Twins Sign Donaldson

DirtySox

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'd rather they traded a couple top prospects for 2 years of Bryant.

It's pretty equal. The Twins don't have a large budget and by year 2, when they would have lost Bryant, this contract will be bad for them.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's pretty equal. The Twins don't have a large budget and by year 2, when they would have lost Bryant, this contract will be bad for them.

I think the Twins losing two good prospects for two seasons of Bryant would have been more ideal for the White Sox than the Twins signing an equivalent performer for money alone for four years.  We just have to hope Donaldson declines in his older age.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The guy is a 5 WAR player.  It was basically like them adding a Yasmani Grandal.  Were you excited about adding Grandal?

JD is old for a position player. YG is old for a catcher. Which deal is more likely to pay off?

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The guy is a 5 WAR player.  It was basically like them adding a Yasmani Grandal.  Were you excited about adding Grandal?

Yes, I wasn't acting like the Twins might as well not show up though...

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Yes, I wasn't saying the season wasn't acting like the Twins might as well not show up though...

I don’t agree with that but obviously it would’ve been much nicer for the Sox chances at the division if Donaldson signed with the Braves or Nationals.

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

You would think they just added 2001 Barry Bonds with the way a certain subset of White Sox twitter is acting. 

Personally I think this signing only helps the twins for a year or two. He has been injured most of his career. 

I also think the twins offense will take a step back. No way they lead the league in HR again.  

Should be a good fight till the end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

The Twins reddit board and Twitter is acting like they won the World Series or something.

It's interesting that he is referred to as the bringer of rings in the article Caulfield posted.   Squinting at his career trying to find the ring he won prior to this season

Two years ago people were asking if Donaldson's career was over. He had to take a pillow contract to hopefully get paid this time around.

Nothing that led people to be concerned about donaldson (age and health history) has changed from that question two years ago. 

Donaldson is an exciting and talented player who is really close to his career cliff. Maybe he is great next year, but I have a feeling this wont age well.

This move helps the Twins, no doubt.  They should enter the 2020 season as AL Central favorites.  But, I've watched too many teams in my lifetime with great offenses but questionable starting pitching to know that is not a formula for success.  Just like with the Sox, the Twins ultimate success will hinge on their no. 3-5 starters.

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We took a L last night, it is okay to feel salty right now. The Twins made a power move and will contend for at least the next two seasons. If we take care of our own business we will be okay in 2021 and moving forward. 

Lol you don't take an L when another team signs a player that you weren't competing for.   The Twins offense is better, the Sox as a whole became a lot better over the offseason.   

the Sox have 19 games with the twins, they need to take care of business in the other 143 and compete with the Twins when they play them.   This division is still wide open, I'm just as excited now as I was before Donaldson signed 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

This move helps the Twins, no doubt.  They should enter the 2020 season as AL Central favorites.  But, I've watched too many teams in my lifetime with great offenses but questionable starting pitching to know that is not a formula for success.  Just like with the Sox, the Twins ultimate success will hinge on their no. 3-5 starters.

Plus we don't know what the ball will be like. They had a great year, but maybe some of their guys had swings that were more conducive for the ball to stay in the air longer. 

If the ball goes back to normal and the rampant cheating stops, it's going to be an interesting season to see who falls off a cliff statistically. 

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

Plus we don't know what the ball will be like. They had a great year, but maybe some of their guys had swings that were more conducive for the ball to stay in the air longer. 

If the ball goes back to normal and the rampant cheating stops, it's going to be an interesting season to see who falls off a cliff statistically. 

The ball will also effect Sox hitters in the same way.  😐 

Donaldson is good.  He makes the Twins better in 2020.  He is also 34 years old, and the Twins will most likely be paying him $29M in 2023 in his age 37 season.  The backend of this deal is going to hurt them - likely quite a bit.  

Its a strange allocation of resources for the Twins, but frankly, at this juncture in the offseason he was the guy that made the most sense to the spend the money on.  There is no SP left worth paying. The Twins allowing it to get to this point is what is strange.  

This may be a bit of a kick in the balls to the Sox 2020 ALC chances, but this offseason was never about building a WS contender for 2020. Its about the beginning of a 6-7 year window, and this Donaldson move really does very little to negatively impact the White Sox long term outlook.  And if Donaldson is unable to stay healthy the next two seasons - the only two in which you can reasonably expect him to earn his money - this deal is really going to hurt the Twins.

Twins fan are excited.  And they should be.  Their previous forays into expensive free agents have pretty much all failed.  The most expensive position player free agent in franchise history prior to Donaldson was a 3/$24M deal to Jason fuckin' Castro.  So of course they're going to be excited. This move also improves their IF defense quite a bit by getting Sano off 3B, but I remain unconvinced that Donaldson is anything more than an average 3B at this point, though is 2019 defensive metrics were fairly strong.

Everything will be OK Sox fans.  Twins weren't just going to standby and make no moves in what is the tailend of their window.  85 wins isn't going to win this division, so let's go out and get 90 wins and see where the chips fall.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2