MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

No penalty for Beltran.

I find it fascinating that the players have escaped all punishment - you know, the people who actually participated and benefited from the plan - while the FO and coaching staff takes the blame. This resolution is the exact opposite of the PED era where the players dealt with all the punishment, while the FO/Commissioners office was lauded for their growth of the game.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly, that is pretty tame punishment.  

I'm not sure you can call it tame.

Luhnow and Hinch being suspended for 1 year causes a decision from the Astros. Do they fire Hinch? Do they fire Luhnow? I would guess they don't fire Luhnow, but the question has to be asked. In most professions, he'd be fired.

Losing a 4 picks is a pretty harsh penalty as well; especially in the 1st and 2nd round where teams find most of their value.

Alex Cora is going to be suspended for 1 year while Carlos Beltran avoided all suspensions because he was technically a player.

If I was Cora, I would have a hard time accepting that kind of hypocrisy but he's certainly earned his suspension.

No players were disciplined by Major League Baseball in the Astros' investigation. While Mets manager Carlos Beltran was part of it, he was a player at the time and thus was not suspended. Discipline for Red Sox manager Alex Cora is coming. It is going to be harsh, per sources.

Just now, bmags said:

I am disappointed in this, this is hardly anything at all.

I'm not sure what you were expecting.

The commissioner always had his hands tied as he works for the owners, and the owners aren't going to sign off on a penalty that destroys an organization because they may think their team will be next.

This was about as steep as MLB was going to get away with; given that they can't ban a team from the post-season (this isn't college sports) without serious blow back from both sides.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not sure what you were expecting.

The commissioner always had his hands tied as he works for the owners, and the owners aren't going to sign off on a penalty that destroys an organization because they may think their team will be next.

This was about as steep as MLB was going to get away with; given that they can't ban a team from the post-season (this isn't college sports) without serious blow back from both sides.

The penalties handed out to ATL were harsher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not sure you can call it tame.

Luhnow and Hinch being suspended for 1 year causes a decision from the Astros. Do they fire Hinch? Do they fire Luhnow? I would guess they don't fire Luhnow, but the question has to be asked. In most professions, he'd be fired.

Losing a 4 picks is a pretty harsh penalty as well; especially in the 1st and 2nd round where teams find most of their value.

Losing the last pick of the 1st round and the last pick of the 2nd round doesn't really matter that much.  Its not like its a top 10 pick.

Luhnow and Hinch suspensions are basically nothingburgers IMO.  Who gives a fuck?  Hardly impacts the Astros on the field.

Losing the picks is far harsher than the manager/gm suspensions, but with how good the Astros are currently, its not really not going to impact them much.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Alex Cora is going to be suspended for 1 year while Carlos Beltran avoided all suspensions because he was technically a player.

If I was Cora, I would have a hard time accepting that kind of hypocrisy but he's certainly earned his suspension.

No players were disciplined by Major League Baseball in the Astros' investigation. While Mets manager Carlos Beltran was part of it, he was a player at the time and thus was not suspended. Discipline for Red Sox manager Alex Cora is coming. It is going to be harsh, per sources.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

If I was John C I'd be appealing the shit out of this now. He created issues that messed with some teams budgets, this was systematic in game cheating. 

Ding ding ding.

MLB banned Coppolella for minor league signing bonus violations and 13 prospects were stripped.

Here, games were tampered with and Lunhow and Hinch got off light comparatively.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

The penalties handed out to ATL were harsher.

What the Braves did could have been considered illegal based on labor and tax laws - it could have violated federal law if those "reported" signing bonuses are what was recorded on financial statements; and if the earnings are what were claimed and filed by the players. Although many of these players paid their tax in their countries or national origin.

What the Astros did was illegal within the game and the game only. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What the Braves did could have been considered illegal based on labor and tax laws - it could have violated federal law if those "reported" signing bonuses are what was recorded on financial statements.

What the Astros did was illegal within the game and the game only. 

And this was a punishment within the game, so...I don't see the issue.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Ding ding ding.

MLB banned Coppolella for minor league signing bonus violations and 13 prospects were stripped.

Here, games were tampered with and Lunhow and Hinch got off light comparatively.

And they were not allowed to participate in intl for what, 4 years?

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Luhnow and Hinch Suspended for 1 year & Fired