Ventura returns to OkSt as “student assistant”

caulfield12

20 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Virtually anyone with more than a passing interest in coaching baseball.  I remember reading stories at the time about how Ventura had to be convinced to take the Sox job by Kenny.

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20111006/sports/111009868/

Yeah, I'm sure one of the greatest college baseball players of all-time, a Major League All-Star 3B and a former major league manager is less qualified than a 5'6 190 pound liberal arts major. Good call. 

"OH MEE GOSH HE MANAGED MY FAVORITE TEAM IN A WAY I DIDN'T LIKE! SO HE CAN NEVER HAVE FUN WITH BASEBALL AGAIN!"

Losers.... Losers.... Losers

Edited by Richie

15 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

An actual grad student who wants to get his foot in the door in coaching? Just make Ventura a volunteer coach, why take a student assistant position away from someone?

So, if you need a job more than a guy that is more qualified than you. You should be given it? Hmm...

And you know that he's the only "student assistant" how?

People here are just sore at RV. I didn't like him as a manager either. But this is pathetic. Literally, like sitting in a bar room, listening to a bunch of fat ass drunk fans. The guy is having fun with baseball again, I would imagine. What an outrage... Fuckin losers. 

Just a bunch of losers. What did you do in baseball? b**** about it on a message board? You stink, guy

Edited by Richie

I think some just have to look at facts. Yes, he did have to be talked into taking the Sox managerial job, but......there were reasons. It wasn’t that he wanted nothing to do with baseball or that he didn’t think he had anything to offer. At the time, his kids were young he wanted to be around them. He was still involved with baseball calling some college games on ESPN and had a part time role working with White Sox minor leaguers.  He obviously wants to do this current thing, and I would bet knows far more about baseball than 99.999999999% of those thinking he knows very little.

6 hours ago, Richie said:

Yeah, I'm sure one of the greatest college baseball players of all-time, a Major League All-Star 3B and a former major league manager is less qualified than a 5'6 190 pound liberal arts major. Good call. 

"OH MEE GOSH HE MANAGED MY FAVORITE TEAM IN A WAY I DIDN'T LIKE! SO HE CAN NEVER HAVE FUN WITH BASEBALL AGAIN!"

Being a great player doesn’t automatically make someone a good manager.  Robin is the perfect example of this.  No one but the Sox were going to give him a manager job and he never received one again after his Sox tenure.  The proof is in the pudding, my friend.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

22 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I don't really have anything against Robin Ventura then or now.  But I will never understand why took a job he didn't want, or why it was offered to him in the first place.  I only hope future managerial hires don't go this way.

16 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Maybe you are right, but I looked at the hire as extremely important. The Guillen era was done. Whatever was left from the 2005 team was aging, and the franchise couldn't rest on past laurels anymore. The Ventura hire was interesting - for one day. Otherwise it made little sense.

Everyone took it on the chin in 2013. After the Sox got slaughtered by the Cubs, things only worsened. Board members were quoted in the Tribune as saying they just left everything to Jerry. And since Jerry wasn't talking publicly, the appearance was that no one cared the team was on its way to its worst season in 43 years, coming one loss short of 100. So far it is the beginning of a losing streak that has lasted seven seasons. I remember one pop up in between the mound and the plate and three Sox infielders converged only to let it fall in the grass about 10 feet in front of home. Ah, the memories.

I'm like most White Sox fans. I prefer to remember Ventura the third baseman, not Ventura the manager.

After the debacle that was 2011, Robin always felt like a sort of fan-service, polar opposite of Ozzie, look how smart this FO is kind of hire.  And it almost worked for a season.  But after the collapse of 2012, if the Sox manager were anyone other than beloved player turned not very good manager Robin Ventura, he would have been replaced.  Instead the FO gave Robin shit roster in 2013 and gave him no chance to succeed in the subsequent years by half-assed "retool" rebuilding.  And we all know how that turned out.

21 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

IMO - he drilled that team exceptionally hard on fundamentals and it showed as they were extremely fundamentally sound (Making correct throws, hitting cutoff man, rundowns, etc.) all year, with the exception of guys who weren't in their own training camp.

But, the team clearly wore down in September and hit a losing skid - this was almost entirely because their young pitchers had thrown so many more innings than the previous year, but Ventura interprets it as a reason to take it easy on the team in the spring of the next season so that they're fresher in September. The same players who had drilled so hard pre-2012 reached the 2013 season so out of practice that every ball on the ground turned into a clown show. 

By 2014, Ventura has a new extension and "Don't work them too hard" has become a motto for the entire coaching staff, up and down through the minors, and it was convenient because it meant the coaches didn't have to work that hard either. So when Abreu and Garcia clearly needed help in technique to keep themselves from getting hurt, or Marcus Semien needed to be drilled on basic footwork of a shortstop, the coaching staff did nothing but expect them to figure it out on their own.

Thanks for that take. I had never heard this before and it is a much better theory than "Ventura sucks," "He never wanted the job," etc. I think anyone 30+ has taken a job they did not necessarily want but convinced themselves it was the right thing at the time. I also think many well regarded people are smart enough to say "no" at first. There are so many success stories that start with a rejection only to be convinced later and it works out great. Ventura is not one of them, but it gets so tiresome to hear sometimes.

9 hours ago, Richie said:

9 hours ago, Richie said:

So, if you need a job more than a guy that is more qualified than you. You should be given it? Hmm...

And you know that he's the only "student assistant" how?

People here are just sore at RV. I didn't like him as a manager either. But this is pathetic. Literally, like sitting in a bar room, listening to a bunch of fat ass drunk fans. The guy is having fun with baseball again, I would imagine. What an outrage... Fuckin losers. 

Just a bunch of losers. What did you do in baseball? b**** about it on a message board? You stink, guy

Why are you so butthurt? Most of those grad student assistant jobs go to former college players looking to get into coaching and learn not to some old former player as a publicity stunt. He could have just been a volunteer coach and had the same effect.

And most only have one as you can see if you just looked at the coaching staff on the website instead of being a dick and making it personal.

https://okstate.com/sports/baseball/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

15 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why are you so butthurt? Most of those grad student assistant jobs go to former college players looking to get into coaching and learn not to some old former player as a publicity stunt. He could have just been a volunteer coach and had the same effect.

And most only have one as you can see if you just looked at the coaching staff on the website instead of being a dick and making it personal.

https://okstate.com/sports/baseball/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

Can you name some student NCAA baseball coaches that went on to accomplish much in coaching? It's a ceremonial position because he is going back to finish his degree. He isn't being paid. He isn't ruining anyone's future.

The guy is volunteering. He has some credibility. His title is student assistant because he is now a student, finishing up his degree.  Butthurt describes you.

Edited by Dick Allen

40 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Can you name some student NCAA baseball coaches that went on to accomplish much in coaching? It's a ceremonial position because he is going back to finish his degree. He isn't being paid. He isn't ruining anyone's future.

The guy is volunteering. He has some credibility. His title is student assistant because he is now a student, finishing up his degree.  Butthurt describes you.

How is anyone supposed to know that? lol

Not really sure how. I don't care for Ventura one way or the other but I don't agree with taking the opportunity away from someone else just because of who he is.

28 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

How is anyone supposed to know that? lol

Not really sure how. I don't care for Ventura one way or the other but I don't agree with taking the opportunity away from someone else just because of who he is.

Most college baseball teams do not have a student coach. This is a made up position. He isn't taking anyone's spot. I;m pretty sure if someone else wanted the job, they could have two. 

Edited by Dick Allen

Ventura is bringing more attention/focus to the program than hurting the coaching profession by taking someone’s so-called opportunity.

Undoubtedly, it wasn’t even his idea, probably the AD’s.

And maybe he ends up helping a player to the big leagues that a less experienced student coach would not impact similarly.  That could mean millions of future earnings to a family or two.