COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

All that sounds eerily like what the hospitals went through in Wuhan...except Italy should have had a sense of what was coming if anyone was paying attention to the news developing on an hourly basis here.

But it could easily be a word for word translation...doctors and nurses cutting off all their hair, the facial and head wounds from the mask straps, the never-ending shifts with adult diapers because PPE was so hard to supply/resupply those first 2-3 weeks.  Watching co-workers get ill right and left around you, fighting just because there was no alternative, even with people dying in the hallways all around...meanwhile, hundreds if not thousands of patients wandering around with loved ones in the cold and rain, unable to find a single hospital that would accept them...but shunned by communities deathly afraid of getting contaminated themselves should a potentially sick person enter.  Hundreds if not thousands of dogs and cats on the streets, as there was a rumor in the beginning they could easily transmit the virus.  

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

"Will people get sick yes, will a few die probably" is language you might want to rethink using if you don't want to make someone feel you're saying that it's ok if they die.

It is a fact that people will get sick. It is absolutely impossible to prevent everyone from getting sick. It is also an absolute fact that people will die. It cannot be prevented. That is not cold-hearted nor callous. It is a medical fact that it will happen no matter what anyone does. These are not my opinion. Ignoring the facts is the worst way to deal with these types of issues. How we can prevent as many of them from happening is the primary concern and paramount in any discussion.

If I said I didn't care about or that we shouldn't do anything to prevent it that would be different.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield said state and local public health labs are underequipped and understaffed.

"The truth is we've not invested, we've underinvested in the public health labs," Redfield said at a House Appropriations hearing for the 2021 CDC budget.

“There's not enough equipment, there's not enough people, there's not enough internal capacity, there's no surge capacity,” Redfield added.

Source: cnn.com

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

Has anyone heard if China is going to begin shipping again? Lot's of people aren't going to be able to get meds if not. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/26/coronavirus-raises-fears-us-drug-supply-disruptions/
Couldn’t find anything more recent.  

That said, Xi Jinping was here yesterday and there are rumors the airport could open...at least domestically...as early as Thursday.  So we’re on the cusp of getting QR Health Codes on our phones that will set Red, Yellow and Green levels for intra-Hubei Province travel.  

I know there’s quite a bit of drug production here...unfortunately, we also have one of the biggest fentanyl manufacturers in the world, as well. 

Edited by caulfield12

Again, I tend to think that putting areas on lockdown is probably inevitable. 

Good luck to everyone. 

Right now, I wouldn't be going anywhere except work/grocery shopping.

I've made that decision as of a couple hours ago.  Part of this decision is that I have a horrible nail biting habit, so I'm at higher risk of becoming a "carrier monkey" 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

It is a fact that people will get sick. It is absolutely impossible to prevent everyone from getting sick. It is also an absolute fact that people will die. It cannot be prevented. That is not cold-hearted nor callous. It is a medical fact that it will happen no matter what anyone does. These are not my opinion. Ignoring the facts is the worst way to deal with these types of issues. How we can prevent as many of them from happening is the primary concern and paramount in any discussion.

If I said I didn't care about or that we shouldn't do anything to prevent it that would be different.

I just read where the spread rate on this, the number of people an infected person passes it on to is between 2 and 2.5. With the flu it is 1.3, so close to double, and no vaccine. I work right above Union Station. I usually like to walk around down there or at least through the Great Hall to get lunch. There is no way I am going down there until this thing passes.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I just read where the spread rate on this, the number of people an infected person passes it on to is between 2 and 2.5. With the flu it is 1.3, so close to double, and no vaccine. I work right above Union Station. I usually like to walk around down there or at least through the Great Hall to get lunch. There is no way I am going down there until this thing passes.

I don't blame you. As it spreads avoiding large groups especially one where there is a positive result is probably the best way to keep it from spreading as much as possible. 

My wife's office I  ny closed when they found two cases in the building. 

In some countries, including China, the SARS outbreak in 2003 was a formative experience. For many it felt like a close call. Even if the number of victims was limited, the impact on the regional economy was severe, and everyone had to wonder: What if this happens again, with a more contagious virus? At peak shedding, scientists say, people with coronavirus are emitting more than 1,000 times more virus than was emitted during peak shedding of the SARS infection. The SARS virus sits deep in your lungs. The coronavirus is in your throat, ready to spread.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-clash-civilizations-175402475.html

• German Chancellor Angela Merkel told Parliament on Tuesday that 60% to 70% of the German population could contract the coronavirus.

• Merkel's dropping the figure at the outset of a parliamentary meeting left the room silent, according to a report from Bild, a German newspaper.

• Germany already has more than 1,400 confirmed cases of COVID-19, the disease resulting from the virus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/angela-merkel-just-estimated-60-184506028.html

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well someone who sits near me has it. Everyone is working from home the rest of the week and probably next.

Holy crap. Really Soxfan? Best wishes to you. Hope you don't get any symptoms. Keep us posted please.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Good luck. What a nightmare. 

I'm also supposed to go on a cruise soon that may no longer be happening. Not for fair of the virus but more the not wanting to possibly be quarantined on a ship for additional days/weeks.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm also supposed to go on a cruise soon that may no longer be happening. Not for fair of the virus but more the not wanting to possibly be quarantined on a ship for additional days/weeks.

It's the Cruise special. Buy 1 week, get 2 free. Use code corona.

Just my opinion, but the US government is acting way too damn slowly, both at the state and federal levels. The huge issue is there's not enough information about effective measures of containment, so everyone is going to let this thing get out of control before they take the action they should have already. 

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

In a way, I'm way more scared about what the world will look like on the other side of this than I am of the disease itself. 

Probably accurate. 

The consequences to the economy are going to be disastrous. I don't trust the US government to put a higher priority on the public safety than they do on the economy. Public health should be the number one concern, deal with the consequences later. But what do I know? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

seems like things hit a huge turning point in last day. 

It's growing too fast in certain places.

A lot of the social distancing going in our larger municipalities should help us slow the spread of coronavirus.