MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Man everyone has something to say now lmao

84A06320-9E72-48BA-9746-418EB120B2CA.jpeg

The part about Trout and the thyroid can't be true. It doesn't make sense. Thyroid issue are treated by hormones but not HGH. A pituitary issue could be treated with HGH but not thyroid.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No my point is that it's going to happen and it can't be stopped. However, when they are caught, they should be punished appropriately.

Others on the board have said that cheating should be stopped. My point is that it isn't realistic to say "cheating should stop."

I see.  Well, MLB should do everything in its power to stop it.  Theft will also never stop.  Neither will murder.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything we can to deter and punish them.  If you just keep repeating "it's not realistic to try and stop" bad behavior you're really walking a fine line between worldly realism and apologism.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Got it, thanks. I just thought it was assumed we already knew MLB was lying, or at least covering something up, due to the weakness of the original punishment 

The punishment wasn't weak. They pretty much went as far as they could for first time punishments. They can't go from no precedent to life time bans instantly. If they tried this with the players, the union would get involved. If the GM or managers had a union, this would be in grievance right now. The next punishments will be greater due to this precedent.

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I see.  Well, MLB should do everything in its power to stop it.  Theft will also never stop.  Neither will murder.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything we can to deter and punish them.  If you just keep repeating "it's not realistic to try and stop" bad behavior you're really walking a fine line between worldly realism and apologism.

Hence my comment about, if they are caught they should be appropriately punished.

Just now, ptatc said:

The punishment wasn't weak. They pretty much went as far as they could for first time punishments. They can't go from no precedent to life time bans instantly. If they tried this with the players, the union would get involved. If the GM or managers had a union, this would be in grievance right now. The next punishments will be greater due to this precedent.

Yes, it wasn't weak from a standpoint of what they could have done, but it was weak in the sense that a World Series championship far outweighs the penalties

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Yes, it wasn't weak from a standpoint of what they could have done, but it was weak in the sense that a World Series championship far outweighs the penalties

I mean, I think the 10% of MLB managers that lost their jobs, would still very much rather have their job

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I mean, I think the 10% of MLB managers that lost their jobs, would still very much rather have their job

I don't care about the managers, I care about the prospect of something similar happening again, and the punishment did not do much to dissuade similar future plots

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not sure that was the case. Why didn't other teams do like the Farqhar did for the Sox and simply change signs every other at bat or so to confuse the Astros. Everyone knew they were doing it, so change it yourself. 

Teams probably didn't turn the Astros in because they were doing it themselves. It may not have been as advanced but many were probably doing it.

Edited by ptatc

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't care about the managers, I care about the prospect of something similar happening again, and the punishment did not do much to dissuade similar future plots

It can't happen on a team wide basis without the managers knowledge. Now the managers can go to the players and instead of saying "stop it, it's wrong" they can say "stop it I don't want to lose my job." This will hit home more with the players.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure that was the case. Why didn't other teams do like the Farqhar did for the Sox and simply change signs every other at bat or so to confuse the Astros. Everyone knew they were doing it, so change it yourself. 

Teams probably didn't turn the Astros in because they were doing it themselves. It may not have been as advanced but many were probably doing it.

It sure seems like in 2017 teams didn't really realize the Astros were doing this, Farquhar seems to have legitimately been the first to recognize it and the fact that he figured it out made the astros panic that they had been caught so they started destroying the evidence. 

Just now, flavum said:

Who knows how widespread this is, but it’s going to be real interesting to see if foul balls go way down, and swings and misses go up league wide. They could probably point to the baseball if runs scored goes down this year, but 2020 might be an eye opener.

Need to correlate that with the liveliness of the ball as well. Could be an interesting year for the pitchers in their contract years.

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

The baseball subreddit is getting dangerously close to 'we did it reddit' levels of dumb over the confetti

I agree. I hate when this happens too because it tends to help the astros. More and more unbelievable stories come out, you find out they aren't true, and it makes it "not so bad" when all they did was bang a trash can. If Passan/Rosenthal/mlb start looking into the accusations, i'll believe it.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree. I hate when this happens too because it tends to help the astros. More and more unbelievable stories come out, you find out they aren't true, and it makes it "not so bad" when all they did was bang a trash can. If Passan/Rosenthal/mlb start looking into the accusations, i'll believe it.

All for getting to the bottom of this stuff, but the 'investigative reporting' and head hunting going on from internet dorks* is getting out of hand. 

*aware of the irony

Edited by mqr

having hilarious dreams of mlb regulating the crap out of technology and throwing out trackman and advanced tech, devastating all organizations...

...except the white sox who own the next decade because they never got started.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

All for getting to the bottom of this stuff, but the 'investigative reporting' and head hunting going on from internet dorks is getting out of hand. 

we never learn from much worse examples like the boston bomber crap.