Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Look at Ray Ray Run

MLB cheating scandal

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I get that it would have been extremely harsh.  But that is what I was hoping for, and just answered the question.

If you don't want people to cheat, punish the living hell out of the cheaters.  This isn't deterring anyone.

Yeah, but you're punishing players on the current roster who didn't cheat or participate. This is why that punishment would never fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely think the punishments could’ve been tougher, but we’ll see if they tighten up the rules on technology during the game. Nothing wrong with scouting and studying video before games, but during games it should be banned.

On a separate note, Alex Cora should get at least two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flavum said:

Definitely think the punishments could’ve been tougher, but we’ll see if they tighten up the rules on technology during the game. Nothing wrong with scouting and studying video before games, but during games it should be banned.

On a separate note, Alex Cora should get at least two years.

Not sure how they'd enforce this but it could be as simple as posting an MLB employee in the clubhouse.  I think it's something they should look at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly, that is pretty tame punishment.  

Yup.  $5M for the org is nothing.  Suspensions for executives feel like a slap on the wrist.  No punishment for any of the players that participated either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, how does baseball assure that Luhnow doesn't assist the team in any capacity? Will they monitor all FO communications (Phone/EMail/Text) over the next 9 months? 

Luhnow should be terminated because the Astros have proven they will do anything they can to skirt the rules. It wouldn't shock me if Luhnow was still in contact with Astros officials if he isn't terminated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Reading the reports, it seems like Cora may he the one eating the lifetime ban. Pretty scathing of him.

I am shocked the one they all pointed their fingers at was the one...no longer in their org.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Yup.  $5M for the org is nothing.  Suspensions for executives feel like a slap on the wrist.  No punishment for any of the players that participated either.  

$5 million is the most they could be fined under MLB rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I think the players not being suspended had to do with not wanting to bring the MLBPA into this.

Probably true.  But doesn't help it look like anything but a light punishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the one thing I wanted more than any other was Luhnow just had to be forced out of Astros. The one year ban that is a season long ban is a joke. He'll probably be whatapping the crap out of everyone anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to be clear, people saying this is harsh...

Jake Burger, Zack Collins, Gavin Sheets, Alec Hansen, a year suspension for Hahn and Renteria, and $5M isn't worth a World Series

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Also, how does baseball assure that Luhnow doesn't assist the team in any capacity? Will they monitor all FO communications (Phone/EMail/Text) over the next 9 months? 

Luhnow should be terminated because the Astros have proven they will do anything they can to skirt the rules. It wouldn't shock me if Luhnow was still in contact with Astros officials if he isn't terminated.

The prospect of a lifetime ban might be enough, but it does seem like it would be hard to really prove he was breaking the rules during a ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a pretty significant penalty. Your manager and GM are gone for a season. The max fine is given, and you lose your top 4 picks the next 2 seasons. I think that is enough to deter teams from doing this again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quin said:

So to be clear, people saying this is harsh...

Jake Burger, Zack Collins, Gavin Sheets, Alec Hansen, a year suspension for Hahn and Renteria, and $5M isn't worth a World Series

 

Right.....its completely  nothing.  And Burger and Collins were top 10ish picks.  Astros aren't losing any of those.  The Astros, as situated, get the least negative impact of pretty much any org losing their 1st and 2nd rounders for 2 years.  The likelihood of them finding 1 impact player with those picks were low.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It's a pretty significant penalty. Your manager and GM are gone for a season. The max fine is given, and you lose your top 4 picks the next 2 seasons. I think that is enough to deter teams from doing this again. 

No it's not. It's a slap on the wrist. I'd bet you that 30/30 fanbases think that if this is the punishment for cheating to win a world series, it's worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The prospect of a lifetime ban might be enough, but it does seem like it would be hard to really prove he was breaking the rules during a ban.

Yeah, but I'd love to know the rules? Can jeff call tom and ask how the kids are? Can jeff get dinner with Jim Crane for fun? Or is he not allowed to have any contact at all with anyone in the organization?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RegionSox said:

I'm assuming if they lose the draft picks they lose the money from their overall draft pool too.  

If they don't then you're just adding $20k to their draft pool because they won't have to do two extra senior signings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack Parkman said:

No it's not. It's a slap on the wrist. I'd bet you that 30/30 fanbases think that if this is the punishment for cheating to win a world series, it's worth it. 

Most teams could cheat twice as much as this and have no shot at a WS. The fact is, this team could have won without cheating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Quin said:

So to be clear, people saying this is harsh...

Jake Burger, Zack Collins, Gavin Sheets, Alec Hansen, a year suspension for Hahn and Renteria, and $5M isn't worth a World Series

 

The hell it ain't.  Sign me up for that right now.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, but I'd love to know the rules? Can jeff call tom and ask how the kids are? Can jeff get dinner with Jim Crane for fun? Or is he not allowed to have any contact at all with anyone in the organization?

I read a Keith Law chat where he mentioned they can go through phone records, emails, etc. If he is stupid enough to not comply with his suspension, he is going to get caught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, but I'd love to know the rules? Can jeff call tom and ask how the kids are? Can jeff get dinner with Jim Crane for fun? Or is he not allowed to have any contact at all with anyone in the organization?

I would imagine it's a complete ban on any contact.  And I'd hope that if he doesn't follow that directive he's banned forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×