COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Would shutdowns include local banks or is that considered essential?

Banks are considered essential. 

I have family in Italy, they said that Banks, Grocery Stores, and Pharmacies are the "essential services" at the very least that I know of. 

I'd imagine keeping the internet running is going to be a huge deal. What's going to be interesting is if our network infrastructure will be able to handle the increased load. 

For everyone's safety, I'd consider going cashless. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Banks are considered essential. 

I have family in Italy, they said that Banks, Grocery Stores, and Pharmacies are the "essential services" at the very least that I know of. 

I'd imagine keeping the internet running is going to be a huge deal. What's going to be interesting is if our network infrastructure will be able to handle the increased load. 

For everyone's safety, I'd consider going cashless. 

The internet load isn't going to change.  It is going to be redistributed from workplaces to homes.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The internet load isn't going to change.  It is going to be redistributed from workplaces to homes.

Fair point. There are going to be more nodes though. That slows things down due to interference rejection systems. (which makes sense why they're offering highest speed to everyone for free) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

My family is supposed to go on spring break to Florida on Friday. Driving to a remote-ish island off the panhandle to a beach house we rented for the week. Not sure what to do now. We can quarantine ourselves there, be around way, way, way less people, and also save the non-refundable money I paid for the rental. But we also have the chance of being stuck there if a true shutdown starts (which may not be bad, but would be expensive if we had to pay the going rate for the rental). 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm going to be using a vastly higher amount of data because all of my classes that normally required 0 data for me to present are turning into streamed videos. 

34 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

My family is supposed to go on spring break to Florida on Friday. Driving to a remote-ish island off the panhandle to a beach house we rented for the week. Not sure what to do now. We can quarantine ourselves there, be around way, way, way less people, and also save the non-refundable money I paid for the rental. But we also have the chance of being stuck there if a true shutdown starts (which may not be bad, but would be expensive if we had to pay the going rate for the rental). 

That's a complicated one. I guess I'd pack as though I was going, but then be ready on Thursday or Friday to pull the plug based on what the situation looks like, and make sure you bring as many essential supplies with you as possible if you do go? 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm going to be using a vastly higher amount of data because all of my classes that normally required 0 data for me to present are turning into streamed videos. 

Yes and video conferencing, streaming, etc will be massively larger. 

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I don't think you would be locked down from driving back to your home but also not sure if any gas stations would be open for your drive back.

28 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Yeah this is the crap we DON'T need right now. Unverified rumors. This just creates unnecessary panic. 

It's really not that tough to read between the lines -- we're going to go into a full quarantine in the next 10 days max, likely by weekend. Everything outside of essentials will be shut down. However these rushes to the grocery store and for water really aren't necessary. We're not going to be left without food to die. You'll be able to go to the store - but it will be regulated to how many people can enter a store at a time. Also this water craze is weird. We live wtih a clean water supply from lake Michigan. 

I also think the stock market is going to shut down relatively soon. 

Everybody just needs to do their part. There will be helicopter money distributed to families to help. There will likely be some sort of forgiveness or suspension of mortgages, etc. They aren't going to foreclose or put us on the streets. Just make sure you have an ample, but not overload of food if that makes you feel safe and secure. Buy some books or rent some on a kindle. And connect with your family. Most importantly take this time to build and form relationships. Find the positives in a bad time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

It's really not that tough to read between the lines -- we're going to go into a full quarantine in the next 10 days max, likely by weekend. Everything outside of essentials will be shut down. However these rushes to the grocery store and for water really aren't necessary. We're not going to be left without food to die. You'll be able to go to the store - but it will be regulated to how many people can enter a store at a time. Also this water craze is weird. We live wtih a clean water supply from lake Michigan. 

I also think the stock market is going to shut down relatively soon. 

Everybody just needs to do their part. There will be helicopter money distributed to families to help. There will likely be some sort of forgiveness or suspension of mortgages, etc. They aren't going to foreclose or put us on the streets. Just make sure you have an ample, but not overload of food if that makes you feel safe and secure. Buy some books or rent some on a kindle. And connect with your family. Most importantly take this time to build and form relationships. Find the positives in a bad time. 

Not until it's over.....then you're on your own. 

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Stay home.

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not until it's over.....then you're on your own. 

How about we stop this bull shit right now and worry about the present time and not start projecting this kind of shit

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

How about we stop this bull shit right now and worry about the present time and not start projecting this kind of shit

Exactly. Safety and health first. Both mentally and physically. find positives - build relationships that have been lacking. smile, read a book, find podcasts. enjoy the free time. there will be a lot of ripples ahead, but just float on the best we can. life isn't half bad - and be thankful we have pretty darned good lives compared to most. our worst is still better than a lot of people's best. peace, love, and understanding. money is money is money. it's all fake and made up anyways. relationships and experiences are what you'll care about when you're old and dying. 

Taking a step back, this a surreal time to be living.  It kind of reminds me of going through 9/11 where part of you is thinking "This can't be real", while another part of you is taking it all in.  We are living through a time where the world will never be the same again afterwards.  Even if this ends up being overblown (which I don't believe), things will come out of this to change things forever.  This is something we will be telling our kids and grandkids about.  It is 1918 Spanish Flu, but in a technological world.  It is incredible.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Taking a step back, this a surreal time to be living.  It kind of reminds me of going through 9/11 where part of you is thinking "This can't be real", while another part of you is taking it all in.  We are living through a time where the world will never be the same again afterwards.  Even if this ends up being overblown (which I don't believe), things will come out of this to change things forever.  This is something we will be telling our kids and grandkids about.  It is 1918 Spanish Flu, but in a technological world.  It is incredible.

My panic subsided about a week ago and I've just since been consumed with morbid fascination. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

edit: I'm going to delete this, apparently the data sucked too much to draw conclusions from 1918.

• Haha 1