MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It definitely seems like Alex Cora was the worst of the bunch and chose to cheat to win as much as possible.  I wonder if he will be canned.

Considering he’s the mastermind, and with multiple teams, he’s got to have a longer suspension than Hinch, in my opinion. If that happens, the Red Sox would probably follow suit, and replace him. Cora may have managed his last game in MLB.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Complete nonsense; don't take the Astros blaming an assistant coach who is no longer with the organization as the ring leader. 

This was a top down plan that would not have been led or devised by an assistant coach.

The idea that AJ Hinch just sat back and said 'Noooooooooo don't cheat' and let his bench coach walk all over him is absurd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Complete nonsense; don't take the Astros blaming an assistant coach who is no longer with the organization as the ring leader. 

This was a top down plan that would not have been led or devised by an assistant coach.

But members of the 2018 Red Sox said that Cora brought his cheating ways to their team as well...

https://theathletic.com/1510673/2020/01/07/mlbs-sign-stealing-controversy-broadens-sources-say-the-red-sox-used-video-replay-room-illegally-in-2018/

I never said that Luhnow or Hinch were innocent but Cora seems like he doesn’t compete without cheating.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But members of the 2018 Red Sox said that Cora brought his cheating ways to their team as well...

https://theathletic.com/1510673/2020/01/07/mlbs-sign-stealing-controversy-broadens-sources-say-the-red-sox-used-video-replay-room-illegally-in-2018/

Yeah, the cheating ways he LEARNED in Houston.

I can't believe anyone thinks that an organization as obsessed with "process and procedure" as the Astros is buying this idea that a bench coach implemented a plan of coordinated cheating sans any assistance/guidance from leadership/FO/Manager; and better yet, he did it despite receiving blow-back from "players and Hinch." So we're expected to believe that Cora pushed this and ignored leaderships quests to squash it? Yeah, OK!

When the Red Sox report comes out I bet we'll learn that Cora said he learned it all from Houston. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, the cheating ways he LEARNED in Houston.

I can't believe anyone thinks that an organization as obsessed with "process and procedure" as the Astros is buying this idea that a bench coach implemented a plan of coordinated cheating sans any assistance/guidance from leadership/FO/Manager; and better yet, he did it despite receiving blow-back from "players and Hinch." So we're expected to believe that Cora pushed this and ignored leaderships quests to squash it? Yeah, OK!

When the Red Sox report comes out I bet we'll learn that Cora said he learned it all from Houston. 

Fine, so Cora should face punishment as well.  And he contributed to it at not one organization, but two.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Fine, so Cora should face punishment as well.  And he contributed to it at not one organization, but two.

Cora is absolutely complicit and deserving of punishment and will receive one... but to insinuate that he was the ring leader of this, given the "control" Houston has over their organization and the coaches within it (remember, Houston fired everyone who didn't toe the company line and policy on analytics and process), is nonsensical.

I'm surprised how many people here are saying Hinch and Luhnow are gone for good. They built an absolute juggernaut in Houston and revolutionized the way front offices approach baseball. MVP Machine is this generation's moneyball. Maybe they never get back to the top jobs, but I'd bet my neighbor's house that within three years, both are serving in some capacity for baseball teams. Luhnow in particular will be some BS "Special coordinator of the Minor Leagues" or something that allows him to overhaul a team that has fallen behind the times. 

EDIT: Ron already has a thread about Hinch replacing Ricky FFS

Edited by gusguyman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

I'm surprised how many people here are saying Hinch and Luhnow are gone for good. They built an absolute juggernaut in Houston and revolutionized the way front offices approach baseball. MVP Machine is this generation's moneyball. Maybe they never get back to the top jobs, but I'd bet my neighbor's house that within three years, both are serving in some capacity for baseball teams. Luhnow in particular will be some BS "Special coordinator of the Minor Leagues" or something that allows him to overhaul a team that has fallen behind the times. 

EDIT: Ron already has a thread about Hinch replacing Ricky FFS

Because they will forever be known as cheaters. With so many other candidates for the very few number of jobs they were in, it isn't worth the trouble. Besides I have read on this thread cheating seems to he the o ly reason they ever won, although it did seem to stop after 2018 and they did win 107 games this year 

Hinch might get a coaching job but he won't manage in the major leagues. Luhnow has way too much baggage now. Maybe a lesser role out of the public eye for him, if that, but no one will let him run their club

2 hours ago, Quin said:

So to be clear, people saying this is harsh...

Jake Burger, Zack Collins, Gavin Sheets, Alec Hansen, a year suspension for Hahn and Renteria, and $5M isn't worth a World Series

This depends on the draft. What if it was the Carlos Correa and George Springer back to back first round picks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This depends on the draft. What if it was the Carlos Correa and George Springer back to back first round picks?

First overall and 11th overall.

Not 30th overall and somewhere between 25-30th overall.

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG difference.  

• Thanks 1

What about stealing signs using binoculars in center field like Detroit had been doing for years? Also under Dombrowski’s watch. Where do they draw the line now  

Baseball should outfit the pitchers and catchers with wireless devices for signaling pitches. That should be easily doable, and save a little time too. 

51 minutes ago, Baker said:

What about stealing signs using binoculars in center field like Detroit had been doing for years? Also under Dombrowski’s watch. Where do they draw the line now  

Baseball should outfit the pitchers and catchers with wireless devices for signaling pitches. That should be easily doable, and save a little time too. 

How do they get that information to a batter/baserunner?

Wonder what Ozzie’s take is, since he’s so close to Cora’s brother...whose chance at managing has pretty much been doomed through guilt by association.

And, did Renteria ever attend Camp Cora down in Florida with Alex also present, lol?

Probably no such luck.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1