Pitching Staff in April; Pitching Staff in July: who ya got?

chitownsportsfan

With the position players almost completely settled I have to admit quite a bit of ignorance about how the pitching is going to look.  What is the rotation on opening day?  What will it look like in mid-summer?

As I said I'm a bit ignorant here but on opening day might be:

Gio, Kuechel, Cease, Gio, Lopez.

By mid summer might be:

Gio, Kopech, Kuechel, Rodon, Gio/Cease/Lopez.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Rodon coming back and contributing bot for now I'll pencil him in.

The pen seems much more set:

Colome, Herrera, Cishek, Bummer, (big drop off) to Fry, Cordero,  Marshall and whoever else makes it.  I have no confidence in Marshall to repeat his 2.79 ERA.  I think the pen is going to be a dumpster fire at points this year.   Bummer could be the wild card.  If he has a year like last year he could elevate the entire pen as the 4 out guy in the 6th and 7th.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

With the position players almost completely settled I have to admit quite a bit of ignorance about how the pitching is going to look.  What is the rotation on opening day?  What will it look like in mid-summer?

As I said I'm a bit ignorant here but on opening day might be:

Gio, Kuechel, Cease, Gio, Lopez.

By mid summer might be:

Gio, Kopech, Kuechel, Rodon, Gio/Cease/Lopez.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Rodon coming back and contributing bot for now I'll pencil him in.

The pen seems much more set:

Colome, Herrera, Cishek, Bummer, (big drop off) to Fry, Cordero,  Marshall and whoever else makes it.  I have no confidence in Marshall to repeat his 2.79 ERA.  I think the pen is going to be a dumpster fire at points this year.   Bummer could be the wild card.  If he has a year like last year he could elevate the entire pen as the 4 out guy in the 6th and 7th.

APRIL:

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Lopez, Gonzalez

JULY:

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Lopez, Kopech.

Gonzalez and Rodon will be in bullpen. Lopez looks fine enough to leave as the 5 so Gonzalez moves when Kopech comes up.

Just now, cjgalloway said:

APRIL:

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Lopez, Gonzalez

JULY:

Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Lopez, Kopech.

Gonzalez and Rodon will be in bullpen. Lopez looks fine enough to leave as the 5 so Gonzalez moves when Kopech comes up.

That would be awesome if things are going so well with the youngsters that Rodon and Gonzo are depth pieces out of the pen.  Could even get creative and try using Rodon as an opener for Lopez/Cease/Kopech to save innings.

Opening Day

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Gonzalez, Lopez

Pen: Colome, Bummer, Cishek, Fry, Herrera, Marshall, Cordero, Fulmer

June 1

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Lopez

Pen: Colome, Bummer, Cishek, Fry, Herrera, Cordero, Gonzalez, Hamilton

August 1

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon

Pen: Colome, Bummer, Cishek, Fry, Herrera, Cordero, Hamilton, Burdi 

• Like 2

Kopech will take Gonzalez out of the rotation whenever his service time has been sufficiently manipulated.

This is assuming Cease and Lopez don't implode. 

Edit: And yeah I'm pretty bearish on the pen.  I wanted 1 more high leverage arm.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Opening Day

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Gonzalez, Lopez

Pen: Colome, Bummer, Cishek, Fry, Herrera, Marshall, Cordero, Fulmer

June 1

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Lopez

Pen: Colome, Bummer, Cishek, Fry, Herrera, Cordero, Gonzalez, Hamilton

August 1

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Rodon

Pen: Colome, Bummer, Cishek, Fry, Herrera, Cordero, Hamilton, Burdi 

I really hope he steps into that role this year.  He was lights out at times last year.  Can he do it under a little more pressure in the 8th?  Let's hope.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Kopech will take Gonzalez out of the rotation whenever his service time has been sufficiently manipulated.

This is assuming Cease and Lopez don't implode. 

Edit: And yeah I'm pretty bearish on the pen.  I wanted 1 more high leverage arm.

At least we don't project to have any complete gas cans in the pen (assuming Herrera can bounce back some).  With plenty of interesting arms in the upper minors in Hamilton, Burdi, Johnson, Heuer, Ruiz and Foster as back stops - not to mention SP like Dunning, Lambert, Steiver, Rodon, Lopez and Gonzalez who could be used in relief roles to ease into action or due to change of roles.  

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At least we don't project to have any complete gas cans in the pen (assuming Herrera can bounce back some).  With plenty of interesting arms in the upper minors in Hamilton, Burdi, Johnson, Heuer, Ruiz and Foster as back stops - not to mention SP like Dunning, Lambert, Steiver, Rodon, Lopez and Gonzalez who could be used in relief roles to ease into action or due to change of roles.  

We definitely have some arms down there I think will be solid, just not sure when that will be.

Herrera, Cordero, Marshall, Fry, and Colome give me anxiety for a bunch of different reasons.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

We definitely have some arms down there I think will be solid, just not sure when that will be.

Herrera, Cordero, Marshall, Fry, and Colome give me anxiety for a bunch of different reasons.

I don't think there is a bullpen in baseball that is filled with guys that don't give their fans anxiety.  Sox pen isn't a major plus, but it should be average with upside.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

April:

Giolito, Keuchel, Gonzalez, Cease Lopez

July:

Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Lopez

And everyone of them produces more than 3 bWAR on 150 innings plus.  That would basically mean an 100 win team or thereabouts.  Sign me up please.  I'd give Don Cooper a lifetime contract!

More seriously if one of Kopech or Cease breaks out.  Look the fuck out AL Central.

• Like 1