MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Players sounded like a bunch of arrogant wimps. They don't seem to have any idea what this scandal means  and probably don't care. Hope they don't get near that World Series they seem to think they are entitled to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Look, this is a terrible scandal. Teams got caught cheating. Astros and Red Sox should have titles stripped and/or not be allowed in the MLB draft for five years. Cheating is fine. You get caught you pay.

That’s like the death penalty for SMU football in the late 80’s.

Never going to happen...the owners care more about maintaining escalating franchise valuations.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/should-the-astros-lose-their-world-series-title-174048506.html

Vacate

Allowing them to keep the title vindicates cheating

Do you know what wasn’t suspended? The Astros’ World Series banner. Do you know what wasn’t fired? Their World Series rings. ...Is it worth it? Unless MLB decides to vacate their title, it’s hard to say it wasn’t.” — Mike Oz, Yahoo Sports

The Dodgers deserve to be remembered fairly in record books

“The Astros should be forced to hand the Commissioner’s Trophy back to Commissioner Rob Manfred right now, vacate the title and forever leave that space in the record books as empty as the organization’s integrity. The Dodgers didn’t win it on the field, but history should forever note that nobody beat them.” — Bill Plaschke, Los Angeles Times

Vacating the title would be a lasting punishment worthy of the offense

“Make them take down the banner at Minute Maid Park and vacate all records of their title. If you don’t think that hurts, ask the players from the 2004 USC football team how they feel about the Trojans being forced to return the national championship trophy because of NCAA rules violations.” — Bob Brookover, Philadelphia Inquirer

There’s no question that cheating directly contributed to their victory

“Let’s keep it real, they have a championship that there's a good chance they don’t deserve. We can say with confidence that the Astros cheated on the playing field and therefore didn’t deserve that World Series ring.” — Chris Broussard, Fox Sports

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Players sounded like a bunch of arrogant wimps. They don't seem to have any idea what this scandal means  and probably don't care. Hope they don't get near that World Series they seem to think they are entitled to.

Every team should just get real passive aggressive with how Astros players are handling this and hand out either miniature drums or tiny trash cans when playing the Astros.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Quin said:

Every team should just get real passive aggressive with how Astros players are handling this and hand out either miniature drums or tiny trash cans when playing the Astros.

That's good. " Bang your trash can day" at comiskey. Could be a sell out.

• Haha 2

Not having read this entire thread, perhaps this has already been suggested, but why can't pitchers and catchers utilize a similar means of electronic communication, to eliminate future sign stealing? Putting down fingers seems like a pretty antiquated method of communication, in this modern digital age. That would be a completely appropriate use of the technology and eliminate the ability of teams to steal signs. 

As for the appropriateness of the punishments handed down by the Commissioner; As long as the perpetrators keep their World Series titles, it doesn't seem like justice has really been served here. Managers and GM's get fired all of the time, for doing nothing wrong, beyond failing to produce. That is not a harsh punishment and not sufficient to deter future violations. Beyond the deterrent issue, the fact is that the Astros, and perhaps the Red Sox, did not fairly earn their championships. That fact is not being addressed, by simply suspending a few people for one year. Well, I'm sure that has all been expressed by others, but that's my take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Not having read this entire thread, perhaps this has already been suggested, but why can't pitchers and catchers utilize a similar means of electronic communication, to eliminate future sign stealing? Putting down fingers seems like a pretty antiquated method of communication, in this modern digital age. That would be a completely appropriate use of the technology and eliminate the ability of teams to steal signs. 

As for the appropriateness of the punishments handed down by the Commissioner; As long as the perpetrators keep their World Series titles, it doesn't seem like justice has really been served here. Managers and GM's get fired all of the time, for doing nothing wrong, beyond failing to produce. That is not a harsh punishment and not sufficient to deter future violations. Beyond the deterrent issue, the fact is that the Astros, and perhaps the Red Sox, did not fairly earn their championships. That fact is not being addressed, by simply suspending a few people for one year. Well, I'm sure that has all been expressed by others, but that's my take. 

Someone would figure out a way to jam or distort signals (or hack into the comms)...yeah, I don’t think the LA City Council or state legislators claiming the 2017 and 18 WS trophies will have much of an impact.

Edited by caulfield12

58 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Someone would figure out a way to jam or distort signals (or hack into the comms)...yeah, I don’t think the LA City Council or state legislators claiming the 2017 and 18 WS trophies will have much of an impact.

So the nfl has the technology but mlb cannot? 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I'm not qualified to address the technological challenges, but I suspect that a secure means of communication could be achieved. 

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I agree with in spirit for most of this, but I really think a detailed investigation has to occur before any more punishment (if any) is handed out.

The problem here is similar to other baseball scandals. MLB tends to look the other way, things blow up, and there is no real policy in hand to deal with the situation. The industry and the union need to get together to hammer out things regarding this and other kinds of cheating. There will always be some kind cheating or shading things. But certain things can't be tolerated and long-term action needs to be taken to provide real deterrence. Fans pay to go to games. They are entitled not to be cheated.