COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

I’m glad that local government here in Illinois is trying to be overtly cautious in regards to Covid-19.

I read last night that Trump tried to buy exclusive right to a potential vaccine that’s being developed by German scientist. Exclusive as in it will be used for Americans only. He’s going to get us all killed. 

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Welcome to the light.  I’d bet 50-100 million Americans have it right now.  

While this number seem a bit high, Donovan Mitchell, the Jazz player who tested positive, said today that he had been fine and is experiencing no symptoms at all.  It makes you wonder how many others could be in this same boat, it also shows how dangerous it can be for the vulnerable, as people that have the virus may not be showing any symptoms at all.

Just now, turnin' two said:

While this number seem a bit high, Donovan Mitchell, the Jazz player who tested positive, said today that he had been fine and is experiencing no symptoms at all.  It makes you wonder how many others could be in this same boat, it also shows how dangerous it can be for the vulnerable, as people that have the virus may not be showing any symptoms at all.

This is why I made the statement I did.  The good and bad of it is...the vast majority of the populate might be like Donovan (which is good in the sense that symptoms are minor and those individuals will not even need any medical assistance)...the bad is...they literally don't even know they are sick and thus they can infect those who do have impaired immuned systems (and if a much larger chunk of the population is already carrying it...than it means things are even more risky for those at risk).    

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is why I made the statement I did.  The good and bad of it is...the vast majority of the populate might be like Donovan (which is good in the sense that symptoms are minor and those individuals will not even need any medical assistance)...the bad is...they literally don't even know they are sick and thus they can infect those who do have impaired immuned systems (and if a much larger chunk of the population is already carrying it...than it means things are even more risky for those at risk).    

If we already had hundreds of thousands infected, we would see it in the emergency room admissions, and it's almost impossible to somehow cover that up when everyone going into those spots has a cell phone.

After last weekend, I could believe the infections right now just went from some thousands to tens of thousands nationwide, and that those new infections will show up as a surge in hospital visits later this week. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If we already had hundreds of thousands infected, we would see it in the emergency room admissions, and it's almost impossible to somehow cover that up when everyone going into those spots has a cell phone.

After last weekend, I could believe the infections right now just went from some thousands to tens of thousands nationwide, and that those new infections will show up as a surge in hospital visits later this week. 

That isnt necessarily the case. My mother was extremely ill around the end of January. For 3 days she was sicker than she had ever been. She never went to the doctor in person, the doctor said that she had the flu and just to stay home. She later developed a severe cough that lasted for over 3 weeks, she recently called the doctor and again was told to stay at home and he prescribed her medicine for a potential sinus infection.

Unless she was to be tested for COVID, there is simply no way of knowing what she had. Most Americans with flu symptoms dont go to hospitals or to their doctor. So there is no way to tell if ER admissions are up. The mere fact people are aware of COVID could cause the spike in ER/hospital admissions.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Indiana health department is estimating ~60k infections, Ohio was saying ~100k.

Nice to see some brains popping up in here trying to think it out.  Definitely some inconsistencies that make you wonder

Edit. i think we should start the timeline at the beginning on here and figure out how long the virus was flying around the world BEFORE China closed down.   Wonderful place to start

Edited by Jerksticks

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Nice to see some brains popping up in here trying to think it out.  Definitely some inconsistencies that make you wonder

Edit. i think we should start the timeline at the beginning on here and figure out how long the virus was flying around the world BEFORE China closed down.   Wonderful place to start

The current belief it Patient Zero for this was around November 17

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-patients-zero-contracted-case-november-2020-3

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

That isnt necessarily the case. My mother was extremely ill around the end of January. For 3 days she was sicker than she had ever been. She never went to the doctor in person, the doctor said that she had the flu and just to stay home. She later developed a severe cough that lasted for over 3 weeks, she recently called the doctor and again was told to stay at home and he prescribed her medicine for a potential sinus infection.

Unless she was to be tested for COVID, there is simply no way of knowing what she had. Most Americans with flu symptoms dont go to hospitals or to their doctor. So there is no way to tell if ER admissions are up. The mere fact people are aware of COVID could cause the spike in ER/hospital admissions.

This is very true.  There have been so many reports of people being upset that they can't get a test, and in many cases it makes no sense.  There isn't a treatment, so unless you have the extreme symptoms or are in a vulnerable demographic, just act like you have the flu.  it doesn't particularly matter if you have it or not.   Control your temperature, drink fluids, get rest, and for goodness sakes, stay away from other people.  

I saw a story about a lady freaking out because her otherwise healthy teenage daughter had a cough and a fever of 100.5 and she couldn't get a COVID test.  People need to keep their heads and think rationally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

This is very true.  There have been so many reports of people being upset that they can't get a test, and in many cases it makes no sense.  There isn't a treatment, so unless you have the extreme symptoms or are in a vulnerable demographic, just act like you have the flu.  it doesn't particularly matter if you have it or not.   Control your temperature, drink fluids, get rest, and for goodness sakes, stay away from other people.  

I saw a story about a lady freaking out because her otherwise healthy teenage daughter had a cough and a fever of 100.5 and she couldn't get a COVID test.  People need to keep their heads and think rationally.

Shhhhh.  Dude you are about to get social-justiced the eff outa here for even saying that slander 😂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The current belief it Patient Zero for this was around November 17

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-patients-zero-contracted-case-november-2020-3

Cualfield linked to a great article and could fill in some details.

But isn’t it safe to assume that for close to TWO months, non-stop international flights in and out of Wuhan?  

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

The problem is many people are unable to just disappear for two weeks at best or are too stupid to at worst without some confirmation. 

36 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Right around Feb 1 , I got the worst cough I have ever had, and had a fever for a couple of days. I still have a little cough. I take a bus to work in the morning. You wouldn't believe the nasty looks I get if I have even the smallest cough now. My wife is convinced I had it, but I don't think so.

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Right around Feb 1 , I got the worst cough I have ever had, and had a fever for a couple of days. I still have a little cough. I take a bus to work in the morning. You wouldn't believe the nasty looks I get if I have even the smallest cough now. My wife is convinced I had it, but I don't think so.

Its hard to tell because the information we have is so limited and because the normal American response this type of illness is to stay at home. Unless we can test everyone there is always going to be a lot of guessing.

It also makes me wonder if other years there were something similar to this, but we just chalked them up to "bad flu season" because none of us were ever looking for it.

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its hard to tell because the information we have is so limited and because the normal American response this type of illness is to stay at home. Unless we can test everyone there is always going to be a lot of guessing.

It also makes me wonder if other years there were something similar to this, but we just chalked them up to "bad flu season" because none of us were ever looking for it.

Biologists are pretty excellent at piecing this stuff together, at least over our lifetimes where DNA equipment has been available. 

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

There is absolutely a way to know if ER admissions are reflecting hundreds of thousands of people being sick, because hospitals would run out of beds. Whether the rate of hospitalization is 10% or 15% doesn't matter - it's large and people who require hospitalization are there for weeks. If people are showing up and they're not severe cases, they're being sent home. 

You shouldn't be going to a hospital with flu-like symptoms, but this virus is killing elderly people by causing severe respiratory distress. In other words, people literally cannot breathe in the severe cases, and lungs giving up winds up being a major cause  of death. You cannot just recover from not being able to breathe by having a bowl of chicken soup.

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would say it is entirely plausible that you did have it, but unlikely. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is absolutely a way to know if ER admissions are reflecting hundreds of thousands of people being sick, because hospitals would run out of beds. Whether the rate of hospitalization is 10% or 15% doesn't matter - it's large and people who require hospitalization are there for weeks. If people are showing up and they're not severe cases, they're being sent home. 

You shouldn't be going to a hospital with flu-like symptoms, but this virus is killing elderly people by causing severe respiratory distress. In other words, people literally cannot breathe in the severe cases, and lungs giving up winds up being a major cause  of death. You cannot just recover from not being able to breathe by having a bowl of chicken soup.

I just dont believe we have enough research to confidently conclude that 10-15% of the US population will require hospitalization and need to be there for weeks. Maybe at the end we will, but right now there is a disconnect between certain facts we are being presented. If for example Ohio has 100k current cases and even using 5% rate, you are talking 5,000 people in hospitals for weeks with it. As of now, I have not heard of this happening.

And the last part of your post makes no sense. If you arent going to the hospital for flu symptoms, how can you be going for COVID symptoms. In my moms case she didnt leave bed for 3 days, had a fever, cough, shortness of breath and is over 70 years old. That is the exact person who should be getting looked at. But in January of this year, no one in the US was looking for it at all. 

I have two thoughts, one is a positive one is negative.

1) I think the virus, for most healthy people, is about as impactful as a cold.  Maybe less.  So let's hope that's the case and that we are much deeper into this spread (by a few weeks) than we think and are already close to the peak of the infection curve.

2) As a SB owner I'm completely in the dark right now.  I can't tell folks if I will be open tmr.  There is no guidance.  Our governor Inslee is MIA this week.  Cali is closing all "non essenttial" businesses.  So is Washington?  If so, when?  What can I tell my clients.

It's so frustrating to be led by a completely inept federal government.  This is what folks in the Soviet Union dealt with for decades and still are.

It wears on you.