COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

30 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Do you have a laptop already so you would be able to work remotely if this happens? My office being shut down until the 30th now, we have a new temp starting but we don't know when as we don't know when he/she will be able to get a laptop.

And being someone who's been out of work as long as you, Jack, you absolutely need to go Monday if that is what they need. We're all pulling for you to succeed here.

I will. I'm just think it's asinine because their onboarding process takes 3 weeks and I'm not expecting them to be able to complete it before they go remote. 

I know why they're taking so long, it's because they have a lot of proprietary products that belong to their clients and they have to get the ok for people to take it home with them. It's an intellectual property issue. 

I worked there for 5 years before taking 2 off to explore other options. When I re-applied they called me within a few days. 

I'm going to be beyond frustrated if I have to go for 3-5 days and then they pull the plug.  

If they wanted their current employees to still come in, that would be understandable. Starting a 3 week onboarding process now just doesn't make much sense. If they told everyone that they were delaying onboarding I'd completely get it. It is what I was expecting to hear. 

Thanks for the sentiment. During my first stint at this company, I wasn't considering it as a career option like I am now. I was one of the first 15 employees the company had, and went through all of the growing pains associated with a start-up. As everyone knows, I have a BS in Chemical Engineering and have Asperger's. During my first stint, was using it as a placeholder until I could find something in my field. I allowed myself to make social decisions and mistakes in order to learn appropriate workplace behavior that I wouldn't have if I was considering it a career option. 

I took time off because by the time I had made those mistakes, I had built up a poor reputation. I asked for a hard reset for a while so I could come back with a fresh start. Now(of all times) I'm getting that opportunity. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Have to start work Monday downtown Chicago. There is no legit way for me to get there without taking the Metra.
I've been waiting 5 weeks to start this job, but like I said I have ppl that I live with that are at higher risk from this thing. I could drive, but then I have to pay downtown parking rates which I can't afford and I'm supposed to go 5 days a week for 3 weeks. How do I get this done without endangering my family?

I'm beyond shocked that they haven't gone remote yet. I wasn't expecting to have to start work until this whole thing blew over.

This is an IT company. I'm bringing my own keyboard and mouse, and will do all of my testing on my personal tablet and cell phone.

Beyond that, idk how to protect myself (and my family by proxy) while on the Metra. 

I don't have any new thoughts on how to protect yourself other than what the Doc's are saying on TV...but wanted to congratulate you on the new job.  You are one of the few getting some good news these days.

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't have any new thoughts on how to protect yourself other than what the Doc's are saying on TV...but wanted to congratulate you on the new job.  You are one of the few getting some good news these days.

Hoping like hell that they come to their senses and cancel onboarding by Sunday evening. 

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

I bet the court system is next.

Bk judges are suggesting continuances or asking for phone conferences. Jury trials may be suspended and I am sure many jurors are not showing. One judge said if people are coughing or sneezing he will send them home. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Ok- This is the first potential theory I could see for keeping tests low (basically to keep millions of people from running to get tested every time they have a cold).  This maybe forces people to be careful and only go in when symptoms are serious (vs. many who would panic and run in for a test).  

Should be limited to people with dry cough, fever or sore throat. Plenty of other bugs out there

PSA for anyone in the NW burbs: 

If you think you might have it, go here: 

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/suburban-hospital-starts-drive-thru-service-for-covid-19-testing/?fbclid=IwAR3rf90OdcXQuMchOd7Axyb_Sz0sCAX4JSyuwhcHHwjoDlbkrcNIbR_omxo

This has severely mitigated the burden on the healthcare system and the spread of the disease in South Korea. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Caulfield, the Big 12 has effectively eliminated all sports the rest of the school year. No college baseball, etc. MLB and NBA NHL on hold. My question to you is, now that China has told the world it has conquered the virus, do you foresee our teams playing again this season or ever? Again, how can MLB start playing on May 1? If the spread of the virus has slowed but is still out there (and people say it will be bad for something like 12 weeks then reappear in the fall) people will say the reason it is not so bad because we halted spectator sports and large gatherings? So I predict we will not have sports again until maybe the start of NFL and college football. What say you sir?

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ok- This is the first potential theory I could see for keeping tests low (basically to keep millions of people from running to get tested every time they have a cold).  This maybe forces people to be careful and only go in when symptoms are serious (vs. many who would panic and run in for a test).  

No the people who put this together are just idiots. Everyone who is sick should be tested, I don't care if it's just a cold. If handled correctly, people panicking and running in for a test will keep people alive. You need appropriate safety equipment among the first responders. 

The worst that happens is you find out you have a cold and you are happy with the result. If the test takes 8-48 hours, getting the results before people reach the worst part of the symptoms will save lives. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Caulfield, the Big 12 has effectively eliminated all sports the rest of the school year. No college baseball, etc. MLB and NBA NHL on hold. My question to you is, now that China has told the world it has conquered the virus, do you foresee our teams playing again this season or ever? Again, how can MLB start playing on May 1? If the spread of the virus has slowed but is still out there (and people say it will be bad for something like 12 weeks then reappear in the fall) people will say the reason it is not so bad because we halted spectator sports and large gatherings? So I predict we will not have sports again until maybe the start of NFL and college football. What say you sir?

We’re now at the 52nd day of lockdown in China.

Assuming the US situation will be somewhere between Italy and China, 60-75 days from now would be my guess or estimate.

That means ramping up in late May/early June and resuming season around June 10-15th with expanded rosters.

I think they are going to find out a lot of people had this month's prior and just thought they had a bad flu.

50 deaths so far, 19 are from 1 nursing home. Id bet that the nursing home was poorly run and that they were ill equipped for any illness.

Or at least that is what i hope when i think things will return to normal faster than expected.

20 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think they are going to find out a lot of people had this month's prior and just thought they had a bad flu.

50 deaths so far, 19 are from 1 nursing home. Id bet that the nursing home was poorly run and that they were ill equipped for any illness.

Or at least that is what i hope when i think things will return to normal faster than expected.

This for sure. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We’re now at the 52nd day of lockdown in China.

Assuming the US situation will be somewhere between Italy and China, 60-75 days from now would be my guess or estimate.

That means ramping up in late May/early June and resuming season around June 10-15th with expanded rosters.

I saw a video today of Chinese doctors and nurses walking in parade-like fashion removing their masks and smiling as if to say it's over. Caulfield I heard a rumor that Trump is likely going to SOON issue a mandatory 14 day lockdown for all Americans. Do you think this will happen here? Does anybody else? This was a federal judge telling somebody I know to be ready for this. It's supposed to be coming SOON. I'm not trying to be a dick, just asking you all if you believe it. It really worried me and I couldn't sleep last night after the person emailed me. I DID NOT load up on groceries today in response. And I am appalled at the hoarding of toilet paper in KC. It makes me so mad at people I could punch a wall. I am upset about me, me, me and greed of people in this crisis compared to the normal outpouring of love/sensibility when hurricanes strike!

25 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I saw a video today of Chinese doctors and nurses walking in parade-like fashion removing their masks and smiling as if to say it's over. Caulfield I heard a rumor that Trump is likely going to SOON issue a mandatory 14 day lockdown for all Americans. Do you think this will happen here? Does anybody else? This was a federal judge telling somebody I know to be ready for this. It's supposed to be coming SOON. I'm not trying to be a dick, just asking you all if you believe it. It really worried me and I couldn't sleep last night after the person emailed me. I DID NOT load up on groceries today in response. And I am appalled at the hoarding of toilet paper in KC. It makes me so mad at people I could punch a wall. I am upset about me, me, me and greed of people in this crisis compared to the normal outpouring of love/sensibility when hurricanes strike!

I don’t, at least not like here, much more like Italy, where groceries and pharmacies were kept open.  For two reasons, people living in individual houses vs. gated apartment communities, and the impossible logistics in a country as expansive as the US enforcing lockdown as well as delivering food to everyone, especially the most vulnerable groups.  Just our existing military and National Guards would come up woefully short compared to the size of the military here.

Here, they closed pharmacies deliberately to force people into hospitals or quarantine, prior to that, they were targeting people who were looking for medicine there, assuming they were hiding sickness.   

Also, they started giving financial rewards for community members to turn into authorities (or identify) them...not here in Wuhan, but smaller countryside cities where more people know each other.  I don’t think it will get that bad.

Finally, the ego of the executive branch won’t allow a “surrender” or failure like this in an election year...it’s not in his DNA.  That might change when/if he or his daughter become ill and it finally becomes real for him.

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well, cooler heads prevailed and they decided to go remote as of Monday. 

Will pick up when this thing is solved. 

Phew. 

My company is going remote starting Monday as well. Congrats on the new job👌 great to hear

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

59 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

My company is going remote starting Monday as well. Congrats on the new job👌 great to hear

Mine is doing half in half at home alternating days which is....the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever heard 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mqr said:

Mine is doing half in half at home alternating days which is....the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever heard 

Many  are doing that or if they are bigger splitting into 3 or 4 shifts so people are only in once or twice a week. 

Some dont have a choice. My wife's company was ordered by the mayor of New York to review all of their clients and let them know if they have income protection coverage and to what extent. He gave them 30 days. She said they have 15000 clients in New York city. 

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Many  are doing that or if they are bigger splitting into 3 or 4 shifts so people are only in once or twice a week. 

Some dont have a choice. My wife's company was ordered by the mayor of New York to review all of their clients and let them know if they have income protection coverage and to what extent. He gave them 30 days. She said they have 15000 clients in New York city. 

Our company is doing half in half wfh next week to test the system.  I am supposed to wfh Thursday and Friday. I would bet with the news constantly  changing if they have no issues on Monday and or Tuesday,  my extended wfh will start a few days sooner.