MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.....its completely  nothing.  And Burger and Collins were top 10ish picks.  Astros aren't losing any of those.  The Astros, as situated, get the least negative impact of pretty much any org losing their 1st and 2nd rounders for 2 years.  The likelihood of them finding 1 impact player with those picks were low.  

It seems like a good penalty to me, what would you have done further?

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

It seems like a good penalty to me, what would you have done further?

Lifetime ban. Bring down the hammer. I don't think that anything short of that would deter anyone from doing it again. This is a far more egregious offense than what the Braves did with their international signings. It's the moral equivalent of your entire team roiding up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lifetime ban. Bring down the hammer. I don't think that anything short of that would deter anyone from doing it again. This is a far more egregious offense than what the Braves did with their international signings. It's the moral equivalent of your entire team roiding up. 

The problem is, as much as I dislike Jeff Luhnow it's hard to argue this was done at his direction.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The problem is, as much as I dislike Jeff Luhnow it's hard to argue this was done at his direction.

Like it or not, they've just opened pandora's box. There's no reason not to do this if you're already good. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I bet that is the defacto result.  The Astros are going to hire a GM and Manager.  They aren't going to not have guys in those positions for a year.  I'd bet they just fire Hinch and Luhnow.  And I bet no one hires them because they are radioactive.  

Maybe I have too much faith in people though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I bet that is the defacto result.  The Astros are going to hire a GM and Manager.  They aren't going to not have guys in those positions for a year.  I'd bet they just fire Hinch and Luhnow.  And I bet no one hires them because they are radioactive.  

Maybe I have too much faith in people though.

Probably. Especially in a society that glorifies winning at any cost, and views moral integrity as mental weakness. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Read above.  Already answered that question.

Yeah, sorry I was catching up.  I guess from my perspective I thought it was good because it is more than I expected.  Someone (Tom Pickle maybe?  Threw you the like! ) that this is the best slap on the wrist possible.  I guess that is probably about right.  

Edited by turnin' two

I would've liked to have seen them get hit with a stricter luxury tax threshold as well.  It's 208 million for 2020.  For the Astros, should have it lowered to like 125 million or something and they have to pay the taxes this year and leave something in place for a few years instead of a 5 million fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, sorry I was catching up.  I guess from my perspective I thought it was good because it is more than I expected.  Someone (Tom Pickle maybe?) that is the best slap on the wrist possible.  I guess that is probably about right.  

No need to apologize.  I guess its better than nothing, but its not very much.  At least make it hurt.  No top 5 picks and no ITNL $ for three seasons, the max fine ($5M) and the suspensions is the least it should have been.  

• Thanks 2

When you factor in that this caused the firing of Luhnow, it seems like a fair enough punishment. Maybe baseball wanted to give Crane the right to fire his people. 

Hinch is essentially banned for life - as I can't imagine anyone touches a manager with this tied to them, because they're easily replaced. How baseball handles Luhnow will be interesting; clearly very intelligent, but a culture that isn't exactly wonderful. Will someone hire Jeff next year?

• Kalapse changed the title to Luhnow and Hinch Suspended for 1 year & Fired