COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

People should read up about the Spanih Flu pandemic in 1918 and how Philadelphia decided to go through with a parade, and the consequences of that decision.  Probably a lot of hungover people today are going to regret what the did yesterday a week or two from now 

16 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Pritzker was on Meet the Press and said his team is exploring shutting down bars and restaurants after seeing how people totally ignored warnings yesterday.

It should have been done a week ago, but I digress. 

I mean, the enemy of people taking this seriously this is lack of information. I wasn't overly concerned until I asked my aunt who is a nurse about it. She said to do research and after that I realized shit was about to hit the fan. I went from a 1 on the alarm scale to a 6 or 7 almost immediately after doing research. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It should have been done a week ago, but I digress. 

I mean, the enemy of people taking this seriously this is lack of information. I wasn't overly concerned until I asked my aunt who is a nurse about it. She said to do research and after that I realized shit was about to hit the fan. I went from a 1 on the alarm scale to a 6 or 7 almost immediately after doing research. 

Consequently my wife, brother in law, sister in law and wife's best friend are all nurses and none of them are panicking. While they aren't taking this lightly, I think there is a middle ground here- be cautious but don't change your life entirely.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Consequently my wife, brother in law, sister in law and wife's best friend are all nurses and none of them are panicking. While they aren't taking this lightly, I think there is a middle ground here- be cautious but don't change your life entirely.

I don't know, Italy tried half measures, and now I think nurses there would tell a different story.

Edit: You're clearly right though, and our half measures are earlier in our outbreak, so maybe that could make a significant difference.

Edited by turnin' two

25 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't know, Italy tried half measures, and now I think nurses there would tell a different story.

Edit: You're clearly right though, and our half measures are earlier in our outbreak, so maybe that could make a significant difference.

There's a lot about Italy that isn't like here.

Not the least of which is Italy is about a decade older on average than the United States.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Ok, what did he accomplish by doing that?  No we know he's mad?  Cmon.  Its stupid.

It is necessary to call out the federal government for all of their failingsbecause they provide a different message everyday a d theouteight lies can and will cost livez.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

There's a lot about Italy that isn't like here.

Not the least of which is Italy is about a decade older on average than the United States.

Italy 45.5 vs. 38.1 for median age, life expectancy Italy 83.4 vs. 78.9 (USA).

But there are also 130 million Americans with underlying/undetected health issues and especially obesity...which leads to myriad health issues as we know.

Severely Overweight=US is in the top ten at 36%, Italy near the bottom at under 20%.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

But keep the election on as planned right?

I already voted. There won’t be nearly as many people in any polling place on Tuesday as there were trying to get home at the international terminal at OHare yesterday. The federal government didn’t respond until after midnight.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Italy 45.5 vs. 38.1 for median age, life expectancy Italy 83.4 vs. 78.9 (USA).

But there are also 130 million Americans with underlying/undetected health issues and especially obesity...which leads to myriad health issues as we know.

Severely Overweight=US is in the top ten at 36%, Italy near the bottom at under 20%.

Yeah, this is well literally, huge.  And we don't know the impact it could have.  

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

But keep the election on as planned right?

It’s a bit premature to worry about cancelling an election...Japan still has until late July to decide on the Olympics.

In reality, everything has changed in a heartbeat and will continue to do so.  Just three short weeks ago, Trump would have beaten Sanders fairly handily.  

Now the pendulum is swinging in the other direction, but it’s on BOTH sides to come up with inspiring/realistic/game-changing proposals on health care.   Like most elections, the economy at that time will be one of the deciding factors.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Cool, most people haven't.  Do you think that could be an issue for a highly contagious disease?

Not nearly as what Prizter was calling out the feds on last night which you seem to think he was out of line doing.

Plus with as many people working from home as there is now, chances are you won’t have the huge rushes at certain time periods you do as normal primaries, plus it’s a primary, a ton of voters sit those out.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s a bit premature to worry about cancelling an election...Japan still has until late July to decide on the Olympics.

In reality, everything has changed in a heartbeat and will continue to do so.  Just three short weeks ago, Trump would have beaten Sanders fairly handily.  

Now the pendulum is swinging in the other direction, but it’s on BOTH sides to come up with inspiring/realistic/game-changing proposals on health care.   Like most elections, the economy at that time will be one of the deciding factors.

There is a primary here on Tuesday. 

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Not nearly as what Prizter was calling out the feds on last night which you seem to think he was out of line doing.

Plus with as many people working from home as there is now, chances are you won’t have the huge rushes at certain time periods you do as normal primaries, plus it’s a primary, a ton of voters sit those out.

Its the manner in which he did it.  It isn't constructive.  Maybe "this is unacceptable, we need more customs agents to shorten this process and we need to be able to set up lines for the immuno-compromised, we also need a better process in place to screen those that may be infected".  But instead he just yelled at the sky, exactly like Trump would have.  The only purpose of that tweet was political pandering.

Edited by turnin' two

18 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Its the manner in which he did it.  It isn't constructive.  Maybe "this is unacceptable, we need more customs agents to shorten this process and we need to be able to set up lines for the immuno-compromised, we also need a better process in place to screen those that may be infected".  But instead he just yelled at the sky, exactly like Trump would have.  The only purpose of that tweet was political pandering.

No, I think it was to call out the administration who has a news conference every day telling us how perfectly they are and have been attacking this. they are trying to get the Dow back in line. They got it to go up a few days ago with all the huge tax cut phoniness, then they rolled out this new website that is going to be a godsend, that turned out to be something that is still in early development by a company that doesn't have 1,700 employees, forget the 1,700 engineers the administration says it has working on,  not meant to be what they claimed., They got to brag about how they set a stock market record on Friday, watch it go away this evening and tomorrow. 

We have been way too accepting of the lies as a nation. We have become too numb to them. This is a pandemic, spin and falsehoods don't work. 

Everyone knows a nurse or a doctor who says we are panicking, but isn't it better to err on the side of caution? Apparently people hate their grandparents and parents as many don't seem to care what this can do to them.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Had he just done that, they'd have just ignored him. They probably will anyway, but perhaps some people in the government might note the disaster they created. 

I am now convinced a lot of adults and children under 40 have the virus already and in more cases than we think never even knew it because it is so mild. Problem is the fact that is more mild than we think in many makes it more dangerous because how aggressive it can be on select individuals. 

I have no fact behind this but I am starting to buy more into the Uk approach and ultimately the best approach might be aggressively driving heard immunity while protecting / Isolating those with pre existing conditions. Use the heard immunity in the long run to wipe this thing out. 

No matter what I think that is the path this ultimately goes. It would have just been better if this happened after flu season because hospitals would naturally have improved capacity to handle this. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am now convinced a lot of adults and children under 40 have the virus already and in more cases than we think never even knew it because it is so mild. Problem is the fact that is more mild than we think in many makes it more dangerous because how aggressive it can be on select individuals. 

I have no fact behind this but I am starting to buy more into the Uk approach and ultimately the best approach might be aggressively driving heard immunity while protecting / Isolating those with pre existing conditions. Use the heard immunity in the long run to wipe this thing out. 

No matter what I think that is the path this ultimately goes. It would have just been better if this happened after flu season because hospitals would naturally have improved capacity to handle this. 

Welcome to the light.  I’d bet 50-100 million Americans have it right now.  

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Welcome to the light.  I’d bet 50-100 million Americans have it right now.  

No offense dude, but you are nuts if you think that many people have it right now.  Coronavirus is some serious shit and way too many people are still taking it too lightly, but at the same time conspiracy theories like this is part of the reason I can’t buy fucking baby wipes or toilet paper.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

"Herd immunity" = a lot of people die. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19 

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No offense dude, but you are nuts if you think that many people have it right now.  Coronavirus is some serious shit and way too many people are still taking it too lightly, but at the same time conspiracy theories like this is part of the reason I can’t buy fucking baby wipes or toilet paper.

Yep, me too. All of these fucking people in DuPage county must love to shit. I even tried calling to see when shipments of toilet paper are coming in and nobody had a good answer. The stores are empty.

• Love 1