Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DirtySox

random, unverified twitter account tweets Cease/Thor rumor

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m really glad the Sox didn’t trade Cease for 2 years of Syndergaard.

I think you might be in the minority on that one...or at least an even split.

There's much less risk doing that, compared to giving Zack Wheeler a guaranteed $120 million.

 

That said, the Mets won't entertain any moves on deGrom, Syndegaard, Stroman....not to mention Porcello, Wacha and Lugo...until mid-season.  Have Gsellman as well, so lots of possibilities to open up, depending on our own pitching situation at that juncture of the season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think you might be in the minority on that one...or at least an even split.

There's much less risk doing that, compared to giving Zack Wheeler a guaranteed $120 million.

 

That said, the Mets won't entertain any moves on deGrom, Syndegaard, Stroman....not to mention Porcello, Wacha and Lugo...until mid-season.  Have Gsellman as well, so lots of possibilities to open up, depending on our own pitching situation at that juncture of the season.

 

No, he’s definitely not in the minority.  2 years of control does not help the Sox with long-term success and winning.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

 

The rotation would have looked nice with Syndergaard, Wheeler, Giolito, Lopez & Kopech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, surely any team in baseball would be interested in Giolito, Cease, Kopech and Lopez...in no particular order.

Just part of being a top prospect pretty much since the beginning of time.

You have to worry only when they stop inquiring about you, like Carson Fulmer or Dylan Covey.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m really glad the Sox didn’t trade Cease for 2 years of Syndergaard.

Yup

Cease has a very high ceiling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cease is incredibly exciting because he has all the tools to be absolutely great; he has elite, Cole and Verlander level, spin rates on his fastball but he just doesn't get the right spin right now. I imagine it's easier to teach a slight grip adjustment to maximize the damage of your spin rate, than it is to teach an elite spin rate. Cease's problem now is he gets no lateral movement with his fastball - if he can add a little cut to the already elite horizontal movement he could be flat out filthy. Command and fine tuning his spin are the focal points of his development, but WHEN he unlocks it all look out. 

My number one concern with Cease isn't his success or ceiling - it's his durability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My number one concern with Cease isn't his success or ceiling - it's his durability. 

Bingo. I'd argue he has the best pure stuff in the organization and that includes Kopech (which is saying something) but I still question if he can not only go deep into games consistently but if he can be a 200+ innings guy. Funny thing is I've seen comparisons ranging from Rich Harden to Roy Oswalt. We'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Bingo. I'd argue he has the best pure stuff in the organization and that includes Kopech (which is saying something) but I still question if he can not only go deep into games consistently but if he can be a 200+ innings guy. Funny thing is I've seen comparisons ranging from Rich Harden to Roy Oswalt. We'll see. 

Rich Harden in his prime was a damn good pitcher!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't doubt that Cease was discussed in trade talk this offseason to the extent that other teams kept asking about him.  I highly doubt the Sox actually offered Cease for 2 years of Thor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Rich Harden in his prime was a damn good pitcher!  

Yeah, I'd be ecstatic if Cease ever has three 3.5+ WAR years. Harden was really good, just simply threw a ton of pitches to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

No, he’s definitely not in the minority.  2 years of control does not help the Sox with long-term success and winning.

Don't you have to have success and win before you have long-term success and winning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Don't you have to have success and win before you have long-term success and winning?

Yes, I just have the feeling we would all have buyer’s remorse after two years of Syndergaard, watching him leave via free agency and realizing we could’ve had 4 more years of Cease.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, I just have the feeling we would all have buyer’s remorse after two years of Syndergaard, watching him leave via free agency and realizing we could’ve had 4 more years of Cease.

That remorse will be wipped away if the Sox make a couple depp playoff runs with Syndergaard at the top of the rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this rumor is true at all, but I must be the low man on Cease because I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Particularly after acquiring Keuchel and Gonzalez where having a 1A/1B situation followed by a solid 3 and 5. You would then be hoping for ReyLo to make a jump or Kopech to be ready to roll in his first year back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I don't think this rumor is true at all, but I must be the low man on Cease because I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Particularly after acquiring Keuchel and Gonzalez where having a 1A/1B situation followed by a solid 3 and 5. You would then be hoping for ReyLo to make a jump or Kopech to be ready to roll in his first year back.

I absolutely believe Cease was dangled

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also believe Cease was shopped, although I’m not sure about Thor. However, I don’t think the Sox would’ve made any win-now trade without truly believing they could extend the piece they got in return.

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fathom said:

I absolutely believe Cease was dangled

I can believe that as well, but I don't think this particular trade was ever close to happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×