Twins Sign Donaldson

DirtySox

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Buxton could definitely have one year he really puts it all together, but there’s as much uncertainty there as with our pitching...

Absolutely. I just think that between the improvements that the Sox have made and the (presumed) health improvements from the Indians, the Twins should come back to earth a bit. Just for fun, I looked up the Twins projected record for 2019 and I saw win totals of anywhere from 81-87. They way outperformed their expectations last year. 

8 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Nothing will make the Abreu deal look better.  The Sox threw extra money at him when they didn’t need to.

Why are people comparing Donaldson to Abreu?  He is a better hitter and a better defender at 3B, not 1B!  Ridiculous comparison outside of their similar ages.

A least you make sense . It was Tom Pickle a few pages back that started the comparison saying it made Abreu's contract look worse. Of course others are defending Abreu.

Is JD a suspected PED user? His career didn't take off until he was 27. Usually if a player is great he's at least a good player

in his early 20's. If he is juicing, he could be productive for a long time to come. If he isn't he could blow up at any time. 4x23

is a lot of dough for a team like the Twins.

6 minutes ago, zisk said:

Is JD a suspected PED user? His career didn't take off until he was 27. Usually if a player is great he's at least a good player

in his early 20's. If he is juicing, he could be productive for a long time to come. If he isn't he could blow up at any time. 4x23

is a lot of dough for a team like the Twins.

No, he’s just good.

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Moncada = Donaldson     

Anderson > Polanco    

Madrigal/Leury < Arraez    That’s probably even, Arraez was 2.1.  One would hope for at least 2.5 out of Madrigal.

Abreu = Sano

Grandal > Garver

Robert > Buxton     Hard to say Robert will be better his rookie year than a healthy Buxton.   Even, until Robert proves himself at the big league level..

Eloy > Rosario    Not if you look at it in WAR terms.  Potential, sure, Jimenez wins. 

Encarnacion < Cruz

Mazara< Kepler

25 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Moncada = Donaldson

Anderson > Polanco

Madrigal/Leury < Arraez

Abreu = Sano

Grandal > Garver

Robert > Buxton

Eloy > Rosario

Encarnacion < Cruz

Mazara< Kepler

If Tim doesn't keep that .335 up he won't be better than Polanco. Robert is not better than Buxton, yet. And Abreu is not equal to Sano. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Maybe Kenny will bring back his old quote from when the Tigers acquired Miguel Cabrera...

This just puts the Twins a little closer to competing with the Sox for the division.

😂

You don’t have any right to say that after 12 years of missing the playoffs.  Why needlessly give the Twins more motivation to beat us?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

You don’t have any right to say that after 12 years of missing the playoffs.  Why needlessly give the Twins more motivation to beat us?

Just bringing back classic Kenny memories.  I’m sure he won’t be stupid enough to bring that quote back this time around.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Tim doesn't keep that. 335 up he won't be better than Polanco. Robert is not better than Buxton, yet. And Abreu is not equal to Sano. 

Sano has averaged 1.7 fWAR the last three years and has a new position.

Abreu is a team leader and also won’t do anything to embarrass the organization....I’d call it more or less even in terms of risk for 2020.

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Tim doesn't keep that .335 up he won't be better than Polanco. Robert is not better than Buxton, yet. And Abreu is not equal to Sano. 

Robert will be better than Buxton, and Sano has had like one season when he was better than Abreu.   Dude is one year removed from being sent down and finishing the season batting under the Mendoza line.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Buxton could definitely have one year he really puts it all together, but there’s as much uncertainty there as with our pitching...

That's the guy who is a wild card. I can see a couple of their guys regressing but him... he just oozes talent and still hasn't put it all together yet. If he does, that'll help offset the other guys down years. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sano has averaged 1.7 fWAR the last three years and has a new position.

Abreu is a team leader and also won’t do anything to embarrass the organization....I’d call it more or less even in terms of risk for 2020.

Sano is a first baseman now, so comparing their hitting, I'd give the edge to him. He was bad at third, but he will probably be better than Abreu at first. Being a team leader and not embarrassing the org helps, but how many wins can we place on that? How many can we take away? 

Edited by SonofaRoache

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Robert will be better than Buxton, and Sano has had like one season when he was better than Abreu.   Dude is one year removed from being sent down and finishing the season batting under the Mendoza line.   

True, but if we are talking about 2020, then 2019 has to have a significant role. Otherwise, we have to downgrade Andserson, Moncada, and Giolito. Robert may be better than Buxton, but Buxton was having a really good year last season before getting hurt. Robert isn't better until he proves first. I expect him to, but as of now he is not. 

44 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Moncada = Donaldson

Anderson > Polanco

Madrigal/Leury < Arraez

Abreu = Sano

Grandal > Garver

Robert > Buxton

Eloy > Rosario

Encarnacion < Cruz

Mazara< Kepler

Give me Moncada over Donaldson and Madrigal over Arraez. 

• Like 1