Reminiscing about 2005 Sox team and record that will never be broken

VAfan

With the Athletic articles about Frank Thomas making #74 on their 100 greatest list, and another article by James Fegan on Paul Konerko, it got me taking a trip down memory lane to that magical 2005 season. Frank started only 28 games, but hit 12 HRs and drove in 26 for a nice little burst early in that season. Paulie hit 5 HRs that postseason, including first inning homers against the Angels, and the grand slam that won game 2 of the World Series.

But the record that will never be matched or broken from that postseason at any point - regular or postseason - was the 4 complete game wins in a row by the Sox' starters in the ALCS against the Angels. 

Mark Buehrle started it off with a 9-inning gem against the Angels, holding them to 1 run on 5 hits. The Sox won it in the bottom of the ninth on the infamous dropped third strike to AJ, who was then pinch run for by Pablo Ozuna, who stole second, and scored on a Joe Crede double into the left field corner. Buehrle was set to come out for the 10th, but it wasn't needed.

Jon Garland was next up in Anaheim, because he hadn't been needed in the Boston series. He beat Jon Lackey 5-2, helped by a 2-run Konerko HR in the first. The Sox were up 5-0 when Garland gave up 2 in the 6th, but he finished out the game with a 4-hitter.

Freddie Garcia was next up in Anaheim. Once again, Konerko came through with a HR in the first, this time a 3-run job, launching the Sox to an 8-2 win. The Angels managed 6 hits in this one. 

Jose Contreras, who had lost the opener 3-2 when he tried to start a double play instead of getting Kennedy at home plate, was not to be outdone. He actually fell behind 3-2 in the 5th, but the Sox rallied with 4 runs over the last 3 innings for a 6-3 win. The Angels managed 5 hits. 

Total - 4 consecutive complete game wins. Gave up 1, 2, 2, and 3 runs. 5, 4, 6, and 5 hits. Here was the Angels' hitting for the series (including game 1) - .177/.200/.266/.466. That's ridiculous!!

It's quite clear that there will never again be 4 complete games in a row at any point in a season in baseball, much less the postseason against a team that won 95 games.  Did the 2019 postseason have even a single complete game?

Oh, and how about these innings totals for 2005 out of the Sox' starters.

Buehle - 236.2

Garcia - 228

Garland - 221

Contreras - 204

The 2019 Sox didn't have anyone reach 200 innings. Nova 187, Lopez 184, Giolito 176.

My memory of this is that Ozzie liked his starters to go 100 pitches each game that season, win or lose. It paid off well in the end. 

Edited by VAfan
  • Like 4

Frank hitting 12 homers in 26 games was amazing; even more so when you heard the reason why he did it. He had told everyone he couldn't actually run because he was so banged up/injured, that hitting the ball not over the fence was always going to be a single... so for that year, Frank changed his entire approach and simply tried to launch the ball. It checks out in his numbers too, and they are eye opening:

1. Frank had an ISO of .371 that year (second in his career behind only 1994)

2. Frank had a BABIP of .169 (LOL!), by far the lowest of his career. Frank literally couldn't run down the line, so he just dropped bombs or walked to first.

3. His HR to FB rate was 28.6% - the highest of his career, and double his career average.

4. His pull rate was 52% - 7% higher than his career average.

What a crazy small sample from Frank - it really showed how amazing he was as a hitter though. He could kill you without his legs even working. Although we all know Frank mastered that art many years prior, with the "flail my ass out and throw the bat at the ball for a blooper to right" method.

• Like 1

Ozzie Guillen may have turned Garland's career around. I remember Garland the top prospect struggling mightily his first few years with the Sox, and at the first sign of danger he was always looking to the bullpen to see pitchers warming and shortly after was always removed from the game.

I remember Garland telling a story about Ozzie where he loaded the bases in a 1 run game in the 5th inning (I believe) and nobody out. Garland looked to the bullpen to see no one warming and Ozzie took a walk to the mound and asked him what he was looking at... told him, it's his fucking problem and it's his to get out of. Walked off the mound, and Garland gave up 2 of the runs and the lead, but started the 6th inning as well. I believe the White Sox lost the game, but Garland stopped looking to the bullpen whenever he got in a jam. That kind of confidence Guillen showed his starters ended up paying off 1 year later in 2005 when Garland and the rest of the staff took huge leaps forward. It's one of the most underrated aspects of Guillen's coaching that I think was overlooked. Joe Maddon could have taken this out of Guillen's playbook with how he managed Hendricks.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

It was a really tough time for me personally.  Was 22, was a few credits short of graduating college, which irked my dad greatly seeings how he had pitched in about 60K for me to go to an expensive private school.  I was living at my parents' house, but they weren't living there (dad and mom have moved downstate for work at that point) and it was a really shitty winter and spring taking classes at the local community college, barely talking to my dad, fighting mostly when we did.

Anyways, that 2005 season brought my dad and I closer and made us some shared joy.  It was a very emotional season for many fans I'm sure.

I will NEVER forget that I left the sports bar (the only one in town) that had the game on up in N. MI after the bases were loaded for El Duque in ALCS.  I figured for sure he'd blow it, how couldn't he there was nobody out...bases loaded...but that SOB got it done and from that point on the Sox mostly cruised to the title.  I was sitting in my car outside the bar listening and made the biggest "WHOO YEA" when he got the last out.  

That's right it was 3-2 check swing K, wow!

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It was a really tough time for me personally.  Was 22, was a few credits short of graduating college, which irked my dad greatly seeings how he had pitched in about 60K for me to go to an expensive private school.  I was living at my parents' house, but they weren't living there (dad and mom have moved downstate for work at that point) and it was a really shitty winter and spring taking classes at the local community college, barely talking to my dad, fighting mostly when we did.

Anyways, that 2005 season brought my dad and I closer and made us some shared joy.  It was a very emotional season for many fans I'm sure.

I will NEVER forget that I left the sports bar (the only one in town) that had the game on up in N. MI after the bases were loaded for El Duque in ALCS.  I figured for sure he'd blow it, how couldn't he there was nobody out...bases loaded...but that SOB got it done and from that point on the Sox mostly cruised to the title.  I was sitting in my car outside the bar listening and made the biggest "WHOO YEA" when he got the last out.  

I was also in my early 20's. I broke my leg badly in February and had to move back in with my folks after surgery. I was in a cast until November and my leg will never be the same. I did get to watch literally every game of that season though, so it was probably worth it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Frank hitting 12 homers in 26 games was amazing; even more so when you heard the reason why he did it. He had told everyone he couldn't actually run because he was so banged up/injured, that hitting the ball not over the fence was always going to be a single... so for that year, Frank changed his entire approach and simply tried to launch the ball. It checks out in his numbers too, and they are eye opening:

1. Frank had an ISO of .371 that year (second in his career behind only 1994)

2. Frank had a BABIP of .169 (LOL!), by far the lowest of his career. Frank literally couldn't run down the line, so he just dropped bombs or walked to first.

3. His HR to FB rate was 28.6% - the highest of his career, and double his career average.

4. His pull rate was 52% - 7% higher than his career average.

What a crazy small sample from Frank - it really showed how amazing he was as a hitter though. He could kill you without his legs even working. Although we all know Frank mastered that art many years prior, with the "flail my ass out and throw the bat at the ball for a blooper to right" method.

I always hear people say they wish he was more a part of that team, but man, they miss the playoffs without him.

• Thanks 1

Such great memories, and what a great season.  In my experience Sox fans are far too modest when they talk about that postseason and its place in baseball history.  Not only the 4 complete games (which I agree will never be matched), but the *best postseason record in baseball history.*  (I also read that it was the biggest run differential, though I admit I haven't researched that one).  Nobody in the long history of the sport ever plowed through the playoffs like the Sox did.  Nobody.  It was the most dominating postseason ever.  Sox fans seem to have bought into the idea that there was something fluky about that team, (and by other measures maybe there was), but October 2005 was no fluke.  Nobody's ever done it better.

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

With the Athletic articles about Frank Thomas making #74 on their 100 greatest list, and another article by James Fegan on Paul Konerko, it got me taking a trip down memory lane to that magical 2005 season. Frank started only 28 games, but hit 12 HRs and drove in 26 for a nice little burst early in that season. Paulie hit 5 HRs that postseason, including first inning homers against the Angels, and the grand slam that won game 2 of the World Series.

But the record that will never be matched or broken from that postseason at any point - regular or postseason - was the 4 complete game wins in a row by the Sox' starters in the ALCS against the Angels. 

Mark Buehrle started it off with a 9-inning gem against the Angels, holding them to 1 run on 5 hits. The Sox won it in the bottom of the ninth on the infamous dropped third strike to AJ, who was then pinch run for by Pablo Ozuna, who stole second, and scored on a Joe Crede double into the left field corner. Buehrle was set to come out for the 10th, but it wasn't needed.

Jon Garland was next up in Anaheim, because he hadn't been needed in the Boston series. He beat Jon Lackey 5-2, helped by a 2-run Konerko HR in the first. The Sox were up 5-0 when Garland gave up 2 in the 6th, but he finished out the game with a 4-hitter.

Freddie Garcia was next up in Anaheim. Once again, Konerko came through with a HR in the first, this time a 3-run job, launching the Sox to an 8-2 win. The Angels managed 6 hits in this one. 

Jose Contreras, who had lost the opener 3-2 when he tried to start a double play instead of getting Kennedy at home plate, was not to be outdone. He actually fell behind 3-2 in the 5th, but the Sox rallied with 4 runs over the last 3 innings for a 6-3 win. The Angels managed 5 hits. 

Total - 4 consecutive complete game wins. Gave up 1, 2, 2, and 3 runs. 5, 4, 6, and 5 hits. Here was their the Angels hitting for the series (including game 1) - .177/.200/.266/.466. That's ridiculous!!

It's quite clear that there will never again be 4 complete games in a row at any point in a season in baseball, much less the postseason against a team that won 95 games.  Did the 2019 postseason have even a single complete game?

Buehle - 236.2

Garcia - 228

Garland - 221

Contreras - 204

The 2019 Sox didn't have anyone reach 200 innings. Nova 187, Lopez 184, Giolito 176.

My memory of this is that Ozzie liked his starters to go 100 pitches each game that season, win or lose. It paid off well in the end. 

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

Total - 4 consecutive complete game wins. Gave up 1, 2, 2, and 3 runs. 5, 4, 6, and 5 hits. Here was their the Angels hitting for the series (including game 1) - .177/.200/.266/.466. That's ridiculous!!

Buehle - 236.2

Garcia - 228

Garland - 221

Contreras - 204

I read the same articles this morning & felt the same way. Thank you for the breakdown of that magical playoff season. One of the best memories of that season was being at game five in Anahime. Yes, the game was fantastic, but after the team came out on the field to celebrate with the few White Sox fans in attendance. The guys were drinking & smoking cigars while we cheered them. Then, Paulie put up four fingers & said " four more" & we all went nuts!  Unbelievable day to be a White Sox fan!

One of the things I will never forget...I was using public transportation at the time and was at the end of the Midway Orange line waiting for the train to leave when the Red Sox loaded the bases with nobody out.  I was using my walkman radio and could not stand it just sitting there so I got off of the train and just paced back and forth in the terminal with my headphones on.  Listening to El Duque get out of that inning was unbelievable...I am getting goosebumps now remembering how awesome that was.  

From the "wake me up when September ends" almost nightmare when the Indians almost caught us to 1-0 final game against the Astros...what a ride.  If I am not mistaken for the last month of baseball season, the Sox only lost the one game to Angels in the postseason...they won all the rest of the games in that 30 day period.

45 minutes ago, wegner said:

One of the things I will never forget...I was using public transportation at the time and was at the end of the Midway Orange line waiting for the train to leave when the Red Sox loaded the bases with nobody out.  I was using my walkman radio and could not stand it just sitting there so I got off of the train and just paced back and forth in the terminal with my headphones on.  Listening to El Duque get out of that inning was unbelievable...I am getting goosebumps now remembering how awesome that was.  

From the "wake me up when September ends" almost nightmare when the Indians almost caught us to 1-0 final game against the Astros...what a ride.  If I am not mistaken for the last month of baseball season, the Sox only lost the one game to Angels in the postseason...they won all the rest of the games in that 30 day period.

The Sox finished the season and playoffs 16-1. Two 8-game winning streaks separated by the 3-2 loss to the Angels in the opener of the ALCS. 

Here's another little tidbit from that 2005 season.

1st game of the season won 1-0 by the Sox.

1st game after the All-Star break won 1-0 by the Sox.

Last game of the World Series won 1-0 by the Sox.

After the season was over, I typed out 17 single-spaced pages of all the amazing things I remembered from that year to preserve. If this thread goes on long enough, I'll pull out a few more tidbits, including some of the Haikus that we wrote on this site that year. 

5 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Here's another little tidbit from that 2005 season.

1st game of the season won 1-0 by the Sox.

1st game after the All-Star break won 1-0 by the Sox.

Last game of the World Series won 1-0 by the Sox.

After the season was over, I typed out 17 single-spaced pages of all the amazing things I remembered from that year to preserve. If this thread goes on long enough, I'll pull out a few more tidbits, including some of the Haikus that we wrote on this site that year. 

I hope it goes on long enough to read some of those

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Freddy Garcia gave whatever he had left for that ring. He was never the same pitcher after the 2005 season. He was topping out at 94 mph in game 4 of the WS and never threw a fastball over 90 mph again. 

I was on the street outside Midway when the Sox got back to town and Freddy was hanging out of the top of his limo trying to spray the crowd with Champagne...haha good times!!!

I still remember being in my car listening on the radio as El Duque got out of that jam on my way home from work. We were stuck in traffic and my girlfriend (now wife) started to have a panic attack! I really never had experience with anyone having a panic attack before. I was like oh just my luck, trying to listen, navigate traffic all while trying to calm her down because it wasn't the game that was causing this for her. 

Another memory was Iguchi's HR, my girlfriend said "Dinner's ready" and I told her I'd be there just after he hit a home run and next pitch, Bam!

Its funny I spent part of the weekend watching 2005 White Sox videos on Youtube- there's some good stuff out there, I need a baseball fix.  To me (and many others), PK's grand slam was the greatest moment in White Sox history.  I think El Duque's bases loaded no outs inning vs. the Bosox was right up there with Scotty's game winning home run, Blum's home run, Crede's double to win the Angels game after AJ's "passed ball" and Uribe's grab in the stands during the game 4  9th inning. 

2005, what an experience. 

There are so many great many great moments in 2005, they are hard to list. That last out in Detroit to cinch the division is one of the best. I had tears in my eyes out of relief. Then it just got better. That is why the last few years have been so hard. But these memories will last a lifetime. I agree with palehose1. The Konerko grand slam is the greatest moment in franchise history. It was so apt that Konerko was the player who came through. I just hope we get one more experience like this.

21 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Watching the playoffs and World Series made me miss Hawk. Chris Berman was openly rooting for the Red Sox and Joe Buck sounded disappointed calling the Sox the 2005 World Champs after the last out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wegner said:

I hope it goes on long enough to read some of those

I think i tried a few times since the site rebuild to access old threads about the playoff and world series but couldn't find as much as I thought i'd be able to. I don't really know how much of what was written here 15 years ago is saved but people were pouring their hearts out here. I know I wrote a post I considered some of my best writing .

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think i tried a few times since the site rebuild to access old threads about the playoff and world series but couldn't find as much as I thought i'd be able to. I don't really know how much of what was written here 15 years ago is saved but people were pouring their hearts out here. I know I wrote a post I considered some of my best writing .

Hopefully we will all be able to pour our hearts out here again in the not too distant future...of course I am not sure if it will equal the pure joy of 2005 after waiting for so long.  

Speaking of fond little memories...we had just moved into our house in Morgan Park in 2005 and someone in the neighborhood would set off some fireworks after every Sox playoff win that year.  I waited for it after the marathon extra inning win but no fireworks...but I stayed up watching the postgame even though I had to work in the morning.  Lo and behold after about 20 minutes of post game, I hear the fireworks and thought "there he is" and turned off the tv and went to bed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Hopefully we will all be able to pour our hearts out here again in the not too distant future...of course I am not sure if it will equal the pure joy of 2005 after waiting for so long.  

Speaking of fond little memories...we had just moved into our house in Morgan Park in 2005 and someone in the neighborhood would set off some fireworks after every Sox playoff win that year.  I waited for it after the marathon extra inning win but no fireworks...but I stayed up watching the postgame even though I had to work in the morning.  Lo and behold after about 20 minutes of post game, I hear the fireworks and thought "there he is" and turned off the tv and went to bed.

I was at the pennant clinching game in Anaheim stadium with my childhood buddy and his young son. Had really nice seats too. After later buying the Playoffs and World Series DVD set I watched it. During the Pepsi 7th inning stretch I see my buddy with his son on his lap when the camera went into the stands . It was a close up almost specifically on them as i recall since I didn't see myself and I was right next to them.

• Love 1

2005 was a magical, yet bittersweet, season for me.  Seeing the Sox win the World Series will forever go down as the greatest sporting moment in my life.  Sure, the Bulls 6 championships and Blackhawks 3 championships in the 2010's were awesome, but nothing tops seeing the team you are most attached to win it all.

But in February 2005, my dad passed away at 50 years old.  My dad is the reason that my mom, my brother, my sister and I are Sox fans.  I really wish I was able to watch and celebrate the 2005 season with my dad.