disagreeing and while I don't like arguing against our guys, give me Acuna and Soto all day. Between Chapman, Arenado, Devers, Bregman and Rendon, Its hard to argue Moncada is top 5 at his position (not to mention Bryant, Donaldson, Machado, Ramirez, Suarez, et al although the argument can be made for any of them). I suppose if we extrapolate over 162 games, you'd probably have to throw Tatis Jr., Gleybar Torres, Javy Baez into the mix. Plenty of strong players and while Moncada is a talent, I don't think he is top 10 but, like I said, disagreeing is part of the fun.

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

Part of the fun is disagreeing and while I don't like arguing against our guys, give me Acuna and Soto all day. Between Chapman, Arenado, Devers, Bregman and Rendon, Its hard to argue Moncada is top 5 at his position (not to mention Bryant, Donaldson, Machado, Ramirez, Suarez, et al although the argument can be made for any of them). I suppose if we extrapolate over 162 games, you'd probably have to throw Tatis Jr., Gleybar Torres, Javy Baez into the mix. Plenty of strong players and while Moncada is a talent, I don't think he is top 10 but, like I said, disagreeing is part of the fun.

Jose Ramirez?  Not based on last season.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, aeichhor said:

Anyone else find it odd that the Yankees have 2 of the best center fielders? What's up with that ?  You could argue neither one belongs on the list. Neither one played over 100 games in CF last year and the last time Gardner did was 2013. IS CF so devoid of talent that either should have been listed ?

Hicks only played 58 games in CF last year due to injury and had a good season there in 2018 and another good season in 2017 but in only 52 games in CF. Basically neither one has done much in CF . Maybe the Shredder needs to define how many games played in CF in the last few years you need to be qualified, I guess being a Yankee automatically qualifies you.

What a crock.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Gosh I can't believe Laureno was traded for peanuts just 2 years ago.  He was a guy I always wanted badly from the Astros.

And this is why while in a rebuild guys with huge tools coming off a great season who play a premium position very well followed by a poor one in the minors should always be targeted. He had a monster season in A+ and AA in 2016 followed up by a terrible 2017 in AA. Of course Oakland does this kind of thing all the time as does Tampa Bay.  The Sox ? Hmmm not so much.

The Shredder's list is based heavily off of war from the previous two seasons and projections for the upcoming season.  Grandal will obviously be a lock for a top spot.  Abreu will most likely make the list due to limited competition at his position even though he was injured for a portion of 2018.  He also has made the list the past 3 seasons.  Moncado should make the list but might not make it due to his struggles in 2018.  Tim Anderson is in a similar perdicament even though he won the batting title in 2019.  Giolito will also be hurt by his 2018 performance and there's some stiff competition to make any top 10 starting pitcher list.  Eloy just missed the list.  Robert and Madrigal could be there in future seasons.  I think Colome and McCann have a chance but will both fall outside the top 10.