Twins Sign Donaldson

DirtySox

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I guess with Sano moving to 1B, he is replacing Cron’s production from last year?

Based on 2019, he's definitely taking Cron's 500 PAs. But before this move, I think Sano and Marwin Gonzalez were going to start at the corners for them, so I guess I'd argue that he's taking PAs from Marwin now?

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

But that was never going to happen.  The Twins giving up talent and $250+ million for Arenado or Bryant?

Not saying they would resign either of those two but trading for 2 years of Bryant is doable for them, would have kept them in contention and be an all in move. Just saying they were going to get someone. Donaldson doesn’t move the needle much for me, they had a lot of career years last season and when it’s all said and done it comes down to pitching. If they have it or not is yet to be seen. 

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Man that's not even a bad deal for Minnie.  The old hope they get hurt or fall off strategy is not ideal.

I assume you meant “not realistic” but crazier things have happened.  Donaldson is 34 but this is a good deal for them because they can always move him to DH.

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Man that's not even a bad deal for Minnie.  The old hope they get hurt or fall off strategy is not ideal.

Meh....lets go battle, i would still take our roster over theirs as constructed for next season and the future moving forward. Our team is a night and day difference from last season and we have many young pitchers. The Sox will be just fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Not saying they would resign either of those two but trading for 2 years of Bryant is doable for them, would have kept them in contention and be an all in move. Just saying they were going to get someone. Donaldson doesn’t move the needle much for me, they had a lot of career years last season and when it’s all said and done it comes down to pitching. If they have it or not is yet to be seen. 

Bryant was worth 4.8 fWAR last year, Donaldson was worth 4.9 fWAR.  I think you are seriously underestimating Donaldson if he “doesn’t move the needle much for you.”  He is definitely not a player to lump in with guys who had fluky career years for the Twins last season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The twins had obvious holes in the rotation with a really solid base of position player talent. It's an odd allocation of resources and a poor one for a team that never spends.

Pitchers didn't want to go there. So they added to the offense to make it unstoppable. They will probably still trade for a good pitcher sometime this season. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The twins had obvious holes in the rotation with a really solid base of position player talent. It's an odd allocation of resources and a poor one for a team that never spends.

That team can absolutely rake, unless Donaldson and Cruz fall off of a cliff. 

I hate to say it, but I still think the Sox are the 3rd best team in the ALC on paper but it's close between the Sox and Indians. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Meh....lets go battle, i would still take our roster over theirs as constructed for next season and the future moving forward. Our team is a night and day difference from last season and we have many young pitchers. The Sox will be just fine.

The Twins are going to win our division by 8 to 10 games this year. I doubt our roster will be better prior to 2021. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Donaldson is 34 Bryant is 28. Bryant is more than likely able to return to MVP form. Give me the higher upside/younger guy

Bryant would only be a Twin for 1 or 2 years depending on the results of his grievance hearing.  Give me the star that plays for the Twins for 2+ less seasons than the other guy.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That team can absolutely rake, unless Donaldson and Cruz fall off of a cliff. 

I hate to say it, but I still think the Sox are the 3rd best team in the ALC on paper but it's close between the Sox and Indians. 

Or if Polanco reverts back, or Garver doesnt duplicate, or Kepler goes back to 20 HR Kepler. 

I am not sold on the collective career years of the Minnesota Twins last year. I think Cleveland is the team to beat and I think the Twins will be the most disappointing team in MLB this upcoming season.

Donaldson and Cruz are old guys who were banged up a lot in their career. One or both can't be counted on for full season. I don't buy the Power Surge 100% from Kepler and Polanco.

I could be way off and they could duplicate last year but I'm not betting on it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

This makes the Abreu deal look even worse, not that it needed any help looking bad.

How is a 3-yr/$50M deal for a 33-yr old player worse/riskier than a 4-yr/$92M deal for a 34-yr old player that has had a significant injury.   Please explain.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bubba P5 said:

How is a 3-yr/$50M deal for a 33-yr old player worse/riskier than a 4-yr/$92M deal for a 34-yr old player that has had a significant injury.   Please explain.  

The 34 year old a a better hitter and fielder than the 33 year old. 

19 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The 34 year old a a better hitter and fielder than the 33 year old. 

Yes but abreu will probably be moving to dh in the next year. Donaldson you have to hope to stay healthy to be the better fielder and not regress. Would not want to depend on Donaldson to be the hitter and fielder through that contract

• Thanks 1