COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

40 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Hey caufiled does this guy's description of what China has actually done to get this under control sound right?

The decisions about quarantining people (and which ones, and when to let them return home) were not nearly so seamless as he’s making it out.  I totally disagreed with the concept of closing all pharmacies, tracking those going to get medicine (especially older people) and basically rounding them up and putting them into quarantine, paying reward money to report others who were sick.  Many people got red flagged by mobile phone QR codes...erroneously.   While everything was done in the name of caution and being overly careful, the Korean system is preferable, by far.    Even now, without a Chinese national ID card, I won’t be able to get the green pass code for my phone...since we have no consulate left, we have no idea what will happen if we take our passports to ride the subway.

11 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

If that NYT health reporter is correct about what the necessary measures are, this is absolutely the future we have to look forward to in less than two weeks:

I just don’t see that as feasible without being able to track EVERYONE through mobile phones (no burners, everyone here has to be tied by law to their national ID #).  There are only three service providers, all government controlled.  There’s also not a common communication app like WeChat here.   How many in the US even have a DL or passport?

Most importantly, we don’t have the surge capacity...the ratio of hospital beds to population in the US is much larger than South Korea, despite much higher spending overall on tech/diagnostic equipment. 

We also don’t have the logistics and food delivery (scooters/mopeds) system that are ubiquitous in every Chinese city.  The cost here is normally $0.75-$1.50 per delivery, with no tipping.  We don’t have neighborhood associations to distribute fruits, vegetables, rice, noodles, basic staples to seniors and poor children who receive free or reduced cost breakfast/lunch. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Welp, the youngins are listening to Richie. Old Town Chicago bars already packed celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.

Fucking idiots. All there is to say. Police should literally pick up each bar patron, flip them upside down and shake them, and take all the money to nearby parents and elderly who are bearing the brunt of this.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

If that NYT health reporter is correct about what the necessary measures are, this is absolutely the future we have to look forward to in less than two weeks:

I’ve seen nothing to indicate that Japan has introduced particularly strong interventions (school closings aside). 

25 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Oh right, that wording of mine isn't clear. If the nyt reporter is right about what measures are necessary to actually clamp down on this thing, there is no way we will or probably even can implement them. So we're looking at the same fate as Italy.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-news-live-uk-ban-083924455.html
Seems like UK is deliberately trying to follow in the footsteps of Italy...counting on this mysterious “herd immunity” to develop is a huge gamble.  People here have been getting sick a second time.   In theory, the second or third wave could be even worse, but it doesn’t matter if you’ve already overwhelmed your public health system.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-news-live-uk-ban-083924455.html
Seems like UK is deliberately trying to follow in the footsteps of Italy...counting on this mysterious “herd immunity” to develop is a huge gamble.  People here have been getting sick a second time.   In theory, the second or third wave could be even worse, but it doesn’t matter if you’ve already overwhelmed your public health system.

Caulfield how would you characterize how people in your community look at the origin of COVID-19? Do they follow the line of thinking that it came from the Wuhan seafood market?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Welp, the youngins are listening to Richie. Old Town Chicago bars already packed celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.

My gf tried to get a refund on the bar crawl and they refused. Said theyd only give a voucher for a future event.

Imagine a company with that little social awareness.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Caulfield, if you wanted to return to the USA could you? I assume you aren't working right now. Are you worried about any of this? Are you free to walk around and leave your place and shop?

Working online teaching...going into Week 6.

Two week quarantine.  At best, I’d get partial pay.  Since we are now 2-3 weeks from returning to school...and 40% of staff will face same quarantine coming back into China from UK, US, Thailand and Vietnam (maybe not for VTNM), it would be pretty foolhardy to leave now.   The airport isn’t reopened, not even sure I could get a train out to Shanghai or Guangzhou even if I wanted to in order to use those airports.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I’ve seen nothing to indicate that Japan has introduced particularly strong interventions (school closings aside). 

Japan jumped in with extremely intensive tracking of possible infected contacts and chains. There’s an example of them realizing they had a problem in one area with cab drivers being infected so they closed that transmission method down. The US, by its failures to recognize this and test for it early - has totally lost the ability to do so, even if we ever had the resources to do so.

3 hours ago, raBBit said:

Caulfield how would you characterize how people in your community look at the origin of COVID-19? Do they follow the line of thinking that it came from the Wuhan seafood market?

75% blame the wet market, wild animal trade...the rest blame the US or another country.  A few, the virology lab located here, but they logically point out that sabotaging their own country instead of dropping it into Des Moines or Chicago makes no sense.  Scientists would be able to track the genetic sequencing and have 99%+ certainty if it was man made or originated from bats with a secondary carrier like pangolins, snakes or civet cats.

There are a lot recently asking me why the US wasn’t better prepared or didn't seem to be taking it seriously.  Former students marooned on college campuses seem to be getting cared for because they can’t easily return to Hubei, and might experience an even more difficult or uncertain path return to US again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Similar story at DFW and other airports.  Can't imagine a better way to spread this virus from anyone infected on those planes back from Europe.

Dulles Too, basically every international Terminal with passengers from Europe. New York, Boston, Houston will all have this. Jesus Christ what the Hell did they do. They just massively multiplied this because foreigners are scary. My God.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Dulles Too, basically every international Terminal with passengers from Europe. New York, Boston, Houston will all have this. Jesus Christ what the Hell did they do. They just massively multiplied this because foreigners are scary. My God.

It was instructive that the president initially argued against testing because he was not coming from another country.

This xenophobic mindset of foreign “invaders” is seemingly impossible to escape once it has taken hold.

It just came to me that one huge advantage South Korea has had is geographic concentration...but, more specifically, that cult-like organization where they sit on floors within a few feet of each other like sardines in a can.  It would be like 50% of the Amish in America having the virus...they don’t interact so frequently with the rest of the population, so the cases are more likely to be contained simply by social circles kept.  Whereas European and American lifestyles are almost the exact opposite...seeking contact  and connection through an immense variety of socializing activities, and the propensity to travel far and wide with unfettered freedoms. 

Cnn.com    

About 80% of all coronavirus cases in South Korea are associated with cluster transmissions, according to the country’s Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

The country has reported 8,162 cases and 75 deaths.

Several clusters have been found around the country. The Shincheonji religious group, based in the southern city of Daegu, is the biggest cluster; 74% of all cases nationwide are from the city.

Nationally, 60% of all cases are linked to the group, said the KCDC release.

Officials identified another cluster at a call center in Seoul this week, which has led to 124 cases so far.

Another cluster is within the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, where 29 people have tested positive.

6 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

He realizes he's the governor?  Is this what counts as leadership from him?  Faux anger?  Maybe he should do something at the state level aside from talking to sports owners.  

You do know immigration at the airports is not a state thing don't you? 

Federal jurisdiction.