MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

lol yes, the players have done so well *checks notes* making up bad tattoos as the reason that Altuve didn't want his jersey removed 

Yeah, no shit. That's what I was implying- no need to wait to hear from Manfred at 3:30 because it'll be a bunch of nonsense

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I like you, and I respect you. But given what Denny McLain did (for example), this view is kinda horseshit.

Weaver got suspended for knowing about the scam, but not reporting it; Jackson's involvement still isn't 100% clear.

Are we to believe that NONE of McLains team mates knew about his gambling and (allegedly) mob-related bookkeeping activity, but didn't report it? Or Pete Rose's team mates didn't know anything about his gambling? Sorry, but MLB hasn't been as hardcore on gambling as they purport to be.

Houston (and all their cheating players) did far worse with their cheating, full stop.

I should have clarified. It's not my view, it the way the MLB views it. There are few hard fast rules in baseball, many unwritten rules. On the wall in every clubhouse is the sign about gambling. Anytime players get involved with gambling MLB is going to take a hard line and make it the worst.

I was purely speaking as why the sign stealing scandal is treated differently from gambling related issues from an MLB view not mine. 

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

- Tim hit for celebrating a homer, doing things that make baseball popular. Manfred does nothing.

- Astros draw cheat, Manfred gotta protect them.

Brad Keller got suspended 5 games if that’s what you’re referring to. 
Sounds like penalties will be longer for everyone if they think the pitcher is throwing at the batter. 

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Brad Keller got suspended 5 games if that’s what you’re referring to. 
Sounds like penalties will be longer for everyone if they think the pitcher is throwing at the batter. 

The suspension came because of the fight, not because Keller had a hurt ego.

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

This whole scandal has delegitimized the World Series title they won. It doesn’t matter if it’s ever take away, the public backlash and perception is as bad or worse.

Bullshit. New England Patriots fans still claim their team has won 6 championships despite the rampant cheating that has been proven by the NFL again and again. Astros fans won't care unless you take it away and ban people, if history is any indication.

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Bullshit. New England Patriots fans still claim their team has won 6 championships despite the rampant cheating that has been proven by the NFL again and again. Astros fans won't care unless you take it away and ban people, if history is any indication.

Yeah. I'm not really sure why this has gotten so much more attention than the Patriots cheating infractions. It may be because the MLB actually did something about it where the NFL barely did anything. 

33 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

This isn’t even comparable to the Patriots. Not necessarily because of the cheating but because of public perception. Houston has been villainized in a way that NE never was. These guys are forever tarnished. They had their opportunity to fess up and put on a good show apologizing and they failed. Now everyone wants blood and will never forgive or forget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Yeah. I'm not really sure why this has gotten so much more attention than the Patriots cheating infractions. It may be because the MLB actually did something about it where the NFL barely did anything. 

It's far more egregious than what the patriots did. The Astros had real time, full time pitch tipping. It's far worse than anything the Patriots did.

This past week the Astros had a perfect opportunity to go before the world (not just their fan base) and show some humility and apologize. They think that's what happened. I  think otherwise.  There was no sincerity at all in their apologies. There was no remorse coming from any of the handful that were the ringleaders there in Houston. These guys read a script-- thats all. They were coached. Some might say the only thing that They're sorry about is that they got caught. I'm not sure that's even accurate. It sounds like They're more mad they got caught then sorry. The closest thing we have to a sincere apology is from Beltran and a few of the players who are no longer with the Astros organization. No sadly, I really don't think that these players feel that they did anything wrong. It was a culture that was set up by the coaches and staff and players. And when implemented it was under an oblivious owner who still feels it had no impact on the game. 

So with all that being said, I'm sorry (no pun intended) Justin Verlander if you and your teammates are ready to move on and put this behind you  -- because We the fans are not ready to move on. We never got a sincere "I'm sorry ". We deserve more. Each mlb club deserves more. The Dodgers deserve more. What you guys did was a disgrace to the game. Honestly when you're on the road I hope every fan base lets you hear it. I hope the media keeps asking questions about the cheating all season long. In fact, I can't wait for the Astros to come to GRF. Hopefully this year in the playoffs. (Only a 3 game set at Houston in June). I hope the Astros get agitated and impatient with what they hear and the questions that are asked. This is the bed they have made now they have to sleep in it.

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, smellysox said:

This past week the Astros had a perfect opportunity to go before the world (not just their fan base) and show some humility and apologize. They think that's what happened. I  think otherwise.  There was no sincerity at all in their apologies. There was no remorse coming from any of the handful that were the ringleaders there in Houston. These guys read a script-- thats all. They were coached. Some might say the only thing that They're sorry about is that they got caught. I'm not sure that's even accurate. It sounds like They're more mad they got caught then sorry. The closest thing we have to a sincere apology is from Beltran and a few of the players who are no longer with the Astros organization. No sadly, I really don't think that these players feel that they did anything wrong. It was a culture that was set up by the coaches and staff and players. And when implemented it was under an oblivious owner who still feels it had no impact on the game. 

So with all that being said, I'm sorry (no pun intended) Justin Verlander if you and your teammates are ready to move on and put this behind you  -- because We the fans are not ready to move on. We never got a sincere "I'm sorry ". We deserve more. Each mlb club deserves more. The Dodgers deserve more. What you guys did was a disgrace to the game. Honestly when you're on the road I hope every fan base lets you hear it. I hope the media keeps asking questions about the cheating all season long. In fact, I can't wait for the Astros to come to GRF. Hopefully this year in the playoffs. (Only a 3 game set at Houston in June). I hope the Astros get agitated and impatient with what they hear and the questions that are asked. This is the bed they have made now they have to sleep in it.

If we can take one more thing from Correa making up a BS lie about a tattoo, it’s that this is already getting to them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

It's far more egregious than what the patriots did. The Astros had real time, full time pitch tipping. It's far worse than anything the Patriots did.

As opposed to getting all the signals from the offense and defense for the team they are playing the following week? Knowing what the plays or audibles the other team uses is a much bigger advantage in football than if the pitch coming is a fastball or breaking pitch. Knowing the plays in football is everything.

7 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

This isn’t even comparable to the Patriots. Not necessarily because of the cheating but because of public perception. Houston has been villainized in a way that NE never was. These guys are forever tarnished. They had their opportunity to fess up and put on a good show apologizing and they failed. Now everyone wants blood and will never forgive or forget.

The Patriots weren't villainized like the Astros because Goodell is even more of a spineless coward than Manfred and buried the evidence. Both teams stole signals using technology to relay them to their players to give them a competitive advantage.

Edited by Dam8610