COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Senator Burr did a twitter thread attacking NPR for their reporting and saying that the briefing was more open to the public. During that thread...never once mentioned the stock sale. 

He's also the clown who wanted to tax college scholarships for athletes. 

The New York Post is right. Too much alarmism. Americans are going to eventually rebel. I have been pointing out the economic impact of all this should not be denied as well as mental health of Americans like me who have a problem being cooped up. God help us all.

Post says:

As Americans prepare for “a lot of change to their lives for a long time,” New York’s Josh Barro believes, “part of the coronavirus conventional wisdom has become too pessimistic.” While we will be fighting the virus ­“unless, and until, we develop a vaccine or highly effective medical treatments,” the “nature of the disruption does not have to stay constant”: A testing surge “should, in time, allow for more normal living,” something we have seen in other countries. That’s good news, as is the fact “effective antiviral treatments” may be “available much sooner than a vaccine.” The “economic, social and psychological effects of extended, societywide isolation measures are going to be severe” — and the public might quit complying. “Extensive testing, monitoring and isolation related to specific coronavirus cases” would “be much less painful and disruptive.”

Yes Greg, nobody else has noticed this economic impact nor the adverse effects of staying at home.  Everyone is an alarmist who wants to make sure they both aren't spreading the virus as an asymptomatic carrier or doesn't want to catch it.   Shame on them.  Everyone go out 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The New York Post is right. Too much alarmism. Americans are going to eventually rebel. I have been pointing out the economic impact of all this should not be denied as well as mental health of Americans like me who have a problem being cooped up. God help us all.

Post says:

As Americans prepare for “a lot of change to their lives for a long time,” New York’s Josh Barro believes, “part of the coronavirus conventional wisdom has become too pessimistic.” While we will be fighting the virus ­“unless, and until, we develop a vaccine or highly effective medical treatments,” the “nature of the disruption does not have to stay constant”: A testing surge “should, in time, allow for more normal living,” something we have seen in other countries. That’s good news, as is the fact “effective antiviral treatments” may be “available much sooner than a vaccine.” The “economic, social and psychological effects of extended, societywide isolation measures are going to be severe” — and the public might quit complying. “Extensive testing, monitoring and isolation related to specific coronavirus cases” would “be much less painful and disruptive.”

While all of this may be true, it does not make what is happening in Italy (and elsewhere around the world) any less real.  

We have been in "social distancing" for what, a week for most of us?   We all need to suck it up and realize that if we ignore what is happening you could likely kill people.  Yeah, you may be fine, but you could easily transmit the disease to someone else.  

Edited by turnin' two

24 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

While all of this may be true, it does not make what is happening in Italy (and elsewhere around the world) any less real.  

We have been in "social distancing" for what, a week for most of us?   We all need to suck it up and realize that if we ignore what is happening you could likely kill people.  Yeah, you may be fine, but you could easily transmit the disease to someone else.  

I think greg's interpretation of barro's post is bad anyway. His point was there needs to be planning for the post-shut it down world. Testing capabilities is the way out of that. This is just to buy us time, it is not a solution. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2020/03/20/sen-ron-johnson-defends-pacur-sale-amid-insider-trading-accusations/2882248001/
Sen. Johnson situation looks unseemly in terms of timing but not quite the level of egregiousness.   Just suspicious timing.

I don't really think Johnson or Feinstein's seem related to the coronavirus briefings. Honestly even Purdue...

Burr/Loeffler are the ones I think are legit issues with privileged trading.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't really think Johnson or Feinstein's seem related to the coronavirus briefings. Honestly even Purdue...

Burr/Loeffler are the ones I think are legit issues with privileged trading.

Saw a good twitter thread on this, whether I believe all of it I'm not informed enough to know all the details on this. Burr and Loeffler are the ones who seem to have done it quite obviously.

16 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I really hope they are smart enough to keep food places open for delivery and take out. 

I'll be honest, I'm high risk, so I'm terrified to even order a pizza right now, at least until there are enough tests out there that I can believe no one there is ill. Right now I know for a fact they're only able to test people who have recent travel, so there are hundreds of people at my school alone who should have been tested but won't be. 

So, if you want people like me to spend money on anything other than milk..."Test test test test test". 

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'll be honest, I'm high risk, so I'm terrified to even order a pizza right now, at least until there are enough tests out there that I can believe no one there is ill. Right now I know for a fact they're only able to test people who have recent travel, so there are hundreds of people at my school alone who should have been tested but won't be. 

So, if you want people like me to spend money on anything other than milk..."Test test test test test". 

Are they sending out some type of proof of the health care status/temperature checks on food and delivery service employees like in some parts of Asia...? 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Are they sending out some type of proof of the health care status/temperature checks on food and delivery service employees like in some parts of Asia...? 

Certainly not here. We had good sized crowds at the bars on Tuesday for St. Patrick's Day (I did not go, the news did). 

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then you dont need to order food. No no one is suggesting that you be forced to take out or delivery. But youre taking a risk when you to the store as well. We have to have some sort of ability to determine or own risks. 

Im no scientist, but Id guess there is less risk getting food delivered from 1 person who you dont touch, then going to a store where there are 25-50 people and who are frequented by hundreds.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Then you dont need to order food. No no one is suggesting that you be forced to take out or delivery. But youre taking a risk when you to the store as well. We have to have some sort of ability to determine or own risks. 

Im no scientist, but Id guess there is less risk getting food delivered from 1 person who you dont touch, then going to a store where there are 25-50 people and who are frequented by hundreds.

I haven't yet figured out how to safely "Groceries" but I went nuts 2 weekends ago and spent 4x my normal amount because I knew that would be my worry. I'll run out of milk in about 3-4 days and fresh stuff a few days after that, I'm hoping in another week we at least have a better handle on the severity in this region?

I'll probably attempt a delivery service, but I honestly don't know.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I haven't yet figured out how to safely "Groceries" but I went nuts 2 weekends ago and spent 4x my normal amount because I knew that would be my worry. I'll run out of milk in about 3-4 days and fresh stuff a few days after that, I'm hoping in another week we at least have a better handle on the severity in this region?

I'll probably attempt a delivery service, but I honestly don't know.

There really isnt a safe way. I have been wearing my gloves when I go to Target/Jewel etc. I know that doesnt solve the problem, but it makes me cognizant of not touching my face. When I get home I try and leave my jacket etc near the door and then wash my hands. I also try and stay a safe distance from people. 

Again none of these are great or permanent solutions. We were planning to order food tonight to help local restaurants out.

I also left a message for the person who cuts my hair that if they call me Ill pay for my haircut even if I cant come in. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

There really isnt a safe way. I have been wearing my gloves when I go to Target/Jewel etc. I know that doesnt solve the problem, but it makes me cognizant of not touching my face. When I get home I try and leave my jacket etc near the door and then wash my hands. I also try and stay a safe distance from people. 

Again none of these are great or permanent solutions. We were planning to order food tonight to help local restaurants out.

I also left a message for the person who cuts my hair that if they call me Ill pay for my haircut even if I cant come in. 

We need tests so badly. That's it, that's the post. 

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

So here is what I fear. I think by the end of next week, the tone from many American's may change and there will be demand for an end date or light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think that true end date will be possible to predict.  I want to make clear I'm not part of that group and I fully understand we have to do what we have to right now to end this thing. But too many people aren't going to share those feelings, and start taking a "Whatever happens, happens" attitude, and this thing doesn't go away, we don't stop the curve. 

Even with extreme measures of total lockdowns, direct food deliveries, massive testing, arrests/prison sentences, 10-14 day emergency hospital constructions....ten full weeks to get through.

The area locked down here similar in size to California.

Dow down 19% on the week, worst numbers since 1987 for a single week of trading.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We need tests so badly. That's it, that's the post. 

I cant make tests, I cant make there be more tests. The only thing I can do is try to do my little part. And the hope is that if we all do our own little part that we can overcome whatever shortcomings there may be.

In the worst times, we each have to lead by example. Its not a perfect solution, its not even the best solution, but its what we have today. We have to stay optimistic, we have to do our best and we have to prepare for the worst. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I cant make tests, I cant make there be more tests. The only thing I can do is try to do my little part. And the hope is that if we all do our own little part that we can overcome whatever shortcomings there may be.

In the worst times, we each have to lead by example. Its not a perfect solution, its not even the best solution, but its what we have today. We have to stay optimistic, we have to do our best and we have to prepare for the worst. 

Right now, respirators/ventilators/bed spaces remaining/ICU admissions....those are the key indicators, test results are kind of meaningless except for new areas without prior infections, which should theoretically have been preempted with surveillance testing to find canaries in coal mines.

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

So here is what I fear. I think by the end of next week, the tone from many American's may change and there will be demand for an end date or light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think that true end date will be possible to predict.  I want to make clear I'm not part of that group and I fully understand we have to do what we have to right now to end this thing. But too many people aren't going to share those feelings, and start taking a "Whatever happens, happens" attitude, and this thing doesn't go away, we don't stop the curve. 

Laura Ingraham literally tweeted today that she wants an end date.  We aren't dealing with rational thought 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Right now, respirators/ventilators/bed spaces remaining/ICU admissions....those are the key indicators, test results are kind of meaningless except for new areas without prior infections, which should theoretically have been preempted with surveillance testing to find canaries in coal mines.

The only usefulness for tests is to 1) quarantine people who are infected and 2) identify those who have had it and are potentially now able to work safely and not catch it again.

Otherwise testing numbers are just numbers.