COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

That big Imperial College study in the UK that finally got them to abandon their herd immunity "plan" had an outline of what they expect. Roughly eighteen months until vaccines are widely available. Waves of shelter in place interspersed with periods of relaxed restrictions until infections pop up locally or regionally again.

How sustainable that really is, how well it'll would really adhere to that until the fall of 2021, is a big question mark obviously.

The alternative is accepting mass death across most ages but skewed towards the elderly.

Edit: hopefully the initial indications of success with hcq treatments holds. That would be a substantial treatment measure while a vaccine is developed, but it needs early intervention.

Testing testing testing. We should have been building out massive infrastructure for that and medical care for months already rather than insisting it was all a "hoax"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0156-0

ciaa237.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkh

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, gatnom said:

There is definitely a distinct lack of "end game" right now. Herd immunity needs to come one way or another, and it seems unlikely that you'd be able to keep Americans cooped up until a vaccine is developed (12-18 months is the time frame that I've seen speculated). It's hard to imagine the government getting the testing thing together, so I have to imagine this will have to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. Hope I'm wrong.

I realized there is a better metaphor for this. The Endgame is distinctly different if Thanos only gets 5 stones. It’s that last stone finishing the gauntlet that changed the story.

Burr also made news during the last financial crisis.

In 2009 he told his wife to get cash from ATM machines.

“I called my wife and I said . . . ‘I want you to go to the ATM machine, and I want you to draw out everything it will let you take,” he said. “And I want you to tomorrow, and I want you to go Sunday.’ I was convinced on Friday night that if you put a plastic card in an ATM machine the last thing you were going to get was cash.”

But the senator told a private Washington luncheon two weeks after the stock sales that the coronavirus was much more aggressive "than anything that we have seen in recent history," according to a recording obtained by National Public Radio.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241362186.html#storylink=cpy

34 “big thinkers” theories on how coronavirus will transform the country
Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, turnin' two said:

While all of this may be true, it does not make what is happening in Italy (and elsewhere around the world) any less real.  

We have been in "social distancing" for what, a week for most of us?   We all need to suck it up and realize that if we ignore what is happening you could likely kill people.  Yeah, you may be fine, but you could easily transmit the disease to someone else.  

I just feel like the governors are flexing their muscles too much. No discussion with the citizens just hear the medical reports and decide to lock everybody down. I see in Florida they still are being reasonable. Business can be open with up to 50 people as long as there is proof of social distance of 6 feet or more between people in the buildings. I just fear we're going to be locked down for up to eight weeks. Cmon, there has to be a better way to combat this than force us all to be in homes for eight weeks. It's not going to be one or two weeks in our homes; it's going to be 10 weeks and there will be no toilet paper for the commoners like me and no food. Cause I ain't getting in line at 5 a.m. for a store to open at 7 and me run in there like a madman. I'll die first, which I'm sure I will anyway.

I don't sense alarmism from many folks, that's all. It seems like everybody is OK with staying inside 8 weeks. Will one of you that knows how to cut hair fly to Kansas and cut my hair before I'm a longhair 70s guy? Barbershops are closed.

Lawrence is going to be a ghosttown with most of these coronavirus-closed businesses going to go out of business. I guess we'll cross that bridge later.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I just feel like the governors are flexing their muscles too much. No discussion with the citizens just hear the medical reports and decide to lock everybody down. I see in Florida they still are being reasonable. Business can be open with up to 50 people as long as there is proof of social distance of 6 feet or more between people in the buildings. I just fear we're going to be locked down for up to eight weeks. Cmon, there has to be a better way to combat this than force us all to be in homes for eight weeks. It's not going to be one or two weeks in our homes; it's going to be 10 weeks and there will be no toilet paper for the commoners like me and no food. Cause I ain't getting in line at 5 a.m. for a store to open at 7 and me run in there like a madman. I'll die first, which I'm sure I will anyway.

I don't sense alarmism from many folks, that's all. It seems like everybody is OK with staying inside 8 weeks. Will one of you that knows how to cut hair fly to Kansas and cut my hair before I'm a longhair 70s guy? Barbershops are closed.

Lawrence is going to be a ghosttown with most of these coronavirus-closed businesses going to go out of business. I guess we'll cross that bridge later.

There’s no way teenagers and 20 somethings will maintain a six foor distance partying on a Florida beach.

They just down beaches in Australia and parks in Vancouver.   People see others having fun together, think it’s not fair that they aren’t able to enjoy the same freedom and everyone gets in trouble.

No haircut in 8-10 weeks, the world won’t end because no one will see you.

If you guys try to take the compromise route of everyone doing their own thing...people will be out of jobs for months and months, and it will never end.   Hospitals will run out of beds, respirators, staff and ventilators.

We will all lose family members over a cup of coffee, a cancelled Spring Break holiday or a haircut.

If everyone’s only thinking about themselves first, America won’t make it.  If we wait to be saved instead of thinking what sacrifice we can make for our country, what does that say?   Nobody is entitled to a great life, they have to earn it.  We never had to experience World War II, Korea or Vietnam like some of our grandparents or even parents.   That was real courage and sacrifice.  

Here’s someone on your side...

Kevin Hassett, an economist and former CNN contributor who is returning to the Trump administration to help the coronavirus response, said this week that the pandemic could spark a repeat of the Great Depression that began in 1929 and lasted for years.

"We're going to have to either have a Great Depression, or figure out a way to send people back to work even though that's risky," he said. "Because at some point, we can't not have an economy, right?"

cnn.com

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

When we go from the current measures to true Martial Law and arresting people in groups in a few weeks, I hope then maybe, just maybe, you'll start to realize that killing a million people so you can get a haircut is an unfair trade. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When we go from the current measures to true Martial Law and arresting people in groups in a few weeks, I hope then maybe, just maybe, you'll start to realize that killing a million people so you can get a haircut is an unfair trade. 

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

I live in NYC.

I can walk to the store and grab bread, food, toilet paper, pharmacies are open, I can walk my dog, etc. I just can't galavant around willy nilly, hang out in bars, play sports in the park. I'm working from home.

But I'm getting by, getting air, people can go on runs to get exercise.

The only reason toilet paper is selling out is because of people like you causing panic. Coronavirus doesn't give you the shits. No one told you to stock up on it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How do you know that the end of the economy, millions of people out of work resorting to rioting won't be just as bad or worse? Don't blame me for the toilet paper. That's on society. I've not hoarded anything. I got 9 TV dinners, that's it. Then I'm starving if they shut down everything.

23 minutes ago, Quin said:

I live in NYC.

I can walk to the store and grab bread, food, toilet paper, pharmacies are open, I can walk my dog, etc. I just can't galavant around willy nilly, hang out in bars, play sports in the park. I'm working from home.

But I'm getting by, getting air, people can go on runs to get exercise.

The only reason toilet paper is selling out is because of people like you causing panic. Coronavirus doesn't give you the shits. No one told you to stock up on it. 

Well at this point I'm like you. I'm not galavanting anywhere.  I venture to say if you are going to the store for bread, etc., I am coming into contact with no more people per day than you are. I'm not doing anything. I'm trying to say there has to be compromise or there will be no economy. I guess those who hoarded can watch me slowly die once there is no economy.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

They won't want to put the people they arrest in jail to spread corona so will they just shoot them? Where to put the offenders?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s no way teenagers and 20 somethings will maintain a six foor distance partying on a Florida beach.

Here’s someone on your side...

Kevin Hassett, an economist and former CNN contributor who is returning to the Trump administration to help the coronavirus response, said this week that the pandemic could spark a repeat of the Great Depression that began in 1929 and lasted for years.

"We're going to have to either have a Great Depression, or figure out a way to send people back to work even though that's risky," he said. "Because at some point, we can't not have an economy, right?"

cnn.com

Those teens are doing great damage then. Me and my 2 hours driving around and maybe going through a drive through or sitting in a park sounds like will do minimal damage compared to them. What do you want me to do? I have to get out or I will go insane and likely die. I hope people aren't to the point they wish some die. No compromise?

I agree with Kevin Hassett. 

I mean it's late March and we are upset with people who leave their places and walk around a bit in society each day. You think we're going to allow massive crowds for baseball games anytime soon? They won't be playing spectator sports before spectators for a long, long, time, folks. Not in May, not in June, not in July. Will they ultimately have games with no spectators? Made for TV? Not in this environment.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Unfortunately no longer supported by data.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-digestive-symptoms-diarrhea-almost-half-of-patients/

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Those teens are doing great damage then. Me and my 2 hours driving around and maybe going through a drive through or sitting in a park sounds like will do minimal damage compared to them.

The virus can survive up to 2-3 days on plastic surfaces. Every time you sit on a park bench you become a transmission method. 

I can't believe that anyone who claims to be from the Southwest Side is so mentally weak and self-serving.

I mean, if you can read English, you can tell what will be open, and what won't be open. There are and will be ways to take care of the day-to-day needs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

They won't want to put the people they arrest in jail to spread corona so will they just shoot them? Where to put the offenders?

The Department of Justice has asked Congress to create legislation that would allow a judge to order a person jailed indefinitely without trial as long as the emergency continues.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/doj-coronavirus-emergency-powers-140023

And yes, I support that measure.