random, unverified twitter account tweets Cease/Thor rumor

DirtySox

8 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m really glad the Sox didn’t trade Cease for 2 years of Syndergaard.

I think you might be in the minority on that one...or at least an even split.

There's much less risk doing that, compared to giving Zack Wheeler a guaranteed $120 million.

That said, the Mets won't entertain any moves on deGrom, Syndegaard, Stroman....not to mention Porcello, Wacha and Lugo...until mid-season.  Have Gsellman as well, so lots of possibilities to open up, depending on our own pitching situation at that juncture of the season.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think you might be in the minority on that one...or at least an even split.

There's much less risk doing that, compared to giving Zack Wheeler a guaranteed $120 million.

That said, the Mets won't entertain any moves on deGrom, Syndegaard, Stroman....not to mention Porcello, Wacha and Lugo...until mid-season.  Have Gsellman as well, so lots of possibilities to open up, depending on our own pitching situation at that juncture of the season.

No, he’s definitely not in the minority.  2 years of control does not help the Sox with long-term success and winning.

• Like 3

• Heads22 changed the title to random, unverified twitter account tweets Cease/Thor rumor

Cease is incredibly exciting because he has all the tools to be absolutely great; he has elite, Cole and Verlander level, spin rates on his fastball but he just doesn't get the right spin right now. I imagine it's easier to teach a slight grip adjustment to maximize the damage of your spin rate, than it is to teach an elite spin rate. Cease's problem now is he gets no lateral movement with his fastball - if he can add a little cut to the already elite horizontal movement he could be flat out filthy. Command and fine tuning his spin are the focal points of his development, but WHEN he unlocks it all look out. 

My number one concern with Cease isn't his success or ceiling - it's his durability. 

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My number one concern with Cease isn't his success or ceiling - it's his durability. 

Bingo. I'd argue he has the best pure stuff in the organization and that includes Kopech (which is saying something) but I still question if he can not only go deep into games consistently but if he can be a 200+ innings guy. Funny thing is I've seen comparisons ranging from Rich Harden to Roy Oswalt. We'll see. 

24 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Bingo. I'd argue he has the best pure stuff in the organization and that includes Kopech (which is saying something) but I still question if he can not only go deep into games consistently but if he can be a 200+ innings guy. Funny thing is I've seen comparisons ranging from Rich Harden to Roy Oswalt. We'll see. 

Rich Harden in his prime was a damn good pitcher!  

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Don't you have to have success and win before you have long-term success and winning?

Yes, I just have the feeling we would all have buyer’s remorse after two years of Syndergaard, watching him leave via free agency and realizing we could’ve had 4 more years of Cease.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

12 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, I just have the feeling we would all have buyer’s remorse after two years of Syndergaard, watching him leave via free agency and realizing we could’ve had 4 more years of Cease.

That remorse will be wipped away if the Sox make a couple depp playoff runs with Syndergaard at the top of the rotation.

I don't think this rumor is true at all, but I must be the low man on Cease because I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Particularly after acquiring Keuchel and Gonzalez where having a 1A/1B situation followed by a solid 3 and 5. You would then be hoping for ReyLo to make a jump or Kopech to be ready to roll in his first year back.

4 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I don't think this rumor is true at all, but I must be the low man on Cease because I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Particularly after acquiring Keuchel and Gonzalez where having a 1A/1B situation followed by a solid 3 and 5. You would then be hoping for ReyLo to make a jump or Kopech to be ready to roll in his first year back.

I absolutely believe Cease was dangled

• Like 1