MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

26 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Over the past couple of years, Passan has surpassed Rosenthal IMO. Passan is a great reporter and stays out of trouble, while Rosenthal has been parroting what the league wants people to think (as you noted) and has made some uncomfortable statements regarding players with domestic abuse histories (most notably Addison Russell)

No way. Rosenthal is the one who got to this story in the first place.

Rosenthal is the best reporter in all of the athletic world; I give him the nod over Woj. Passan has done a nice job, but he hasn't surpassed the GOAT. He didn't praise Russell's choices, or downplay his actions, as much as he applauded taking accountability and not giving fake ass apologies. 

28 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Over the past couple of years, Passan has surpassed Rosenthal IMO. Passan is a great reporter and stays out of trouble, while Rosenthal has been parroting what the league wants people to think (as you noted) and has made some uncomfortable statements regarding players with domestic abuse histories (most notably Addison Russell)

Rosenthal definitely unsurpassed in understanding player movement, but passan is the best baseball writer in america now.

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The lying about it and non apologies and generally being known as a dick contributed a lot 

I don't know on what planet that is at the same level as what Luhnow and Hinch did, and seen as worse than using violence against your spouse.

It just seems incredibly random to suspend him for a year.  It doesn't scale properly.  Not that I care that guy is a fuck head.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

But that's essentially what it is.

Players that actually beat their spouses get like 60 games.  What he did was obviously wrong but is not close to what domestic abusers do, or what Luhnow and Hinch did.

Taubman, Hinch, and Luhnow all represent MLB and the Houston Astros. Their actions, although different, smeared the name of the sport and organization. Their offenses are different but both have a long lasting effect that needed to be dealt with. I do agree with you that the penalties of domestic abusers are laughable compared the these suspensions though.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't know on what planet that is at the same level as what Luhnow and Hinch did, and seen as lesser than using violence against your spouse.

It just seems incredibly random to suspend him for a year.  It doesn't scale properly.  Not that I care that guy is a fuck head.

If the suspension got them fired, it is way stronger than a one year ban. Teams aren't going to touch these guys. Personally, I have no idea why the Astros did what they did. They clearly were good enough to win playing straight.  I have no problem with teams stealing signs the old fashioned way, but TVs, and binoculars are just wrong. 

14 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

But that's essentially what it is.

Players that actually beat their spouses get like 60 games.  What he did was obviously wrong but is not close to what domestic abusers do, or what Luhnow and Hinch did.

Well actually no, that's not at all what it was.

He repeatedly harassed the reporter over the course of the year while she was simply trying to do her job and support a cause she was passionate about. This wasn't some one off situation. Osuna is a piece of garbage who beat his wife; the Astros not only embraced his actions, but attacked those who wanted to remind the world of his actions. Harboring and supporting his actions is every bit as harmful and dangerous as the act itself.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If the suspension got them fired, it is way stronger than a one year ban. Teams aren't going to touch these guys. Personally, I have no idea why the Astros did what they did. They clearly were good enough to win playing straight.  I have no problem with teams stealing signs the old fashioned way, but TVs, and binoculars are just wrong. 

Again, they won in game 7 of the World Series; I have no idea why you continue to insinuate with such certainty that they would have won regardless. The degree by which they became champions was minuscule and any benefit they gained by cheating clearly had an impact on the outcome.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Again, they won in game 7 of the World Series; I have no idea why you continue to insinuate with such certainty that they would have won regardless. The degree by which they became champions was minuscule and any benefit they gained by cheating clearly had an impact on the outcome.

I didn't say they would have won, but they definitely had the horses to do it. They were good enough to win a WS without doing this. Whether they would have won is anyone's guess because no one can tell you either way how each playoff game was effected.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I didn't say they would have won, but they definitely had the horses to do it. They were good enough to win a WS without doing this. Whether they would have won is anyone's guess because no one can tell you either way how each playoff game was effected, either good or bad. 

I can tell you with certainty that it did not have a negative impact on the Astros by any means.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Game 7, the Dodgers scored 1 run. Maybe the Astros get shutout, but that would be a reach. 

Assuming that they'd be in a game 7 could be a reach.  They still certainly could have won without cheating.  But, you know, they didn't.  We will never know the outcome of that series had it been played on level ground.

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Assuming that they'd be in a game 7 could be a reach.  They still certainly could have won without cheating.  But, you know, they didn't.  We will never know the outcome of that series had it been played on level ground.

There was an enormous amount of discussion at the time about whether or not Darvish was "Tipping pitches" when he was getting hammered mid-series. He's the one who gave up the early 5 spot in that game 7. Well, now with hindsight...his tipping might have been a CF camera. Want to hear video guy #1 talk about it after game 7?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The report also alludes to other things about "how employees are treated" and "Dealings with the press" that I'm not sure are fully captured by the list you gave. There's probably some other stuff we don't know about. 

The whole Brady Aiken situation

Trying to force all the young players to sign below fair value extensions early in their careers (which backfired with Singleton and Grossman)

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/23793/skewed-left-the-economics-of-the-singleton-extension/

I think we all know that there is some kind of cheating in baseball. It starts in little league and works its way up. 

But what are we willing to tolerate? Yogi Berra used the rub the ball in the dirt during night games making it harder to see. During the 1950s and 1960s, the White Sox had great pitching and played in a big ball park. The team was accused of putting baseballs in the freezer. It was also said the grounds crew really dampened the dirt right in front of home plate. Is this cheating or home field advantage?

As fans, we should at least hope for some honesty. We invest a great deal of emotion and money in the sport. If we come to feel game results have little integrity, there is no point going to a game.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If there won't be any punishment for the players who either were directly involved with or at best looked the other way while their team cheated blatantly en route to a world series win, should other teams fans just be ok with and accepting of those players?

We signed one of the highest profile players on a team that is as of now the biggest MLB scandal in a decade. Do we just shrug our shoulders and admit that we're all ok with what the Astros did now that he's on our team?

Well thank god you’re here to fight the good fight Balta!  Definitely wouldn’t want Keuchel to get away with not snitching on his teammates!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well thank god you’re here to fight the good fight Balta!  Definitely wouldn’t want Keuchel to get away with not snitching on his teammates!!

This is ugly. Do you really want to take the side that Keuchel not doing anything was a positive good? He didn’t have to publicly snitch to have handled it.