COVEY DFA-ed - Signed by TB

BackDoorBreach

11 minutes ago, flavum said:

Just a guess here, I think Covey leaves the organization one way or the other- release or choosing free agency if he doesn’t get claimed. He can’t be in the picture anymore, even though I thought Zavala was going to be the guy cut.

Isn't it a requirement that in order to be able to elect free agency, you have to have been outrighted previously?  I don't believe Covey has, and therefore I am not sure electing free agency will be an option for him.  I could be wrong on that, but pretty sure that is the rule.  

Sox could elect to do a him a solid and release him upon request though.  

44 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

As shit as he was, who is our emergency break glass starter now? 

37 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Who's our long man out of the bullpen?

For at least a portion of the season, it's going to be Gio Gonzalez. If something goes wrong in April, you can use "Mr. Rainout" or call up Kopech for a start during a double header. Later in the season, Rodon could fill that role. Other guys like Lambert and Dunning are lower but could be options at some point also. 

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Genuinely surprised here.  Figured Covey was a few guys down the list.  We have 5 "catchers" on the 40 man.  But not sad to see him go.

That said....he's likely to clear, so don't get too excited!!

Sox still may move a catcher so keeping Zavala around might be necessary atm .

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For at least a portion of the season, it's going to be Gio Gonzalez. If something goes wrong in April, you can use "Mr. Rainout" or call up Kopech for a start during a double header. Later in the season, Rodon could fill that role. Other guys like Lambert and Dunning are lower but could be options at some point also. 

Flores, Kubat and (ugh) Detwiler should all be in the AAA rotation as well and could take a spot start if need be (hopefully there won't be a need).  Flores on 40 man so probably top of the list with Dunning and Lambert missing the first half, at least.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Isn't it a requirement that in order to be able to elect free agency, you have to have been outrighted previously?  I don't believe Covey has, and therefore I am not sure electing free agency will be an option for him.  I could be wrong on that, but pretty sure that is the rule.  

Sox could elect to do a him a solid and release him upon request though.  

Yeah, I’m not sure the exact rules on that. I guess they could have just given him a release to begin with. We’ll see what happens, but it just feels like he’s gotta get a fresh start someplace else. 

Just now, flavum said:

Yeah, I’m not sure the exact rules on that. I guess they could have just given him a release to begin with. We’ll see what happens, but it just feels like he’s gotta get a fresh start someplace else. 

Just refreshed my memory on those rules, and yah, he can't elect free agency.

You need either 3+ years of MLB service time (he has 2 and change) or been outrighted previously, which he hasn't been.  So chances are if Covey clears waivers, he'll be in Charlotte.  Which is fine.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Genuinely surprised here.  Figured Covey was a few guys down the list.  We have 5 "catchers" on the 40 man.  But not sad to see him go.

That said....he's likely to clear, so don't get too excited!!

Not excited & he will be back......in one way or another. 

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Thanks for that awesome game in Boston where you out dueled our old friend, Chris Sale.  If he clears waivers and ends up in Charlotte, fine.  If not, good luck to you sir.

I was at that game in Boston (June 2018 -- near my birthday and have some Boston roots and family). Fortunate to sit right behind the plate. Covey was insane. 95-96 with crazy darting movement. Lots of sink. Sale was awesome too, but if you didn't know their full resumes, one would have thought Covey had every bit the accomplishments as Sale. For a 4-5 week period, dude put it all together and harnessed the potential that made him a high draft choice to begin with and a viable Rule 5 lottery pick by the Sox.

But those overall stats for three years in a Sox uniform. Wow are those ugly.

Sort of a pitcher's version of Joe Borchard. Some incredible tools on paper. Every now and then you see a flash. But absolutely zero reason to believe there is going to be any sustained and consistent success.

Good luck, DC. Seems like a good guy and clearly worked hard at his game. It's just gratifying to see that the depth is improved that we can cut some of these paper warriors without holding them ... forever.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Not designating Zavala yet, after all these moves, really indicates to me that they're really trying to move in a trade one of the catchers.. Otherwise, I don't get why he is still around.

Probably more likely that they don't really view Mercedes, and to a lesser extent Collins, anything more than emergency/occasional catchers at the MLB level. Without those two, its Zavala is really the only true catcher in AAA, tho he's certainly not great with the glove either.  

But I agree - I thought Zavala would be gone before Covey. 

23 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Not designating Zavala yet, after all these moves, really indicates to me that they're really trying to move in a trade one of the catchers.. Otherwise, I don't get why he is still around.

There is probably a better way to fill out a 40 man, but teams always need catchers, and not necessarily good ones, so having a couple extra isn't a bad thing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orlando said:

My favorite moment of the Covey era is when the Twins absolutely shelled him. He said it was because he knew many players on that team and was nervous, completely ignoring the fact that he always got shelled. I hope he finds employment outside of the AL Central. Now two teams have players he knows on it.

Personally, I would love it if he caught on with Detroit, KC, Cleveland or even Minnesota again. lol

• Haha 1

• knightni changed the title to COVEY DFA-ed - Signed by TB