Nest vs Ring

jasonxctf

I use Ring as I replaced a non-functioning doorbell in my 100 yr old house.  It's been great, but I don't have much to compare it too.  But it does everything I want it to, I do get some cars setting off my motion sensor but changed some settings and it seems to work better.  

My aunt and uncle have both and they highly prefer the nest over the ring, mainly because of the over-sensitivity of the ring's sensor, but like I said I pretty much fixed that with a simple setting.

I looked in to both systems and ended up going with Ring for my doorbell, despite owning pretty much everything else Google/Nest (thermostat). 

I have the Ring Doorbell 2 with chime from Costco. The existing doorbell wires utilize the old chime as well as keep the battery topped off. I prefer the Ring 2 vs the Pro, which has no battery option and can't use existing doorbell wires.

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

It's $30 a year per device, or $100 a year for as many as you want. 

If I don't pay $30 for the year, is it just a bell or can you still view live cam? I'm assuming the annual is for the video feed or storage of some kind

22 hours ago, Brian said:

Do you have to pay monthly for Ring or is it just $150 or so for it all?

ARE THERE ANY ADDITIONAL FEES INVOLVED?

All Ring devices will operate without an additional fee or subscription. However, we offer optional Ring Video Recording Plans that cost a monthly or yearly subscription fee. Without Ring Video Recording, you will still receive alerts when visitors press your Doorbell or trigger the motion sensors in your device, and you’ll still get live streaming video and two-way audio, so you can see, hear and speak to guests in real-time, as the event is happening. However, if you don’t have Ring Video Recording and you miss an alert or a live event, you will not be able to review the video. Ring Video Recording will save all of your recordings to your Ring account for up to 60 days, and with Ring Video Recording, you can also review the videos, download them to local storage, and share them via social media, text and email. There are two options for Ring Video Recording: Basic and Protect. Basic costs $3 per month or $30 for the year per device; Protect costs $10 per month or $100 for year, and it covers an unlimited amount of Ring cameras, offers a lifetime product warranty and gives you an additional 10% off future purchases at Ring.com.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Beast said:

Is the $100 Ring still worth getting? I know it doesn’t have the capabilities of the other Ring doorbells but it would replace a non functioning door bell. Also, is there a monthly fee?

I bought one from Woot for like $70, and don't need to store the videos to access later so I get everything that I need right now for just that price.  I still can see a live feed and everything like that.  I'm not really using it as a security service though, just a doorbell and view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigruss said:

I bought one from Woot for like $70, and don't need to store the videos to access later so I get everything that I need right now for just that price.  I still can see a live feed and everything like that.  I'm not really using it as a security service though, just a doorbell and view.

That is all I would need it for. And to upgrade our broken doorbell to something better.

8 hours ago, Brian said:

If I don't pay $30 for the year, is it just a bell or can you still view live cam? I'm assuming the annual is for the video feed or storage of some kind

It still operates as a bell and you can still view live footage. Just no recordings. $30 a year gives you 60 days worth of recording. I think you might also lose access to the Neighbors part of the app if you don't pay $30 a year, which is helpful to share strange activity or crimes near you.

• 2 weeks later...

fwiw Ring can and will turn over your video to law enforcement without your knowledge or consent

their backend integration is kinda trash but that's more applicable to the commercial world than home security systems

what specific problem are you trying to solve with a video doorbell? that might help guide your decision of which, if any, to purchase.

Ring -- and basically all Amazon hardware products -- are an IOT security nightmare. Their security is either (almost) non-existent, implemented poorly, or relies too much on user knowledge in order to thwart bad actors. In addition, when security flaws are reported to them, they often let them sit far too long before patching, etc.

I don't use and do not recommend the use of Amazon products in any household, and will not until Amazon begins showing they're taking a stronger security focused posture behind their products.

• Like 1