MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You would be wrong but speculate away. It's nice not to need information to spout opinions.

At what  point should one speculate on a message board?  When they are  50% sure?  75% sure?  When they have corroborating sources willing to go on the record and swear on a bible?  I respect you and quin but this tone policing is nonsense and speaks to silly authoritarian instincts that permeate online spaces as well as off.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

You seriously think guys like JJ Watt, Aaron Donald and David Johnson are natural? Like, wtf? 

I'm sure there are a few that are getting away with something.  However, you need to remember that the best athletes are there because of genetic anomalies to begin with. I've seen many players in all sports that dont use anything that look like that to  speculate on looks alone.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

At one point should one refrain from posting opinions on a message board?  When I'm 50% sure?  75% sure?  When I have corroborating sources willing to go on teh record?  I respect you and quin but this tone policing is nonsense and speaks to silly authoritarian instincts that permeate online spaces as well as off.

No post opinions all you want. It's free to do so. I'm just saying that I personally  would not in good conscience speculate with no information to go on.

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Luckily, none of our speculation carries any weight in the real world. 

Yes that is a good thing. This is like many discussions in the world of academia. Lots of talk doesnt really matter to accomplish anything.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

I have a lot of respect for guys like Larry Wheels who are completely transparent about it all. He gives his complete doping schedule because he doesn't want people to have goals that aren't achievable. Granted, he's just a power lifter, but it's refreshing. 

That's good. Unfortunately,  people in MLB, NFL, or Olympic sports cant do that if they want to keep competing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

That's good. Unfortunately,  people in MLB, NFL, or Olympic sports cant do that if they want to keep competing. 

Also very true. The other good thing about Larry Wheels, and a lot of other lifters, is that they realize many people in those sports have body image issues, and they feel some sense of responsibility. 

And finally, all being said, Barry Bonds is easily the best baseball player who's ever lived, and I don't think it's particularly close. Eddy Merckx is easily the best cyclist who's ever lived, and it's not particularly close. Both were clearly doping. I'm not really sure where we deviate between clean and not. It's all pretty murky at this point, but I'll err on the side of the majority being dopers. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Also very true. The other good thing about Larry Wheels, and a lot of other lifters, is that they realize many people in those sports have body image issues, and they feel some sense of responsibility. 

Body image issues is a whole other can of worms. I used to work with the mr. America junior competitions. It was awful with those kids. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

And finally, all being said, Barry Bonds is easily the best baseball player who's ever lived, and I don't think it's particularly close. Eddy Merckx is easily the best cyclist who's ever lived, and it's not particularly close. Both were clearly doping. I'm not really sure where we deviate between clean and not. It's all pretty murky at this point, but I'll err on the side of the majority being dopers. 

Binds did it before any real testing so that really doesnt pertain to how players do it today. 

Many will argue mccovey was better and he only did greenies. 😁

14 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Vacating trophies is a very bad idea. It doesn't make sense in college and it doesn't make sense in the pros. You can't unring the bell, it's done.

Yes I agree. In addition the precedent has already been set with our very own 1919 black sox scandal. Whom conspired to throw that world series. There is no asterix next to the Reds WS that year whether the Sox threw it or not.

Thanks for the Kevan Smith interview.  He said two things that really stuck out to me:  1) Neither the Sox nor the Angels had video sign stealing, and 2) Even last year it seemed like the Astros inexplicably had guys, even with no obvious pitch-tipping or runners on base.  It’s going to be interesting to see how this effects their numbers.  They still have a lot of talent, but if every guy you face is, in essence, tipping their pitches, you’re going to do better.

Also, not surprised Sox weren’t doing this.  Hard to imagine losing that many games AND cheating.

The moral high ground here is a slippery slope. Similar to condemning one husband for his wandering eye and acting as though the rest of the gang is guilt free. I recall Raffy's outrage before Congress before being outed for cheating. Most of these guys are not heroes. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:14 PM, reiks12 said:

Totally worth it, Manfred dropped the ball here. 

No, he didn't. He kicked ass.  He got everyone's attention.  There is no perfect solution.  Just STFU and let him do his job, which he is doing.  Perfection will not happen.