Sox Org Coaching Updates

bmags

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What happened to Grudzielanek? 

Either fired or not retained. 

The optimist in me will believe we are seeing the slow motion move to align the minors toward a more centralized front office set-up. Johansen gets hitting coordinator role. Jirschele continues to move up, older school managers see the door.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Jirschele and Zaleski coming for those major league jobs 👀 

The Jirschele stuff always showed the White Sox drive for new-age, but also defined the disconnect between the different levels. Players felt more comfortable and saw more progress at lower levels - Hansen even got sent down solely to work with the A-Ball pitching coach. That was a problem; the team needed to feel comfortable that the staffs of every level were speaking the same language, and they very clearly weren't comfortable with that. Hopefully this upcoming season is a sign of things changing.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

The optimist in me will believe we are seeing the slow motion move to align the minors toward a more centralized front office set-up. Johansen gets hitting coordinator role. Jirschele continues to move up, older school managers see the door.

About 10 years too late, but nice to finally see.  Get everybody on the same page and have a unified teaching philosophy throughout the system.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Teaford too.  These changes are actually pretty awesome and suggest we are pushing for a more modern development staff.

Zaleski on quite the rise.

He's also one of my favorite trivia answers. At the time he retired from pitching, he had spent 11 seasons in the White Sox minor league system (and no other system). I could not find in B-Ref another modern ballplayer with any org to spend that many years with just one team and NOT reach the majors.

29 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Have any specifics on this?  He had quite the rise and fall.

Hansen had to be sent back down, not because he struggled but because his AA pitching coach couldn't figure out or tell him what was wrong the same way they could in A+. Pretty embarrassing.

Edit; I'll add Hansen is a headcase and this could be more of a Alec problem than a White Sox problem.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hansen had to be sent back down, not because he struggled but because his AA pitching coach couldn't figure out or tell him what was wrong the same way they could in A+. Pretty embarrassing.

Well damn.  You draft a guy you think is a sleeper then don't have the coaching staff in place to bring it out.  Classic Sox disconnect.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Well damn.  You draft a guy you think is a sleeper then don't have the coaching staff in place to bring it out.  Classic Sox disconnect.

I edited my post, but this may be more indicative of Alec than the system. The White Sox have done a pretty fantastic job of developing arms so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

What does this mean? Dotson is still here, so if he died going from Zalesky to Dotson ...

I'm being slightly facetious, but it was more of a "Alec Hansen's progress was stunted to prove that we should promote Zaleski" joke.