Sox Org Coaching Updates

bmags

6 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I thought he had this by the end of last year since every astros cheating article described him as the Dash pitching coach.

I think he was a roaming pitching instructor last year. He started in BH.

It’s really amazing these changes aren’t getting more attention.  Having the pitching coordinator & assistant hitting coordinator being pro-analytics guys is huge.  Bumping up Zaleski is huge and sets him up to be a viable option to replace Cooper in a few years.  Adding Farquhar to the developmental staff is another huge win.  It appears that we are finally starting to modernize our development staff and potentially address our biggest weakness over the past decade or so.  How is this thread only at two pages when we gave the dismissal of a softball coach a good dozen?  I’ve been a Getz hater for a long time, but dude deserves some credit here for finally convincing the org to be bold and enter the 21st century.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s really amazing these changes aren’t getting more attention.  Having the pitching coordinator & assistant hitting coordinator being pro-analytics guys is huge.  Bumping up Zaleski is huge and sets him up to be a viable option to replace Cooper in a few years.  Adding Farquhar to the developmental staff is another huge win.  It appears that we are finally starting to modernize our development staff and potentially address our biggest weakness over the past decade or so.  How is this thread only at two pages when we gave the dismissal of a softball coach a good dozen?  I’ve been a Getz hater for a long time, but dude deserves some credit here for finally convincing the org to be bold and enter the 21st century.

While I am happy they are continuing upon this route, this is all still rather marginal.

Last year I would have considered the Sox among the bottom of franchises in keeping up with technology and integrating it into their PD, and put them with the reds in that dept.

Then the reds hire the Vandy pitching coach as their MLB coach and follow up by acquiring Bauer and then Boddy from driveline. That’s a dramatic surge to catch up and get an advantage over the competition.

The Sox by comparison may be improving upon what they were doing, but who knows if it is even at a pace to keep up with others? Maybe only the Rockies and royals at this point could be peers to the Sox. The mariners, marlins, reds, orioles and tigers have started to make big movements to overhaul everything.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

While I am happy they are continuing upon this route, this is all still rather marginal.

Last year I would have considered the Sox among the bottom of franchises in keeping up with technology and integrating it into their PD, and put them with the reds in that dept.

Then the reds hire the Vandy pitching coach as their MLB coach and follow up by acquiring Bauer and then Boddy from driveline. That’s a dramatic surge to catch up and get an advantage over the competition.

The Sox by comparison may be improving upon what they were doing, but who knows if it is even at a pace to keep up with others? Maybe only the Rockies and royals at this point could be peers to the Sox. The mariners, marlins, reds, orioles and tigers have started to make big movements to overhaul everything.

I think these are pretty significant steps in the right direction for the White Sox. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think these are pretty significant steps in the right direction for the White Sox

While that’s great (and I’m sincere about that, like these moves), your qualifier is what I’m pointing out. I want Sox to want to be better than other teams, not just incrementally improving themselves.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

While that’s great (and I’m sincere about that, like these moves), your qualifier is what I’m pointing out. I want Sox to want to be better than other teams, not just incrementally improving themselves.

For sure but they have to start somewhere. At least Chris Getz has the right idea. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Maybe a dumb question, but what exactly is the role of the hitting and pitching coordinators?

creating consistent programs and teaching methods and information across levels so that players aren't re-inventing the wheel with each coaching staff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Maybe a dumb question, but what exactly is the role of the hitting and pitching coordinators?

Set the agenda for the rest of the organization, have input to Chris Getz about where certain guys get placed in the system etc, decide which coaches go to which affiliate and what not 

• Like 1

You guys know more about this than I do so here's another dumb question: what's the process for hiring/retaining/promoting/firing minor league coaches? Do they have contracts and, if so, so they ever span multiple years?

Always just hear about how some coach is no longer there (Vizquel, Grudz, etc) but no mention of being fired or contract expiring, etc - they just disappear. And then you hear coaches are with one level one year (Jirschele, etc) and then moved to another the next year. Are they not locked in for multiple years?

I get the sense that everyone serves on a one-year contract basis that is reviewed annually but there must be something I'm missing, yes?

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Yep...Jirschele is our manager of the future.

When was the last time a manager was hired from within the teams own ranks and why do we have to anoint whatever minor league manager the manager of the future?

Though I would like Jirschele I think. 

6 hours ago, mqr said:

When was the last time a manager was hired from within the teams own ranks and why do we have to anoint whatever minor league manager the manager of the future?

Though I would like Jirschele I think. 

We don't "have" to anoint anyone.  Just making a prediction.