COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

It's growing too fast in certain places.

A lot of the social distancing going in our larger municipalities should help us slow the spread of coronavirus. 

There's not enough of it in larger metro areas that haven't been hit hard yet. Again, everyone is being reactive instead of proactive. 

I think it's ridiculous that people throw out the accusation of overreaction when governments are being proactive on this shit. People don't realize that the reason why some of the other dangerous bugs didn't get as bad was because of proactive measures. 

But hell, apparently suggesting to people to limit the number of people you come into contact with is inciting panic and fear, so whatever. 

The amount of people minimizing the risks on this board alone and citing any sort of concern as fearmongering and panic is part of the problem. There aren't enough people who understand the gravity of what's going on here. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

There's not enough of it in larger metro areas that haven't been hit hard yet. Again, everyone is being reactive instead of proactive. 

We'll see. Places like Seattle and New York seem to already be starting the climb. 

6 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

We'll see. Places like Seattle and New York seem to already be starting the climb. 

Yeah, because it already is bad there. 

Every other large city in the country should be looking  at what's going on in Seattle and NYC and doing whatever they're doing immediately. But no, that's an overreaction and panic. :rolleyes: 

Props to Mike deWine( Governor of Ohio)  for banning large crowds before there have been a large number of cases in his state. 

Pritzker is an idiot for not  banning large gatherings yet. 

It's also dumb that they haven't banned crowds at all sporting events yet. Should have been done days ago. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The Chinese Basketball Association is calling American players back and many of them are refusing. If reports from China are to believed (I'm really not sure if they can) they're probably better off there...

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

My niece attends Michigan State. They just went on line only until April 20th.

Just about everywhere eventually will. They all are starting to (U of I, Dayton, Purdue, Michigan,  Michigan State just off the top of my head have). Nobody wants to be the one school that tries to soldier through and get smashed with the virus. 

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Just about everywhere eventually will. They all are starting to (U of I, Dayton, Purdue, Michigan,  Michigan State just off the top of my head have). Nobody wants to be the one school that tries to soldier through and get smashed with the virus. 

Mizzou just did as well. Many of friends companies now officially wfh. All conferences have canceled. St Patrick’s day parade was canceled. My Church Is online next 3 weeks The idea that only the affected cities are doing anything is asinine. Didn’t even mention the NCAA tourney eliminating fans from live events.

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

There's no reason that anyone who has a job where you can work from home shouldn't be working from home (granted, that's my take coronavirus or no coronavirus so maybe a bit biased lol).

My company is saying the office is closed until Monday with the possibility of staying closed longer. Considering we have a someone confirmed in the office, I could see it going another week.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

(granted, that's my take coronavirus or no coronavirus so maybe a bit biased lol).

I'm a few days from being told to stay home, and all I know is I will make a concerted effort to be more productive so I never have to come back in again

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I'm a few days from being told to stay home, and all I know is I will make a concerted effort to be more productive so I never have to come back in again

A-fucking-men.

"Seeee how much I was able to get done not having to commute 2 and a half hours of my day?"

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

That’s the wild card in all of this. If an employer says “Everyone that can work from home should for the time being due to safety concerns...” when do you feel comfortable saying it’s safe to come back? How do you make that call. What if you give the all clear then someone gets it?  

We received the email at around 4:30 yesterday stating that someone had it and if we wanted to work from home the rest of the week, we can as long as we meet our deadlines and get work done. At around 9pm, we received an email stating the office is closed until next Monday, taking the option away from us. But they also threw in a sentence stating it might extend into next week.

I'm curious to see as well. I'll keep you and others posted.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

We received the email at around 4:30 yesterday stating that someone had it and if we wanted to work from home the rest of the week, we can as long as we meet our deadlines and get work done. At around 9pm, we received an email stating the office is closed until next Monday, taking the option away from us. But they also threw in a sentence stating it might extend into next week.

I'm curious to see as well. I'll keep you and others posted.

godspeed @soxfan2014

• Like 1

How this plays out with political rallies the next 3-4 months will be fascinating.

Eight months before the election, that will have huge/unforeseen consequences.   Candidates will have to adapt to live-streaming...social media and traditional forms of media (t.v., radio, newspaper) will receive more emphasis.

Uncharted waters.

With the massive cancellations around the country rolling in, the legal responsibilities for going ahead with them despite all the warnings...I’ll just go back to 1918 and the Spanish flu.  Philadelphia not cancelling public events for a couple of weeks and St. Louis being more proactive led to a differential of 12,000 vs. 1,800 deaths at that time.

Likewise, here in Wuhan, we witnessed the mayor giving the go-ahead for a 40000 attendee Chinese New Year’s celebration with 12000+ shared dishes (at circular tables where everyone takes food from the same pots) on January 18th, five days before the city lockdown. They wanted to present an image of economic vitality and set a world record...this was weeks after the national government in Beijing was notified of a SARs-like pneumonia spreading.   That decision alone will cost hundreds of thousands of lives across the globe.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but what do you guys think will happen in terms of Opening Day? My guess is that the Sox will play, there just won’t be any fans. But who knows at this point.

I would say there's almost zero chance you or I will be attending opening day. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just heard from one of my former Chinese students at Duke that all international students are being allowed to remain in dorms/on campus for the immediately foreseeable future.

Hoping that all US schools will adopt similar policies... 

Well... my sister was given 24 hours to leave campus yesterday.

Edited by mqr

53 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There's no reason that anyone who has a job where you can work from home shouldn't be working from home (granted, that's my take coronavirus or no coronavirus so maybe a bit biased lol).

My company is saying the office is closed until Monday with the possibility of staying closed longer. Considering we have a someone confirmed in the office, I could see it going another week.

I work from home two days a week and go into the office three days a week. I am in a remote office at a job I could do in my sleep but do for the time being to get a bonus and collect tuition reimbursement for the remainder of my master’s program.

I would prefer not to stay home all of the time. Even with political podcasts and sports radio on, it’s tough working from home every day and even gets lonely. I would much rather have a varied schedule for some sense of normalcy while I wait to finish my masters degree, wait until the end of July hits and leave.

Edit: I’ll probably keep riding the BNSF line until things start to get really bad.

Edited by The Beast

24 minutes ago, mqr said:

Well... my sister was given 24 hours to leave campus yesterday.

I’m assuming that policy is for American/US-based students....but yeah, the same thing happened here in China, unless you were still awake at 2:00 a.m. on morning of January 23rd, you would have had no clue that the entire province was going to be locked down at 10 a.m. the following morning for what will likely be at least two month’s duration.

44 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I work from home two days a week and go into the office three days a week. I am in a remote office at a job I could do in my sleep but do for the time being to get a bonus and collect tuition reimbursement for the remainder of my master’s program.

I would prefer not to stay home all of the time. Even with political podcasts and sports radio on, it’s tough working from home every day and even gets lonely. I would much rather have a varied schedule for some sense of normalcy while I wait to finish my masters degree, wait until the end of July hits and leave.

Edit: I’ll probably keep riding the BNSF line until things start to get really bad.

I do agree that it would get lonely. I have a cousin and friend who do it every day and I feel each goes stir crazy. Doing it twice a week would be great. Could make those my errand days when it is slower in the office. Or I can plan personal stuff better at least.

• Like 1