MLB Pipeline Prospects

Squirmin' for Yermin

I posted a topic yesterday.  MLB pipeline is releasing their top 10 at every position (updated) and they starting with RH starting pitchers yesterday.  Today they did LH Starting pitchers

1. Mackenzie Gore

2. Jesus Luzardo

3. Brenden McKay

4. Tarik Skubal

5. Nick Lodolo

6. Matthew Liberatore

7. AJ Puk

8. Daniel Lynch

9. Brailyn Marquez

10. DL Hall.

Man I don't get the infatuation with McKay... AT ALL.. I think he will just be MEH his entire career.. Also, Skubal (tigers) is filthy and may be their best prospect... Their staff is going to be very very good in the next year or two.

CATCHERS:

1. Adley Rutschman

2. Joey Bart

3. Sean Murphy

4. Luis Campusano

5. Francisco Alvarez

6. Shea Langeliers

7. Keibert Ruiz

8. Sam Huff

9. Dalton Varsho

10. Miguel Amaya

Man I have been a massive fan of Varsho... That dude can do everything.

No Collins, but Catchers are deep.  I'd assume he'd be in the 10-15 range.

I don't quite get why mlb is so high on vaughn. Vaughn is a good prospect but his mlb.com ranking must be mostly on his prospect pedigree. 

His first pro year was good but with an 832 ops not outstanding. That is ok for his first year but when I rank a right handed college 1b top20 ish overall I want to either see him absolutely destroy lower minors (1000+ ops) or ideally perform at upper majors.

If he rakes in AA next year I can justify a top20 ranking but for a lower minor only college guy imo the rank is a bit aggresive.

This is nothing against him as a prospect, he has the potential to be a plus first baseman in the majors, just saying I have not seen enough to rank him top30 yet.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't quite get why mlb is so high on vaughn. Vaughn is a good prospect but his mlb.com ranking must be mostly on his prospect pedigree. 

His first pro year was good but with an 832 ops not outstanding. That is ok for his first year but when I rank a right handed college 1b top20 ish overall I want to either see him absolutely destroy lower minors (1000+ ops) or ideally perform at upper majors.

If he rakes in AA next year I can justify a top20 ranking but for a lower minor only college guy imo the rank is a bit aggresive.

This is nothing against him as a prospect, he has the potential to be a plus first baseman in the majors, just saying I have not seen enough to rank him top30 yet.

You shouldn't ever be reading anything into stats of players the same year of their college season. He held his own and was fine. This ranking should have been expected. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 3:30 PM, Dominikk85 said:

I'm not holding it against him but before I rank a college first baseman top20 overall I would want to see a little more. 

I probably wouldn't rank a 1b below AA ball top30 overall unless he is either a young plus athlete (bellinger) or he flat out kills the ball. 

Vaughn's ranking is because he was heavily scouted and one of the best college hitters period. I would not put too much stock into his 2019 performance and would look for him to mash in 2020. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Vaughn's ranking is because he was heavily scouted and one of the best college hitters period. I would not put too much stock into his 2019 performance and would look for him to mash in 2020. 

Yeah definitely but I would wait for him to do that to rank him there.

Regarding evan white I'm not really a fan. Yeah he can play the OF but he is also almost 24 and an 840 ops at AA is not that inspiring by a 23 first baseman.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

BA released their top 100 today.  Anyone with access care to share?  

Sterling write-up on Luis Robert as the #2 overall prospect. Andrew Vaughn is #30, Michael Kopech is #33 and Nick Madrigal is #48. 

They gave Robert 70 grades for power, speed and defense as a 70 overall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

BA Grade: 70. Risk: Medium
Tool Grades: Hit: 55. Power: 70. Run: 70. Fielding: 60. Arm: 70.

Track Record: The White Sox signed Robert out of Cuba for $26 million, which busted well past their previous franchise high for an amateur player. After spending his first pro season in the Dominican Summer League, Robert spent an inconsistent 2018 in the U.S. He opened eyes in spring training but a torn thumb ligament days before the season meant his debut didn’t come until mid-June in the Rookie-level Arizona League. He re-injured the thumb with high Class A Winston-Salem later in the year, then dealt with nagging injuries in the Arizona Fall League as well. In all, Robert’s first full season as a pro was limited to just 68 games. After an offseason to get healthy, Robert spent all of 2019 showing the gifts that led the White Sox to make such a massive outlay for his services. He was one of just two players in the minors with 30 home runs and 30 stolen bases and displayed strong signs of being a true five-tool player once he reaches his peak.

Scouting Report: Robert is the most tooled-up player the White Sox have had in their system in years and boasts a body befitting of an NFL tight end. His rust and injuries in his first two years obscured his talent, which showed up box scores all season long. Robert’s pure hitting ability might be his weakest tool—which is saying something after he posted a .328 average across three levels—because of the swing-and-miss in his game. He will chase pitches out of the zone, and scouts have noticed that he has the tendency to commit a bit early on breaking balls designed to get hitters to chase. Internally, the White Sox that trait appears in part because pitchers have learned to stay away from the juicy parts of the strike zone, which leads Robert to get impatient and try to do damage on pitcher’s pitches. If pitchers do bring the ball in the zone, Robert can use his strong hands, muscular frame and elite bat speed to pummel pitches out to all parts of the park. That power was best displayed in 2019 on a home run in Birmingham that cleared the batter’s eye in center field. On defense, Robert uses near-elite speed to chase balls down to all four quadrants of center field. His arm is double-plus as well—he had seven outfield assists in 2019—which gives a weapon not present in the skill sets of most center fielders. While the Astros’ Kyle Tucker joined Robert in the 30-30 club, the White Sox’s top prospect is the first player since 2009 to finish a season with 30 home runs and 10 or more triples.

The Future: Robert is likely to follow the typical path of the young, big league-ready super-prospect. On a team that in 2019 featured a pitcher who finished in the top three in the Cy Young voting and another who won the batting title, Robert has the tools and skills to become a true face of the franchise.

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sterling write-up on Luis Robert as the #2 overall prospect. Andrew Vaughn is #30, Michael Kopech is #33 and Nick Madrigal is #48. 

They gave Robert 70 grades for power, speed and defense as a 70 overall. 

This is one thing I will always like better about BA than some other publications- such as FG. 

It's bad enough that no one ever gets an 80 grade, but if you're not even going to give out 70 grades either thrn what's the point of having tiers like that? It's stupid. I understand scouting errors on the side of caution, but stick your neck out there for guys you really like and slap some 70's on them.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is one thing I will always like better about BA than some other publications- such as FG. 

It's bad enough that no one ever gets an 80 grade, but if you're not even going to give out 70 grades either thrn what's the point of having tiers like that? It's stupid. I understand scouting errors on the side of caution, but stick your neck out there for guys you really like and slap some 70's on them.

70 individual tool grades or overall fv grade?

Fangraphs has given 70 fv grades but it is rare of course.