MLB cheating scandal

Look at Ray Ray Run

I am not sure what the Commissioner should do now. I would be concerned about a draconian penalty like banning a player  from baseball for life, like Kennesaw Landis did to  1919 WS players.  That was a bad decision   (in my opinion)  that has been given too much credit by most baseball historians, But that is another topic..

The Astros can help to end this by coming clean about exactly what was done and by whom so that penalties can be meted out proportionately. Any player who knew about the cheating scheme should be fined.  Any player who actively participated ( i.e., communicated signs or wore a buzzer)  should be suspended  from the game for one year and fined even more.  The Astros should be barred from the next play-off  birth that they would otherwise be entitled .

Houston you have a problem, but don't continue to make your problem impact all of major league baseball. 

I found Correa's effort to cover up for Altuve to be laughable. Oh right, Altuve had an unfinished tattoo he did not want to show.  Sure..

Edited by tray

IMHO, any player who wore a buzzer to cheat, especially in the playoffs, should not be playing mlb in 2020.

I was impressed by Ken Rosenthal sensing that something unusual  was going on in real time and asking Altuve right after the game why he did not want his jersey taken off. 

Edited by tray
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, tray said:

IMHO, any player who wore a buzzer to cheat, especially in the playoffs, should not be playing mlb in 2020.

I was impressed by Ken Rosenthal sensing that something unusual  was going on in real time and asking Altuve right after the game why he did not want his jersey taken off. 

And if only a Redditor hadn't been posting about it during the damn World Series.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/astros-sign-stealing-scandal-reddit/guv8c2tyeb4h1gx9h61qapv6k 

I had a dream a couple weeks back when the astros were playing the rays, it was that after the post season finished a news story came out that the astros had a team of people deciphering signs with cameras and then that team relayed the signal to transponders that were worn in the cleats of the top (trusted not to snitch) astros players, the transponders would vibrate according to what pitch was coming (example: once for fastball, twice for off speed)

But it was just a dream haha. That wouldn't happen.

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Rosenthal has said he was fed that question by the producer. He was too busy getting from the photographer’s well area to the field to watch Altuve himself.

Unfortunately, I . for one. am not satisfied by Dallas Keuchel's  response or with any other Astro player who will not  tell us everything that they knew about the cheating.

So, did Dallas see the buzzers?  Who was involved with relaying signs from the dugout?  The Astros have to come clean. This thing isn't going to go away until they do.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Unfortunately, I . for one. am not satisfied by Dallas Keuchel's  response or with any other Astro player who will not  tell us everything that they knew about the cheating.

So, did Dallas see the buzzers?  Who was involved with relaying signs from the dugout?  The Astros have to come clean. This thing isn't going to go away until they do.

It will never go away even if they do. This will be talked about for decades, its the biggest team scandal since the Black Sox. 

Scott Merkin was asked by Hub Arkush tonight of the White Sox player’s opinions in camp about the Astros and Merkin said the players haven’t spoken at all about them.

Merkin never mentioned why they haven’t discussed the Astros and Arkush was too clueless to challenge him on it.  Hmmm, maybe because Keuchel is now their teammate?  It was an embarrassing discussion to say the least.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:07 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Manfred even released a statement saying Crane knew nothing; at the end of the day, the punishment could never reach the levels fans wanted because ownership groups would never ever sign off.

Exactly. 

Although it is very unlikely, the Astro players might be best served, at this point, by actually being accountable and trying to demonstrate some sincere contrition. So far, their obviously scripted and phoney apologies have been transparently rejected by fans and players alike. Again, while it's highly unlikely, they might be able to stem the tide of scorn and vitriol by admitting that they did not fairly compete and therefore did not deserve their championship. Rather than the League stripping them of their title, they should volunteer to give back the trophy and their rings. That would earn them some respect and help restore the reputation of the game. I know, it's never going to happen, but it should.

"Astros outfielder Josh Reddick just told reporters he has received death threats via social media — and that in one case someone wished cancer upon his children. Reddick said he’s not the only one in the Astros’ clubhouse who had received death threats, either."

I don't know the full story here, but apparently Reddick/etc. where trolling people on twitter before and now this has all transpired.  

IMO This is really on Manfred's head... he's the one who said the punishment these players will get will be enough. He's almost begging fans to punish these guys.