Twins Sign Donaldson

DirtySox

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

So you would prefer they would have signed Cron to a one-year deal?

What happens if you then lose Robert and Moncada (which could go either way, but it certainly more likely with Robert and Abreu and Grandal in the fold now) when they're unwilling to sign extensions?

I just said what I would have done with Abreu in my last post.

I have yet to see proof that Robert wouldn’t have signed an extension if Abreu was only given the one year qualifying offer.

Moncada has not signed an extension yet so this is a moot point for now.  Besides, Abreu could be gone by the time Moncada does sign and extension, if and when he does.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I just said what I would have done with Abreu in my last post.

I have yet to see proof that Robert wouldn’t have signed an extension if Abreu was only given the one year qualifying offer.

Moncada has not signed an extension yet so this is a moot point for now.  Besides, Abreu could be gone by the time Moncada does sign and extension, if and when he does.

Logic says it has to be an important factor...otherwise, it wouldn't have happened in the order it did.   Robert and his agent would have approached the White Sox first, negotiated a deal...then Hahn/JR would have just awarded a three-year extension as a "gift" to Abreu.  That really makes less sense, doesn't it?

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Nothing will make the Abreu deal look better.  The Sox threw extra money at him when they didn’t need to.

Why are people comparing Donaldson to Abreu?  He is a better hitter and a better defender at 3B, not 1B!  Ridiculous comparison outside of their similar ages.

Not trying to compare Abreu to Donaldson. Donaldson is better, sure. 

Abreu is the team leader, mentor, etc. I want my team leader to be motivated and know that we want him around for the competitive years of the rebuild. This impacts other players around him that he mentors too. It’s more than just throwing money at him when we didn’t need to. It’s about creating a positive team culture, and they think Abreu is a big part of that, and without that you don’t win. A lot of you are under estimating how important this is especially with a young team. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Logic says it has to be an important factor...otherwise, it wouldn't have happened in the order it did.   Robert and his agent would have approached the White Sox first, negotiated a deal...then Hahn/JR would have just awarded a three-year extension as a "gift" to Abreu.  That really makes less sense, doesn't it?

This is absolutely terrible logic. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is absolutely terrible logic. 

Well, there's never going to be CONCLUSIVE evidence or proof of whatever you want to term it as linking Abreu and Robert.

At SOME point, Robert and his agent will publicly something complimentary towards Hahn and how the organization's treatment of Cuban players going back to Minnie Minoso, Jose Contreras and Alexei Ramirez, and how that was a key factor in both him signing originally and then inking an extension.

It's probably already out there.   Has anyone asked Robert directly if he would have wavered in his commitment to the organization with Abreu only being guaranteed one more year versus three?

Edited by caulfield12

If we are building a team capable of winning Division, League and WS titles we need to be good enough to win against good teams.  When we win the Central this year...we don't need to listen about how we didn't have to beat anyone.  The season just got more interesting.  Go Sox.

• Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Well, there's never going to be CONCLUSIVE evidence or proof of whatever you want to term it as linking Abreu and Robert.

At SOME point, Robert and his agent will publicly something complimentary towards Hahn and how the organization's treatment of Cuban players going back to Minnie Minoso, and how that was a key factor in both him signing originally and then inking an extension.

It's probably already out there.   Has anyone asked Robert directly if he would have wavered in his commitment to the organization with Abreu only being guaranteed one more year versus three?

It could certainly be true that Abreu was a contributing factor but the idea that Abreu's contract extension coming first is evidence for that is nonsense. They did Abreu's contract right around the qualifying offer deadline.

Donaldson can put up a year or a few years like he did in 2018 and we’ll all be glad they signed him. Second highest contract to someone his age. We’ll see. This is high risk and very un-Twin like. This might boost them this year if he stays healthy but this could hurt them big down the road and when we are at our peak. Here’s hoping and Go Sox!

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It could certainly be true that Abreu was a contributing factor but the idea that Abreu's contract extension coming first is evidence for that is nonsense. They did Abreu's contract right around the qualifying offer deadline.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-extension-white-sox

The evidence seems to suggest that the Grandal signing and Abreu extension were very closely aligned.

The Robert extension would be the "cherry on top of the whipped cream" in this scenario.

So we have two players that arguably were influenced to sign deals with the White Sox...with one correlated almost exactly with the timing of the Abreu qualifying offer being torn up.

How much is that worth to the franchise??

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-extension-white-sox

The evidence seems to suggest that the Grandal signing and Abreu extension were very closely aligned.

The Robert extension would be the "cherry on top of the whipped cream" in this scenario.

So we have two players that arguably were influenced to sign deals with the White Sox...with one correlated almost exactly with the timing of the Abreu qualifying offer being torn up.

How much is that worth to the franchise??

Why hasn’t Moncada signed an extension then?  Grandal is here and both Abreu and Robert were extended...

• Like 1

Their is no way of knowing what/ how much what factors goes into a player signing a contract unless the player publicly states it. So we are left with this speculation argument which can go around in a circle.

You can't correlate Moncada's decision with Grandel or Robert. All three are different people who could have different motives. One thing is clear Abreu has brought a strong Cuban influence in the clubhouse and does actively recruit for the White Sox. 

Additionally, It is my opinion that it is a good look to take care of your own players and show loyalty even if it cost you a few million dollars. I think 3/33 would have been a fair market deal. So we paid an extra 12 million dollars over 3 years to a player who has strong club house presence, actively recruits other players( whether this plays into their decision), and has been the face of the franchise during some tough times.  

To me this seems like small potatoes to gripe about. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Why hasn’t Moncada signed an extension then?  Grandal is here and both Abreu and Robert were extended...

Because he's asking for $150-175 million, lol...and our largest contract in team history is roughly half that.

And the fact Moncada (and Giolito) haven't backed up those stellar seasons (yet) in 2020.

Edited by caulfield12

money talks, even among countryman and teammates.   moncada's agent isn't going to give 80 cents on the dollar because he likes playing with Robert or Jose.

moncada is coming off a 5 war season at age 23 and has already made quite a bit.  he will be due a monster payday.  i'd be surprised if the sox can find it in them to pay him.  enjoy his next three years.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

money talks, even among countryman and teammates.   moncada's agent isn't going to give 80 cents on the dollar because he likes playing with Robert or Jose.

moncada is coming off a 5 war season at age 23 and has already made quite a bit.  he will be due a monster payday.  i'd be surprised if the sox can find it in them to pay him.  enjoy his next three years.

Agreed on all fronts. You can't keep them all. If Moncada keeps it up, he'll be playing for the Yankees in 4 years. 

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're trading him in 2023?

4 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This moves Sano to 1B too. He was a -6.7 UZR at 3B last season. Twins essentially locked up their 1B for 3yrs/$30M. That's a bargain for a guy who put up 34 HR's last season and is no longer is a liability in the field.

Yea their defense just got way better with this move. Sano still isn't very good, but you can get by with him at 1B. Hell, we're doing the same with Abreu currently.

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The twins had obvious holes in the rotation with a really solid base of position player talent. It's an odd allocation of resources and a poor one for a team that never spends.

Exactly, apparently their front office does not embrace the old adage that says "pitching wins championships".

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Can Garver, Polanco, Rosario, Kepler and Arraez keep it up?

That’s an awful lot of question marks for one lineup. Don’t get me wrong, I still think the Twins will mash but when you find yourself asking whether 5 different guys can repeat last year’s historically great performances, the answer is probably no. 

18 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

That’s an awful lot of question marks for one lineup. Don’t get me wrong, I still think the Twins will mash but when you find yourself asking whether 5 different guys can repeat last year’s historically great performances, the answer is probably no. 

Buxton could definitely have one year he really puts it all together, but there’s as much uncertainty there as with our pitching...

Edited by caulfield12